Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've had my '16 for almost three months and 3,800 miles now (that includes a 1,200 mile road trip) and I'm bored on Christmas, so I thought I'd share some thoughts and see what you guys think. Comment or not...merry Christmas guys! In no particular order...

-This is my first non-muscle, front wheel drive car. When not heavy on the gas, I have been pleasantly surprised how non-front wheel driveish this car feels to me. I may be alone on that one, but I've certainly driven front wheel drive cars that I just absolutely hated the feel of.

-Not my first manual tranny, but my first 4 cyl/turbo type car. Was really surprised by the extreme lack of engine braking when downshifting. Thing doesn't slow down at all using the engine.

-This car is possessed!! Every time you open the door, something's cycling, making noises, running, adjusting, and whatever the heck else is going on, LOL! If you get in and shut the door and don't crank it or do anything (yes, I like to get in it sometimes and just sit there, ;-) it makes noises and then the gas and temp needles will do a little dance and cycle through this movement. No problems from any of it, so I've been assuming it's all normal. (I guess someone please respond to this one...would like to know what all is going on here)

-I've already experienced the whole engine banging around thing. Don't remember if it was self induced or traction control kicking in, but guess I'll be doing some RMM homework to fix that one, lol.

-My average fuel mileage indicator is usually off by about 2 mpg at the end of a tank. One time I actually got better than it reported. Not getting as good as I expected from the car, but nothing to complain about, and it's still new.

-I think this has been an extremely underrated, underestimated, and overlooked car. I love telling friends about the new car and seeing their reaction. It usually start with "You bought a what...a Focus...hahahahhahha...did your grandma sell you hers or something??" and is usually followed up by "dang dude...THIS is a Focus???" with their jaw on the floor.

-I have thoroughly enjoyed the fact that this car feels like much more than what it is. I haven't lost sight that it's still just a Ford Focus, but I think the quality, especially the interior and leather are on point. But really haven't found too much about the car I don't like. It feels like you're in something better than a Focus when driving...the seats, the (heated) steering wheel, turning headlights, all just a nice package. Certainly an amazing bang for the buck vehicle.

-So far, other than having a missing sound symposer (misbuild from the factory), I've had no glitches or issues...knock on wood.

-The rear seat child car seat connection points...when the seats are folded down, they mash into the seat and leave a dent that took a while to pop out. Haven't looked down in there yet, but are those restraint brackets just bolted in such that they can be removed?

-So far, the only thing I think I've actually said "they should have done this" to, is shoulda had cooled seats as well. But for this market, I guess it's all about balance and price point.

IMG_1309.JPG
IMG_1307.JPG

·
Registered
222 Posts
Good stuff. I feel the same way on most things. You aren't missing anything regarding the sound symposer...just an eventually annoying feature that loses its appeal rather quickly. You would have deleted it anyways more than likely.

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
No major complaints >1500 miles in. When I first got mine, I thought the symposer was cool. Quickly got a catback system and couldn't dump the symposer fast enough.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Merry Christmas.
What do you mean by 'Non-muscle car'? The ST has more power and torque than the first Mustang!
Have a nice day..

·
Registered
3 Posts
-Not my first manual tranny, but my first 4 cyl/turbo type car. Was really surprised by the extreme lack of engine braking when downshifting. Thing doesn't slow down at all using the engine.

-This car is possessed!! Every time you open the door, something's cycling, making noises, running, adjusting, and whatever the heck else is going on, LOL! If you get in and shut the door and don't crank it or do anything (yes, I like to get in it sometimes and just sit there, ;-) it makes noises and then the gas and temp needles will do a little dance and cycle through this movement. No problems from any of it, so I've been assuming it's all normal. (I guess someone please respond to this one...would like to know what all is going on here)
Engine braking is simply a factor of number of cylinders and compression ratio. Our VW TDI 4 cyl engine brakes quite well with 16.5:1 CR

The gauge flutter is self diagnostics. My '13 GT did the same thing about 2-3 minutes after you shut the car off. I used to sit it it as well. It would cycle through the color scheme and they would wiggle around in a pattern for 30 seconds or so.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
3 Months In...Thoughts, Findings, & Questions....

@galaxy7 i think you are on point and I agree big time on the cooled seats... wife's car has heated/cooled seat and I love it. Funny she never uses the cooled seats only heat

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh yea, forgot this tiny observation on my list...

When I pull up to park somewhere with the clutch in, car still in gear, and idle drops to normal, pulling the parking brake will cause the idle to increase to almost 1,000. Found that one weird.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
@galaxy7 i think you are on point and I agree big time on the cooled seats... wife's car has heated/cooled seat and I love it. Funny she never uses the cooled seats only heat
If im not mistaken, I think you need perforated leather for cooled seats. Personally I think if we had the perf leather, it would ruin the interior, but thats just me

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
If im not mistaken, I think you need perforated leather for cooled seats. Personally I think if we had the perf leather, it would ruin the interior, but thats just me
Yeah you would need perforated leather for cooled... I could live with it but understand the look thing too

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
FYI, your gas mileage will improve bit by bit till around 8 to 10K if my experience is an indicator.

·
Registered
31 Posts

I'm sure there are some here who can tell you the engineering details of the activity that happens when the driver opens the door,

BUT

When I open the door, it seems the car starts beeping and hissing as if it is saying: "Can we go REAL FAST, Huh? Can We, Can We?"
I'm suprised it doesn't start shaking and squeaking like R2D2!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I haven't crawled under and confirmed, but this car should have the eFocus RMM already, correct? May forego an aftermarket RMM and just add the traction bar; that seems to be a very nice balance.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I haven't crawled under and confirmed, but this car should have the eFocus RMM already, correct? May forego an aftermarket RMM and just add the traction bar; that seems to be a very nice balance.
Correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
704 Posts
I had a 2012 SE before this and am amazed at how much different the ST feels. I thought it would be the SE with more power and a little better handling, but it really feels like I'm driving something that's more than that. More than the power or anything else, it just feels like something special and, for me, that's a rare feeling. I'm over 20k miles now and I average about 30 mpg per tank on regular fuel blend and I'm down to about 26 on the winter gas blend.

And, yes, the lack of engine braking is odd. My SE was like that, too—a lot less than my 1990 Subaru, which had lower compression (even lower than the ST, I believe, which shows the pace of progress), similar gearing (actually, a slightly taller 5th than the STs 6th), but was a 2.2.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had a 2012 SE before this and am amazed at how much different the ST feels. I thought it would be the SE with more power and a little better handling, but it really feels like I'm driving something that's more than that. More than the power or anything else, it just feels like something special and, for me, that's a rare feeling. I'm over 20k miles now and I average about 30 mpg per tank on regular fuel blend and I'm down to about 26 on the winter gas blend.

Had those same thoughts about a regular Focus vs the ST. Have considered going to test drive an SE just to see/feel the difference, did not expect it to that drastic of a difference, by what you describe it seems my assumptions are far from truth.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Spot on with most of this. I'm still a big fan of the look of the car, and I never liked the look of the regular focus. But when they slapped that different nose on the ST I was an instant fan.
If you haven't experienced it, the 1-2 shift bang and wheel hop caused by too-soft RMM's and UMM's are annoying. I have cycled thru different motor mount setups and honestly, once you drive around a while with that increased NVH you will switch back to the eFocus RMM and stock UMM. I don't make a habit of shifting that hard and have learned to take it a little easy in the rain. I also switched to AS3's which alleviates some of the issues at the cost of reduced traction in the warm-dry. Also, don't listen to people that tell you the wheel-hop is caused by traction control licking in, and that turning it off reduces the problem. Stock TC pulls back on power to allow the tires to regain traction and this has no effect on wheel hop. Also, people that say you get used to the increased NVH from harder mounts have more tolerance than me.
Overall, I am still blown away by my ST3. I recently hit a deer and was in serious withdrawal after a few days driving the Chrysler 200 from Enterprise while waiting for the repairs to be done.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you haven't experienced it, the 1-2 shift bang and wheel hop caused by too-soft RMM's and UMM's are annoying. I have cycled thru different motor mount setups and honestly, once you drive around a while with that increased NVH you will switch back to the eFocus RMM and stock UMM. ...Also, people that say you get used to the increased NVH from harder mounts have more tolerance than me.
Funny you mention this today! I literally spent the better part of early yesterday afternoon researching RMM's. I read almost every single page of the RMM thread and then some. I came to the conclusion and overwhelming consensus that the eFocus RMM (so for me that means stay stock) is the way to go. I also found quite a few testimonies that a traction bar in conjunction with the eFocus RMM is a rather nice combo. I believe I'll go that route. But yea, I have had the bang a couple times. Oh well...I don't drive that aggressive enough of the time apparently. But I'll say this...I can't imagine how horrible the stock RMM must have been prior to the TSB.

I also switched to AS3's which alleviates some of the issues at the cost of reduced traction in the warm-dry.
Probably couldn't tell, but that's what I'm running now. 245/35's. Tire Rack has an awesome clearance price on AS3's right now since they are pushing the newer AS3+.

**Another finding I forgot to add on my original post...

-The auto headlight and auto dimming feature of the Sync screen must be on separate sensors. The headlights turn on and off just fine, but when it starts to get dusk, my Sync screen can't make up it's mind what it want's to do for quite a while. It'll go back and forth, back and forth until it finally gets dark enough to remain in night mode.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts