Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought Ford Focus ST2 Diesel. It didn't arrive yet, but it should soon.
I have a few questions and I hope you can answer them:

1. The first of the three gauges is oil temperature. However, there is also oil temperature on the dashboard. What is the difference between these two?
2. Second gauge is turbocharger boost and it goes from 0 - 2 bars. What does it mean, I mean, how does the turbocharger work? I'm not really an expert on cars and engines, so a detailed explanation would be nice
3. Third gauge is oil pressure. Oil pressire where, what does it affect?
4. Standard tires are 235/40 R18 and optional 235/35/ R19. What is the difference between those two, which are better? (I went for standard)
5. Is there a difference, other than looks (so in performance or something), between red brake callipers and standard ones (again, I went for standard)

The following are not really ST questions, but general Ford questions
6. If I connect Android phone via USB, does the car take phones navigation app and shows it on display?
7. Are the voice commands working fine? E.g. for saying which song do you want or who to call?
8. It is enough to have the key in the car and you can turn on the car. But if I leave the car in the garage and the key in the car ovenight or longer, does it drain the battery or affect the car somehow?

Also, if you have some general things to say to a new ST owner, I would appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
1. The first of the three gauges is oil temperature. However, there is also oil temperature on the dashboard. What is the difference between these two? There is oil temp on the "three gauge" cluster and coolant temp in the dash.
2. Second gauge is turbocharger boost and it goes from 0 - 2 bars. What does it mean, I mean, how does the turbocharger work? I'm not really an expert on cars and engines, so a detailed explanation would be nice. The higher the Bar/Psi the boost you are creating therefore more power. A turbo works by utilizing the exhaust from the motor. It passes the exhaust through the turbo which is like a fan, so when the exhaust starts to spin this fan it compresses air on the other end into the motor. More air in the motor combined with more fuel equals more power.
3. Third gauge is oil pressure. Oil pressire where, what does it affect? Oil pressure makes sure you are not starving the motor/turbo of oil by not letting it warm up all the way or if you are low on oil you'll notice.
4. Standard tires are 235/40 R18 and optional 235/35/ R19. What is the difference between those two, which are better? (I went for standard) The 18's will ride better and last longer. Both sizes are the same width (235mm) so traction will be the same, the 19's would just be a lower profile tire for cosmetic reasons and not ride as nice due to having a smaller sidewall.
5. Is there a difference, other than looks (so in performance or something), between red brake callipers and standard ones (again, I went for standard) No difference in performance, just cosmetic.

The following are not really ST questions, but general Ford questions
6. If I connect Android phone via USB, does the car take phones navigation app and shows it on display? (I don't believe so, but I am not 100% as I have a 2013 and the systems are different.)
7. Are the voice commands working fine? E.g. for saying which song do you want or who to call? (Again not sure as I have the older system which is different, someone else will have to chime in)
8. It is enough to have the key in the car and you can turn on the car. But if I leave the car in the garage and the key in the car ovenight or longer, does it drain the battery or affect the car somehow? No it will not drain the battery

·
Registered
31 Posts
8. It is enough to have the key in the car and you can turn on the car. But if I leave the car in the garage and the key in the car ovenight or longer, does it drain the battery or affect the car somehow?

I wouldn't leave the Key fob in the car. Would you leave the key in the ignition overnight in your current car?

Just put the Key fob on your key-chain. It takes some getting used to, just placing your hand around the door handle and the car unlocks and then push the clutch and press the Start button, but you get used to it.
The car senses the key fob and when you get close to the car, it knows it. It even honks the horn if the try to leave the car with the ignition on!!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Lots of good answers already. To tie all the gauges together a little more, the coolant temp (next to fuel) means little unless you're overheating. Stay out of boost (second gauge) until your oil temp is warm (first gauge) which you can also tell by the oil pressure reaching normal levels (third gauge). Your oil will be thick when cold and thus higher pressure, but as it warms it flows more freely and the pressure goes down as a result and it's game on!

6. If SYNC in your car is updated to version 2.2 and you have Android Auto, yes. If you set navigation and then plug in, Maps will take over on the car. Without Android Auto and just using SYNC, no, you'd just be still using the SYNC navigation which is separate from your phone. I'm not sure if new cars are coming with the update pre-loaded yet, but if you ask your dealer they may have it on USB and be able to manually update it. Otherwise there are plenty of threads on how to do this yourself.
7. I'm fairly unfamiliar with the SYNC voice commands since I typically use Android Auto, but the AA voice commands are pretty good. I'm really hoping that they will enable Google Assistant soon for AA which could really open up the voice commands a lot, but the basics as far as music, dialing, and messaging work pretty well. Sometimes I struggle with getting it to play my Google Play Music playlists, but I think it's because I name a lot of them by genre and it confuses it whether I'm asking for my playlist or just to play the genre of music.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your answers

Here a re a few more questions :)

Is Android auto app for the phone or is it something I need to install in the car? I think the car will have Sync 3

I searched a little bit about android auto and as far as I can tell, it takes over the car display. Is it possible to switch between AA and Sync, e.g. to have navigation from AA but listen to music from Sync (via plugged in USB or radio), and use voice commands for switching music

What about auto start-stop, is it worth to use it? I guess it saves fuel a little, but then again, uses battery and engine starter (I don't know the english word) more.

And one more thing, if I have auto start stop, park the car, put it in neutral and release the clucth and the car automatically turns off. Can I then just lock the car and leave, or is it better to press the clutch to turn it on again and then switch it off properly with button?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts