Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've owned my 2016 ST3 for about 8 months and have been daily driving it with little issue. However, in the past 2-3 weeks I've been having an issue when I'm doing a pull going from 2nd to 3rd. When I go shift into 3rd in a pull, I've been shifting between 5k-redline (obviously not hitting redline lol) and it sounds like I almost missed the gear and put it into neutral and got back on the throttle, or let my foot linger on the clutch and jump on the gas. When it happened the first 2 times I thought that was the issue, however, I've quickly found that it's not that. When I get off the throttle, the revs go back to what I'd assume them to be at before this started happening. The way the revs move feels as if the tires are spinning, but I have TCS on, am on a dry road, and don't hear anything. Also doesn't feel at all like the tires are spinning, as the car is still kinda pulling although slower.

The only new performance mod I've gotten recently was an Invidia Q300 exhaust about a month ago, I don't see why this would have any effect on it but thought it was worth a mention.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
10,699 Posts
Hi all,

I've owned my 2016 ST3 for about 8 months and have been daily driving it with little issue. However, in the past 2-3 weeks I've been having an issue when I'm doing a pull going from 2nd to 3rd. When I go shift into 3rd in a pull, I've been shifting between 5k-redline (obviously not hitting redline lol) and it sounds like I almost missed the gear and put it into neutral and got back on the throttle, or let my foot linger on the clutch and jump on the gas. When it happened the first 2 times I thought that was the issue, however, I've quickly found that it's not that. When I get off the throttle, the revs go back to what I'd assume them to be at before this started happening. The way the revs move feels as if the tires are spinning, but I have TCS on, am on a dry road, and don't hear anything. Also doesn't feel at all like the tires are spinning, as the car is still kinda pulling although slower.

The only new performance mod I've gotten recently was an Invidia Q300 exhaust about a month ago, I don't see why this would have any effect on it but thought it was worth a mention.

Any help would be appreciated!
Clutch is slipping.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
5,795 Posts
A quick free check you can do (just costs you time and a little brake fluid) is to remove the clutch line restrictor. Which lives under the battery box. Its between the steel hard line and the rubber flex line.

Depending how fast you're shifting, you may be experiencing a restriction in this unit that is keeping the clutch from fully releasing. I noticed mine doing this before it locked up (clutch fully released 100%of the time)

Automotive lighting Audio equipment Gas Automotive tire Bumper

Note that this car has a braided clutch line.

Also, bleed the clutch with the brake fluid level at or slightly above "MAX" line.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts