Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, so I have an engine light on and I took it to the dealer and they told me that my turbo is hitting a max psi of 42, when it should only get to 31 on overboost. Does anyone know what is causing this issue? The car is stock just straight pipes from the cat back. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
No offense, but they will tell you what caused your overboost when they call you to approve repairs (if you're out of warranty) or when you go to pick it up after repairs (if you're in warranty).

·
Super Moderator
8,409 Posts
Hey everyone, so I have an engine light on and I took it to the dealer and they told me that my turbo is hitting a max psi of 42, when it should only get to 31 on overboost. Does anyone know what is causing this issue? The car is stock just straight pipes from the cat back. Thanks!
Huh? The stock turbo cant go over like 26 psi peak physically, and overboost is 23 psi oem tuning.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Huh? The stock turbo cant go over like 26 psi peak physically, and overboost is 23 psi oem tuning.
Sometimes scan tool PIDs are absolute pressure. So boost pressure plus atmospheric pressure. All depends on which scan tool the tech was using.

Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Super Moderator
8,409 Posts
Sometimes scan tool PIDs are absolute pressure. So boost pressure plus atmospheric pressure. All depends on which scan tool the tech was using.
Would be a lot easier to do using bar, lmfao. +1 ftw

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Would be a lot easier to do using bar, lmfao. +1 ftw
I think sometimes the engineers that design these interface programs for some of these scan tools are so far disconnected from the real world, thats why you get readings like that. Nobody ever references against an absolute vacuum. They reference against whatever atmospheric pressure is at thier location.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Unfortunate. That tech story tells us nothing. As long as he fixes the concern, thats all that matters here. There are many things that can cause an overboost condition so that doesnt narrow anything down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts