Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I am wanting to buy the Mountune MRX turbo upgrade kit with the Mountune downpipe. This should give about 350whp.

I already have the other supporting mods of fmic and accessport.

I am planning to keep my car for a long time, last car I had lasted over 18years.

Just wondering about whether it is recommended get the engine built with forged pistons, connecting rods and main bearings?

I have seen the Stratified diagram for Focus ST upgrades, showing what whp are expected with what mods. The Stratified diagram recommends built motor when 420whp reached.

Mountune on their website, I guess to cover them, recommend the motor built when buying their turbo upgrade kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've seen people blow their motors on stock turbo....I think it mostly depends on how solid your tune is and how well you maintain your engine. Personally, I think at 350whp you'd probably be ok, pending you have a solid well maintained tune and you don't do anything stupid that could blow it. I could be wrong, as I'm still new to the platform, but I think you could probably get away without building the motor. If it were me, I'd just do the upgraded turbo now, and save for when/if the motor does go so you can build it exactly how you want.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I "think" you would be fine on stock bottom end, but it is sort of like insurance. Spend the $,$$$ of built bottom end and might never need it, don't spend it and potentially wish you had.... I suppose it boils down to how much $ you want to spend on a new car, how you drive, maintain and tune it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
In for responses

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am running a GTX2867 .64 on the stock motor for over a year now. I bought the forged stroker kit from speedperformance last summer, but I am still holding off on the installation, as I had been curious on how the stock internals will last with the big turbo. So far the car runs really well without any issues, don't think I am quite 350whp, think more like 320-30whp. I have been monitoring blowby's and cylinder compression regularly. Might just end up installing the stroker kit soon though since I don't know how long I will end up having this car, might as well enjoy it with all the parts before selling it in the future.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
370 whp daily driven for 35000 miles. Car was at 50k when it got wrecked and motor was pulled and turned into a 2.3 stroker. Car did many dyno runs, over a 1000 datalogs and numerous canyon runs. Motor was fine internally and showed only standard wear. Maintenance, fuel and proper tune are key.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am running a GTX2867 .64 on the stock motor for over a year now. I bought the forged stroker kit from speedperformance last summer, but I am still holding off on the installation, as I had been curious on how the stock internals will last with the big turbo. So far the car runs really well without any issues, don't think I am quite 350whp, think more like 320-30whp. I have been monitoring blowby's and cylinder compression regularly. Might just end up installing the stroker kit soon though since I don't know how long I will end up having this car, might as well enjoy it with all the parts before selling it in the future.
Do you have a build thread?

·
Registered
484 Posts
So...im on the Speed By Design red turbo (2867). Did the turbo install at 29k, and sitting on 56k right now. Working on top-up tune for the Xtra-Fuel kit I just added and hitting 385hp/400Q on the virtual dyno. Atm my car runs awesome, ive had no issues (knockin wood). As soon as I'm done with this tune, I'm going to go do an actual dyno run and do a compression check. I've had Stratified tunes from the beginning. First their OTS tune, then e30, then 93 with the big turbo, and now e40 on the big turbo with xtra fuel. As has been said carefully manage your tune and fuel requirements, monitor your ignition correction numbers after adding fuel.

I feel pretty confident that the stock internals will handle this level of HP with a correct tune. Stratified says history thus far supports that approach and I trust their guidance.

I did just pick up a used motor with forged internals a guy was selling on here with 7k miles as an insurance policy. But for now, couldn't be happier with the car and it's my DD with 160 miles a day. Looking to get around the 400hp number and chill for a while. Next up for me will prolly be LSD.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have the GTX2867r and tuned from Stratified. I am up in Adelaide and have been running this setup for about 5000km now. No loss of compression and was the best upgrade by far.

I am ensuring proper regular maintenance and am doing my oil changes at 5000km now. I am also using the real good stuff. I hope to get many many more km out of it. I think if your tune is on point by a reputable tuner and you maintain it, the engine should be fine. I am busy talking to Panda at the moment about a forged build as I would like to up the power level next year and can't find anyone local who knows anything about our engines.

Note that because you live in melbourne you have a very good tuner named Troy from chequered tuning, who is reasonably familiar with our platform. I wanted to get a tune by him but couldn't be bothered driving the 8 or so hours each way.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Been on my GTX2867r since January 2015, 40k miles or so, I have daily driven mine off and on, other times the only time it gets driven is to drive it as hard as possible. As mentioned above in this mentioned power range proper maintenance and attention and it will take whatever you give it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts