Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Swapped my tip sensor to the Bosch 4 bar that Stratified sells. I also tapped the Guardian Angel into the MAP sensor line as shown in the instructions. (Snip the MAP line, and tap in the output from the Guardian Angel instead) I uploaded the tune from JST for the 4 bar and got the car running, but now it's throwing P0106 and limping. It's strange though because if I clear the codes and start the car it will run perfectly fine until the next time I start it. I found that the shop that did my engine swap had my boost lines input/output swapped on the Guardian Angel but I fixed that and it didn't do anything. Any ideas? Wiring was a little janky but I just redid it properly and it doesn't seem to have fixed it. It's noteworthy that I am also getting the occasional P06B8 but I don't know if that's related.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
3,960 Posts
You rang?

Reactions: beretta96

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
p06b8 is a memory error. your could be on the way to a PCM failure.

p0106 could be as simple as the calibration for the new 4bar sensor is off and its reading out of voltage range. or bad wiring job when connecting the GA.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
7,199 Posts
In my personal experience (on non-foci) a p0106 is commonly caused by a mismatch of intake manifold vacuum in relation to throttle position. The simple fix for this was a throttle body clean and adaptive reset. This obviously isn the case with your new engine, however the manifold vacuum/throttle angle mismatch can be caused by a few things, so I'll throw out a few ideas:
-Cam profile causing reduction in intake vacuum
-Wrong sensor packaged and shipped to you
-Wrong scaling sent in your tune
-Something in the mess of guardian angel vacuum lines is affecting map readings. (Bypass this altogether for testing purposes and put the map directly into the intake)

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
3,960 Posts
Cold soak engine (6 hours)
KOEO (key on engine off)
Compare:
Tmap (boost pressure sensor)
MAP (manifold absolute pressure)
BARO (barometric pressure)
Post the results

When you say wiring is a mess what do you mean exactly.

Internal control module NVRAM error is an issue with the PCM.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
KOEO (key on engine off)
Compare:
Post the results

Ok will do.

I had 2 wires jammed into a connector they didn't really fit into. I bought larger connector and redid it. Image is how it's wired up.

I have a bad feeling that the tune's scalar and offset are set incorrectly so I emailed JST and asked them to verify. He told me to put the old sensor back in but if he knew I was using a GA or how that works he'd know that's not very easily possible.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
KOEO (key on engine off)
Compare:
Post the results

Results are in. I took a video of the AccessPort. As you can see from the video MAP and boost were fluctuating in time with the GA's BIT cycle. I doubt that's a coincidence, but I just wanted to upload a video to show what I'm seeing anyways. MAP looked a little higher than baro and I'm ASSUMING they are supposed to be the same but idk. What do you take from this?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
3,960 Posts
Yeah that a problem
Results are in. I took a video of the AccessPort. As you can see from the video MAP and boost were fluctuating in time with the GA's BIT cycle. I doubt that's a coincidence, but I just wanted to upload a video to show what I'm seeing anyways. MAP looked a little higher than baro and I'm ASSUMING they are supposed to be the same but idk. What do you take from this?
Yeah there's a fairly large difference. All these different things tied together is causing an issue with the PCM. Hopefully it hasn't damaged it.

Font Screenshot Number Parallel

Font Parallel Number Screenshot

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
3,960 Posts
Audio equipment Font Number Signage Circle

Your MAP & BARO looks good.
Something is definitely screwing with your TMAP...

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
3,960 Posts
Here are two different pictures of mine. I'm 900 ft above sea level.

Font Electric blue Advertising Number Signage

Holding steady

-------

Font Electric blue Rectangle Number Circle

This is the correct test

See how close everything is?
This is what the PCM is expecting to see.

Even when I'm monitoring Boost pressure (which I never do because it's a BS value that tells you nothing) it holds correctly and consistent.

This is a wiring or scaling or both (I lean towards both). You don't need to physically install the old TMAP back into the end tank to test the output. Just plug it into the connector.

Reactions: ST1Dale

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Here are two different pictures of mine. I'm 900 ft above sea level.

View attachment 403148
Holding steady

-------

View attachment 403149
This is the correct test

See how close everything is?
This is what the PCM is expecting to see.

Even when I'm monitoring Boost pressure (which I never do because it's a BS value that tells you nothing) it holds correctly and consistent.

This is a wiring or scaling or both (I lean towards both). You don't need to physically install the old TMAP back into the end tank to test the output. Just plug it into the connector.
So you're thinking the TIP is the issue? Ie. The one on the intercooler? I thought that one was fine. That one is using the OEM wiring harness/plug. I just swapped the sensor out for that one. And the wiring for the MAP on the intake manifold is pretty solid as of when I took that video too.

I literally just left for the airport to go home so unfortunately I'll have to wait until next month to troubleshoot further, but I SHOULD get an email from JST today so we'll see what he says about the scalar and offset in the tune.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
3,960 Posts
So you're thinking the TIP is the issue? Ie. The one on the intercooler? I thought that one was fine. That one is using the OEM wiring harness/plug. I just swapped the sensor out for that one. And the wiring for the MAP on the intake manifold is pretty solid as of when I took that video too.

I literally just left for the airport to go home so unfortunately I'll have to wait until next month to troubleshoot further, but I SHOULD get an email from JST today so we'll see what he says about the scalar and offset in the tune.
Recheck the test using the TIP Actual.
It's the strange pulsing that have me concerned

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Recheck the test using the TIP Actual.
It's the strange pulsing that have me concerned
Okay I will when I get back. Idk if you're familiar with Guardian Angel at all, but when it receives power it runs a BIT until I senses the car pull a vacuum. Basically during the BIT, the GA cycles itself (I think it opens and closes a solenoid in the boost line) and you know when it activates because that red warning light on my A pillar turns on. The pulsing was in sync with the pulsing of the BIT so I think it might have something to do with the GA opening and closing the line or something.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
3,960 Posts
If scaling is off then it may be causing the issue.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
3,960 Posts
JST got back to me. They said that he double checked and has the correct settings. Maybe the output from the Guardian Angel is bad?
Recheck the values using
MAP
BARO
TIP Actual
Font Electric blue Technology Pattern Screenshot

Because if your parameters were okay then you wouldn't have a DTC.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts