Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have to say that this intercooler is one hell of a deal and it performs awesome as well as looks great! The install took about 2 hours in total. Depo Intercooler.jpg I highly recommend this if you are not looking to spend a ton of money like the others have theirs priced at.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I decided to wait on the Mishimoto since he was sold out of these 3.5 and was a month out anyways. I do agree it looks like a good bang for buck though!

·
Super Moderator
8,089 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
When I got mine I spent about 2-3 weeks checking the website every hour I was at work and eventually they said "In Stock" and I purchased right away. This IC is worth the wait.

Reactions: oldloudmouth

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
yes exact fit, no cutting/drill/powertools, complete bolt on
What about the map sensor? On the beast, a larger bolt is used requiring some tools to get the metal plate out to fit it.

·
Super Moderator
8,089 Posts
yes exact fit, no cutting/drill/powertools, complete bolt on
What about the map sensor? On the beast, a larger bolt is used requiring some tools to get the metal plate out to fit it.
It is almost always a direct fit with absolutely no drilling or modification. There have been very limited batches that had to be slightly drilled to get the map sensor seated properly, but that was definitely resolved by Tim. He acknowledged the problem publically and made sure it was resolved when it first happened, I guess if it happens again it wouldn't be a total shock when you make hundreds of them at a time lol but it should be direct bolt on currently.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Don't be thick... of course you are going to need tools, good luck getting the bumper off without tools. You DO NOT need a drill or any power tools for the project, PERIOD! Don't think so then you shouldn't be working on cars.

It is almost always a direct fit with absolutely no drilling or modification. There have been very limited batches that had to be slightly drilled to get the map sensor seated properly, but that was definitely resolved by Tim. He acknowledged the problem publically and made sure it was resolved when it first happened, I guess if it happens again it wouldn't be a total shock when you make hundreds of them at a time lol but it should be direct bolt on currently.
I myself have installed more several Depo FMICs and while no they aren't all perfect they are such a great buy that I just don't care if it isn't a perfect work of art... it isn't as if you can see it anyways.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Don't be thick... of course you are going to need tools, good luck getting the bumper off without tools. You DO NOT need a drill or any power tools for the project, PERIOD! Don't think so then you shouldn't be working on cars.

I myself have installed more several Depo FMICs and while no they aren't all perfect they are such a great buy that I just don't care if it isn't a perfect work of art... it isn't as if you can see it anyways.
How do you get that metal clip out of the map sensor without drilling it out? That what was suggested in the directions posted in this forum. I'm not just coming up with this as some hack that shouldn't be working on cars.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
How do you get that metal clip out of the map sensor without drilling it out? That what was suggested in the directions posted in this forum. I'm not just coming up with this as some hack that shouldn't be working on cars.
it is just a metal ring and can be punched out with a large screw driver or even better a punch.

Sorry don't mean to sound like such a ****head but... just laying it out.

Honestly I didn't even think of drilling it out, I don't know how that would work, wouldn't/doesn't the metal ring just spin?

·
Registered
22 Posts
it is just a metal ring and can be punched out with a large screw driver or even better a punch.

Sorry don't mean to sound like such a ****head but... just laying it out.

Honestly I didn't even think of drilling it out, I don't know how that would work, wouldn't/doesn't the metal ring just spin?
FWIW - I just installed mine last night - on my 2017, there was no metal insert ring (just plastic) and it definitely needed to be drilled out.

Additionally, the design for the lower mounting was not ideal - would have been so much nicer if it could have reused the captive clip-nuts from the stock intercooler.

Finally, the metal clips that bolt onto the intercooler for the upper and lower mounts appeared to be mild steel - also not great on a vehicle that needs to survive Michigan winters. I threw a bit of paint on them to at least slow down the dissimilar metals corrosion, but this is going to require periodic inspection - if it ends of being a problem I'll likely re-do them in stainless.

That said, once it was in it fit perfectly and everything else went back together without a hitch.

Did some datalogging today with my new Stratified tune - once I got the OAR to -1, I did several WOT pulls in 3rd gear (2500-6500rpm). The charge air temps consistently started at 58 degF at the beginning of the pull and only climbed to 61 degF at 6500rpm. That's pretty impressive. At this price/performance I can live with minor tweaking required.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts