Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
3,955 Posts
Alright I'm back in town. Here's the results.

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk
I'd say that's about as close as you're going to get.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
3,955 Posts
Are the reading still pulsing with the GA?
Are you still getting the P06B8?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yes they still pulse with the GA. And idk about the P06B8. I havnt gotten to really drive the car that much since I've been back. It only happened sometimes before so I'll keep an eye out for it over the next few days. I have to take the bumper back off but if memory serves, I think the PCM housing is either partially broken or not closed properly or something. I remember just not messing with it because I didn't really know what it was at the time. However, I took out my fender liners a little while ago for wheel clearance with my wife body kit. Is some water or grime got in there could it have caused this possibly?

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Ok update. JST sent me a new tune that was set up for OEM TMAP and GA for map. I put the OEM TMAP back on the car, and I am having the same symptoms, which would suggest that the issue is in fact with the GA, correct?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
3,955 Posts
Ok update. JST sent me a new tune that was set up for OEM TMAP and GA for map. I put the OEM TMAP back on the car, and I am having the same symptoms, which would suggest that the issue is in fact with the GA, correct?
So the question here is what exactly changed before all this happened. If I remember from you posted the pulsing was showing a fluctuation from vacuum and positive pressure. Was this at idle?

Can you take another video at idle showing MAP, TIP Actual, BARO, Boost pressure?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So the question here is what exactly changed before all this happened. If I remember from you posted the pulsing was showing a fluctuation from vacuum and positive pressure. Was this at idle?

Can you take another video at idle showing MAP, TIP Actual, BARO, Boost pressure?
So the story basically goes like this. I got the car back from the shop after the 2.3 was swapped in. Car was running fine. I installed the 4bar TIP sensor and cut the GA map line into the OEM harness. I spent 10 minutes scratching my head wondering why the car wouldn't run before I realized that I didn't have a tune for the new sensors. Flashed the tune on a few days later and the car started up okay, but would throw the P0106 and limping. After some troubleshooting I figured out that if I cleared the codes the car would run fine (no limp mode, nothing seemingly out of place) until the next time I shut it off and started it again. I started inspecting the pressure lines and wires to try and track down the issue, and discovered that the shop that did the engine swap had reversed the input/output boost lines into the GA. (install instructions have a warning that says to take caution not to do this, but they don't specify if it could cause damage or if it would just not work properly) I fixed the boost line hoping that would resolve the issue but it did not. Today I replaced the OEM TIP sensor on the intercooler and flashed the tune, but the car remains with the same symptoms. I fear that running the engine for a while and putting roughly 20psi through the GA in the wrong direction may have damaged it. I've tried contacting Stratified to ask about it but the only guy there that seems to know anything about it is always busy and i can never get him on the line. Video below:

Here is a video of a few different scenarios I thought you might care about.
OEM TIP sensor (known good)
GA 4bar output on intake manifold

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
3,955 Posts
So the story basically goes like this. I got the car back from the shop after the 2.3 was swapped in. Car was running fine. I installed the 4bar TIP sensor and cut the GA map line into the OEM harness. I spent 10 minutes scratching my head wondering why the car wouldn't run before I realized that I didn't have a tune for the new sensors. Flashed the tune on a few days later and the car started up okay, but would throw the P0106 and limping. After some troubleshooting I figured out that if I cleared the codes the car would run fine (no limp mode, nothing seemingly out of place) until the next time I shut it off and started it again. I started inspecting the pressure lines and wires to try and track down the issue, and discovered that the shop that did the engine swap had reversed the input/output boost lines into the GA. (install instructions have a warning that says to take caution not to do this, but they don't specify if it could cause damage or if it would just not work properly) I fixed the boost line hoping that would resolve the issue but it did not. Today I replaced the OEM TIP sensor on the intercooler and flashed the tune, but the car remains with the same symptoms. I fear that running the engine for a while and putting roughly 20psi through the GA in the wrong direction may have damaged it. I've tried contacting Stratified to ask about it but the only guy there that seems to know anything about it is always busy and i can never get him on the line. Video below:

Here is a video of a few different scenarios I thought you might care about.
OEM TIP sensor (known good)
GA 4bar output on intake manifold
There is definitely something incorrect about the GA. Without being there it's difficult to say exactly.

The issue here is that the Factory MAP sensor is using a clean power and ground source to the sensor VREF (5+ VDC) & SIGRTN (5- VDC) this is then used by the sensor to send an output to the PCM.
Product Rectangle Font Building Parallel

This helps to prevent outside interference from messing with the signal.

I haven't screwed around with the GA too much and I have a personal opinion about them. But if your are taking an outside signal and pushing it into the PCM then you will have a chance for conflict or problems.

Can you PM me the GA instructions?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
3,955 Posts
The instructions can be downloaded of stratified's website here.
Also the product description on their website includes some useful information aswell
OK, you cut the factory MAP sensor Pin 1 Blue wire and connected the GA green wire to the blue wire end that runs back to the PCM?

And the Blue wire on the GA in not hooked up to anything correct?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
OK, you cut the factory MAP sensor Pin 1 Blue wire and connected the GA green wire to the blue wire end that runs back to the PCM?

And the Blue wire on the GA in not hooked up to anything correct?
correct, looks just like this, with the one small exception that there is also a wire going to the split second controller for the aux fuel system that is parallel with the green line from the GA:

Rectangle Line Font Parallel Slope

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
3,955 Posts
correct, looks just like this, with the one small exception that there is also a wire going to the split second controller for the aux fuel system that is parallel with the green line from the GA:

View attachment 404162
What model SS system are you using?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
3,955 Posts
I'm not sure but it's the one included with this kit
The instructions for that kit are available here
View attachment 404163
I see posi-tap and I want to throw up in my mouth. Then read "no damage to OEM harness" and literally laughed out loud.

But any way...

It's pretty clear that something is clearly malfunctioning. Try pulling the fuse from the SS controller and see if that pulse goes away. If it doesn't then you really need to look at the GA. Hooking up the boost input and output could definitely cause damage. I am kinda shocked that they don't call for a couple of diodes to protect that PCM.

But that's just me thinking out loud

·
Administrator
14,310 Posts
I see posi-tap and I want to throw up in my mouth. Then read "no damage to OEM harness" and literally laughed out loud.

But any way...

It's pretty clear that something is clearly malfunctioning. Try pulling the fuse from the SS controller and see if that pulse goes away. If it doesn't then you really need to look at the GA. Hooking up the boost input and output could definitely cause damage. I am kinda shocked that they don't call for a couple of diodes to protect that PCM.

But that's just me thinking out loud
Hey man, positaps aren't that bad. At least its not a suitcase.

• Haha
Reactions: TurboGT

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
3,955 Posts
You're still poking holes into a wire that is exposed to the elements (heat, moisture, shock). It's just been my experience that they aren't a long term connection. But on the flip side of that equation I've seen a lot of improperly made soldered connections in my day as well.

It's just my opinion on the subject. However your 100% correct that at least it's not a **** loc connection.

• Haha
Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
You're still poking holes into a wire that is exposed to the elements (heat, moisture, shock). It's just been my experience that they aren't a long term connection. But on the flip side of that equation I've seen a lot of improperly made soldered connections in my day as well.

It's just my opinion on the subject. However your 100% correct that at least it's not a **** loc connection.
There are no posi taps in my map line. When I cut in the GA I removed the posi tap and put it in through the crimped connector instead

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
3,955 Posts
Well the GA is now considering the MAP sensor output. The SS and PCM are taking the output from the GA and doing their respective things with it.

If the SS is back feeding the circuit then it could be causing the issue. This is why I suggested pulling the fuse from it to see if the pulsing stopped.

If the pulse and error continued then I would say it's an issue with the GA.

·
Administrator
14,310 Posts

Lol yeah, I compound the posi's up. So the pierce is watertight/antiox, and the tapping wire end is watertight/ antiox. Which is the flaw in its OEM configuration, and one of the many sources of your anger. Lol

Off the shelf, yeah, not stellar.

·
Administrator
14,310 Posts
Well the GA is now considering the MAP sensor output. The SS and PCM are taking the output from the GA and doing their respective things with it.

If the SS is back feeding the circuit then it could be causing the issue. This is why I suggested pulling the fuse from it to see if the pulsing stopped.

GA sucks imho. Its more issues and BS then it's worth. Still havnt heard of anyone saying "OMG GA SAVED MY MOTOR!" I mostly hear from tuners "Please remove the GA so we can tune properly" lol

Idk, maybe I just missed all the sucess stories of it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)

At this point I really wouldn't mind just putting a proper 4bar map sensor in. Only reason I didn't do that to begin with is because every time I looked for one GA just came up. Do you guys know where I can find one?

Also doing so is gonna be a pain now that I've cut the MAP signal wife smh.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts