Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 ST2, AGP BWS turbo, long block
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here it is, Everything you need to run a 4 lobe fuel pump set up.
[edit]. Also Everything you need to run RS injectors.

Continuing off a previous discussion:
I started a new thread with everything included as a reference guide for anyone interested.

Why would you want to do this? the 2.3L 4 lobe fuel pump flows about 25% more fuel per rev and can dish out 700 psi more than the 2.0L 3 lobe fuel pump.
Additionally, this opens up our platform to all 2.3L camshaft sets. (particularly, the affordably priced Ford Racing Performance Mustang camshafts)

This offers an improvement in fueling and camshaft upgrade for a fraction of the cost of staged 3 lobe camshafts.
If you find a used RS fuel pump it can be done for about $425 (neglecting welder labor cost, but including material)

Parts you will need:

As far as cams, any 4 lobe cam for the RS, Flexfuel Ti-VCT, or mustang will work, so long as you do your build right (i.e. upgraded valve springs if needed)
If you do not want to mess with new springs or valves, there are three options:
The FRPP high performance are essentially stage 1 cams. Compatible with stock valvetrain. They have 1mm more of lift, but a lot more duration ( and overlap) making them flow better up top, for loss in torque in low RPM. The stock focus RS cams are very similar to stock ST cams and will retain gas mileage and low end torque - They have a hair more of duration and lift but virtually unnoticeable. I would recommend RS cams cams if you plan to stay stock turbo. They agree with the stock turbo's powerband much better. (still affordably priced) - I would actually recommend RS cams if you plan on building below 450 whp. The FRPP mustang cams are for very high flow builds.

[edit 6/28/21] - The Ti-VCT flex fuel also features a 4 lobe fuel pump cam for driving the higher flowing E85 HPFP. I would assume the cam profile to be similar to the 2.0L EB in terms of lift, however it could be different in regard to duration since the Ti-VCT is naturally aspirated. Not sure.

Fabrication:
Unfortunately there is a little itty bit of fabrication involved for this modification. Its perfectly doable. I'm not a welder and I did fine with the right tools and some practice. Three of the four fuel pump cover mounting bolts line up. the other one does not. This lends itself to a bit of aluminum weld work.

[edit] @Moment is trying out a Plug and Play option using a 2.3L camshaft cap directly. This option may be more feasible. See discussion after post #32 of this thread

[edit] - "itty bit" is humor. Practice practice practice or pay for a welder to help.

You can see the additional Tapped Hole that I have added. I made this piece so that I could still reuse the old Fuel pump for a 3 lobe cam if I ever wanted to go back. The old oiling port in red needs to be plugged and ground flush.
The hole highlighted in blue is the new oiling port. Ford left this port here and blocked it off with the 3 lobe cam cover. It seems they anticipated needing a different oiling route in the future. They cashed in on their foresight with the 4 lobe cam cover (it uses this route) Thanks Ford!

To locate the new tapped hole correctly, you must have the new fuel cover assembled (with 3 bolts) to scribe a hole. The bolt circled in red here is almost good, but not. You have to file out the hole in the RS cover a little bit to make it fit.

Sketched up instructions.

I wasn't as careful with the back because I had full penetration very solid welds on the front mating face, and I didn't want to put any more heat into the part than I needed. Note that I had to grind out the entry for the cam cap bolt.

Important: The camshaft bearing face is a precision tolerance face. Take great care to leave it intact.
If you alter the bearing face, you will likely need to replace the entire cylinder head. This part is line bored with the other cam caps and is not sold individually. It is unique to your engine. This is also why you can't just go out and buy the RS one. As far as weld warping goes, I went nuts on this thing and poured tons of heat into it. There was no detectable warpage in camshaft bearing bore to less than a measurable thousandth (<0.001) This is due to the lovely nature of small aluminum parts heating evenly. The whole thing heats up and cools down at a uniform temperature which makes this all possible.
Welder settings:
  • Multimix tungsten electrode, mild pointed tip, straight cullet
  • AC welding, 120Hz preffered but if your welder cant do that don't worry.
  • 65% inflow, 35% cleaning flow out of the part.
  • pulsing 3 times a second
  • 150 amps
  • 15 psi of shielding gas (used Argon)
Welders feel free to chime in on this^^

2022 update: @Moment pulled a Cam Cap from a 2.3L engine fand skipped all of the TIG welding fun. It is a seemingly Plug and Play option. Post #32 of this thread:

If you have no weld experience and you want to do this mod. First off I'd say, I had zero TIG welding experience and for a bout a week during my lunch break I would go and practice TIG welding on some spare aluminum plate. On the last friday that week I bit the bullet and did it. With about 5 hours of practice I got it done. Secondly I'd say there are plenty of aluminum welders out there that repair crankcases all the time. This would be right in their wheel house. Make the weld on stub and take it to them.

ECU calibration
The stock ST ECU never saw this comin. But with the correct paramters, the 4 lobe fuel pump fits into the ECU strategy quite comfortaby. Most of the parameters I copy straight from the RS, while a few I found worked better to leave the ST values in (things pertaining to the fuel rail). The MFV latency tables (Mass fuel valve) are a bit less complex on the ST ECU so I interpolated values and ended up with a result that works well. Ultimately these MFV tables must be simliar to the RS's for smooth operation. The one table that is subject to preference is Fuel Pressure desired. This table is up to you and/or your tuner. However the table I have made is nice mix between the ST and RS. The car likes it well. The Stock ST injectors never flow enough fuel to call for 2900 psi with my tiny turbo setup, but it has table values ready if they ever decide to.

If you copy the blue values in from my spreadsheet you will be in for a very smooth 4 lobe fuel pump conversion.
I have spent ~30 hr. tuning these parameters and I'm confident in this configuration.

Though the welding was a bit of a curveball, Its perfectly doable. Any aluminum welder should be able to do it. Anyone who does crankcase repair would make quick work of it.

All in all its pretty slick. If you have the Camshafts out for any reason I'd seriously consider doing this mod.
The whole reason I went down this rabbit hole was because I was doing a cylinder head gasket job and saw that Ford has high performance camshafts on sale for $180. The end result is a fuel system that is much more capable.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
It should also be noted that If you wanted to swap a 2.3L head onto a 2.0L,
Those ECU parameters will work nicely if you plan to retain the ST ECU :cool:

2/18/2022 update: Focus RS injectors.

I'm pairing my build with Focus RS injectors now too. Stock ones needed replaced so why not upgrade. RS injectors are $50 a pop from Tasca parts.

Link:
Fuel Injector - Ford (EJ7Z-9F593-C)

They flow about 15% more fuel at any given FRP than the ST injectors. The RS Injectors with the RS HPFP are the reason the 2.3L fuel system is capable of 425 whp. So, ideally, this should lift my fueling from the 370 whp stock ST limit.
Note: these injectors should* work with stock fuel pump, so long as you program your map with the correct injector parameters below.

Font Material property Rectangle Parallel Number

Product Font Computer Screenshot Parallel

Font Screenshot Computer Display device Technology

Font Screenshot Parallel Electronic device Technology

Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Slope Parallel

Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Terrestrial plant

The screenshots overlap. Be careful, the first "Unused" is 1, the second "Unused" is 0.
Booster Current 0 and Booster Current 1 may give you some trouble.. the 2013 ECU seems to not go to 5. for my values I am using
BoosterCuurent0 = 4 and Booster Current 1 = 0.

[edit] - 3/27/2022
Do not change the Injector driver configuration (table 7 above). This injector driver is built into the car's ECU. Use the values for whatever ECU you're running.
I mistakenly used the RS configuration and it throws the fueling way rich, and made tuning the speed density VE curve impossible.

The inlet looks a little different between the ST and the RS, however all of the outer diameter and length dimensions match very well.
Hand Finger Camera lens Automotive tire Cameras & optics

Tire Human body Finger Automotive tire Auto part

There it is: everything you need to upgrade to the RS fuel system.

·
Super Moderator
2,738 Posts
Really impressive work! Glad to have been around to watch this discovery unfold, can’t wait to see what people will do with this information!

A premade cam cap would be all his needs to be perfect.

It really is incredible to see you take what used to be a $1500 fuel pump upgrade and reduce it to a few hundred bucks for mustang cams and a 2.3L fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
A premade cam cap would be all his needs to be perfect.
The problem is that all 5 exhaust cam cap blanks are torqued into place then line bored to tolerance. So premaking a cap would almost certainly take you out of tolerance, otherwise they would just mount them in a fixture and individually bore them to tolerance..

Best I could do would be to draft up some of the weld on stubs and then burn a batch of them out on the plasma table. That way you could just take the idaho shaped cut out to a welder and have them put it together instead of sculpting your own shape.

Reactions: junits15

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It really is incredible to see you take what used to be a $1500 fuel pump upgrade and reduce it to a few hundred bucks for mustang cams and a 2.3L fuel pump.
Hahaha thanks. Frugality breeds creativity…

·
Super Moderator
2,738 Posts
The problem is that all 5 exhaust cam cap blanks are torqued into place then line bored to tolerance. So premaking a cap would almost certainly take you out of tolerance, otherwise they would just mount them in a fixture and bore them to tolerance..

Best I could do would be to draft up some of the weld on stubs and then burn a batch of them out on the plasma table. That way you could just take the idaho shaped cut out to a welder and have them put it together instead of sculpting your own shape.
Ahh I hadn’t considered that, it looks simple enough to do though, the cost of having someone doing that is still so much less than buying the xdi pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is still running great! low FRP is no longer a problem even during full boost on E40.
STFT always slightly negative - always taking fuel away if anything ✅
The bottle neck is now the injectors themselves.

I am considering doing a low boost full E85 tune soon because of absurd 93 octane price. Will update this thread if I do.
Would probably limit boost to 20 psi during the 3000-4000rpm range. - This is the highest fuel demand range on my tiny turbo

Retrospectively, I probably should have gone for the 2.3L cylinder head swap with RS turbo.
I've got all the ECU work done now if anyone wants to lol.

·
Super Moderator
2,738 Posts
This is still running great! low FRP is no longer a problem even during full boost on E40.
STFT always slightly negative - always taking fuel away if anything ✅
The bottle neck is now the injectors themselves.

I am considering doing a low boost full E85 tune soon because of absurd 93 octane price. Will update this thread if I do.
Would probably limit boost to 20 psi during the 3000-4000rpm range. - This is the highest fuel demand range on my tiny turbo

Retrospectively, I probably should have gone for the 2.3L cylinder head swap with RS turbo.
I've got all the ECU work done now if anyone wants to lol.
Really good to hear that, can't wait to see how you do on e85, i bet that torque is going to be insane.

This is still one of my favorite mods, I always like seeing good solutions that utilize factory hardware.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Really good to hear that, can't wait to see how you do on e85, i bet that torque is going to be insane.

This is still one of my favorite mods, I always like seeing good solutions that utilize factory hardware.
i HaVe A tOn oF FORD RACING PERFORMANCE sTiCkERS nOw
(camshafts came with a handful)

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Whataya know. The flex fuel Ti-VCT focus has a unique fuel pump.

Real bummer that I already bought the RS fuel pump. Might have to get on this.
On mazdaspeed forums they discuss having to clean their fuel pumps when they run full E85 Or else they get the "sticky death". I noticed the ST and RS pumps are not rebuildable. This one Looks more like its suited to move corn syrup.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

Well I've bent the fuel tube before, but the feeding line from the gas tank looks like it may be a larger size.. hard to tell.
Also that connector looks different.

It fortunately will fit with the roller tappet that goes in the RS fuel pump mount cover. So thats nice..

This may mean that I'm sticking with E40 for a while. Its right in the sweet spot for my build right now. Why change it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
You are going to make me spend more money on a FWD DD. I hate you.

Great info, seriously, thank you. Built short block is in my basement, ready to go in. Sorely tempted to add this mod in and see what a 2867 .86 AR can do with more fuel (currently 2 port aux and WMI for cleaning).

Did you use a standalone to mod the ECU values or a Cobb AP3?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Excuse me for being dumb. But what are the benefits of this? It's INCREDIBLY interesting to me and when I saw it I felt the overwhelming urge to just buy all the stuff lol.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
That's only really beneficial if youre big turbo though correct? Is there any benefit of having more fuel on stock turbo?

Like ddfred said, you can run higher ethanol blends. I currently stay at E40 very comfortably on a hybrid turbo. When I get a moment I'm going to try E50.

At the fuel starve RPM, i dip down near 700 psi on the fuel system. Which to me seems like a minimum.. This is why I haven't gone to E50 yet. But the Fuel mass injected desired cyl. 1-4, never waivers from Fuel Mass injected actual cyl 1-4. which is what leads me to believe E50 is still on the table. I also have the option of running 20 psi through fuel starve instead of 24 psi. a little less air at those RPMs wouldn't hurt my build. Once I'm in the top end I stay there because of the FRP cams.

This mod is not nearly as radical of an improvement as the Xtreme DI Fuel pump and their injector kit.
But it does buy you a little more headroom. It agrees with the age old moniker of "you pay for what you get".

Since you have to take the timing cover off to get a 4 lobe cam in there, and you have to contract an aluminum welder with some balls to modify the cam cap, I'd say its really only worth doing if you've got the cams out anyway (like I did when I replaced my cylinder head gasket), and you plan to sell your access port with the car (stock tune will no longer be an option..

Reactions: xafnyx
1 - 20 of 52 Posts