Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just Installed my son of the beast intercooler from depo install went great was able to do it with just myself with help holding the intercooler from my jack. I have the 2017 so was a little nervous having the intercooler being supported 100% by the bottom plastic tabs but everything seems to be holding solid. It's raining here so didn't get to fully test but loaded the cobb ots stage 2 tune and can't wait to see those super low charge Temps. Great product for a a great price. Would highly recommend to anyone looking for a great intercooler

Attachments

·
Registered
956 Posts
35lbs of front ballast!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Running into the same hard reality check that the newer STs have the plastic tabs, wtf?
That aside, any issues so far after all this time?
Just installed mine and it concerns me everyday, mostly question why in the hell did ford decide to switch to the plastic supports.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
the weight on those plastic tabs is a little concerning but it seems to be solid and I haven't heard any issues with it coming off coming from anyone

I've had mine installed for a few months now. And the plastic tab holding the intercooler on my driver side is broke.

·
Super Moderator
8,654 Posts
Running into the same hard reality check that the newer STs have the plastic tabs, wtf?
That aside, any issues so far after all this time?
Just installed mine and it concerns me everyday, mostly question why in the hell did ford decide to switch to the plastic supports.
I've had mine installed for a few months now. And the plastic tab holding the intercooler on my driver side is broke.
Weird, my tabs are fine. Rocking the 5.5" beast for like 70k plus hard miles. 2014 ST btw.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Well if you've got the metal tabs, i hardly see them going anywhere but the same cant be said for the plastic ones, hopefully I'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Just purchased my 3.5 Depo IC, and look forward to installing it in a few weeks. Arrived very well packaged, and in a box I can hide in the garage, so my wife doesn't ask what I have bought now. :)

Does anyone know the weight of the stock IC?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Just purchased my 3.5 Depo IC, and look forward to installing it in a few weeks. Arrived very well packaged, and in a box I can hide in the garage, so my wife doesn't ask what I have bought now. :)

Does anyone know the weight of the stock IC?
Last i read it was between 30-35lbs. Its very heavy but then again i think all aftermarket ICs of similar dimensions weigh about the same. Just came back from lunch, its a crazy hot humid day in So florida and the car pulls consistently well after a few gear pulls.

Little pointer for the install, the lower mount bolts were a pain!!! for me. How i was able to get them tight, i wedged a small flathead between the nut and the intercooler to prevent it from turning then used a screw driver with the socket tip to tighten the small 8 or 10mm bolt from the bottom.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
...Does anyone know the weight of the stock IC?
Mine is sitting in a box in the basement. I'll make a note to weigh it tonight and let you know.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
?‍♂ Not cool, i feel the car nose heavy now. What i like about the look now is that's very covert, stealthy even minus all the shrouds and AGS in the lower portion.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Last i read it was between 30-35lbs. Its very heavy but then again i think all aftermarket ICs of similar dimensions weigh about the same. Just came back from lunch, its a crazy hot humid day in So florida and the car pulls consistently well after a few gear pulls.

Little pointer for the install, the lower mount bolts were a pain!!! for me. How i was able to get them tight, i wedged a small flathead between the nut and the intercooler to prevent it from turning then used a screw driver with the socket tip to tighten the small 8 or 10mm bolt from the bottom.
Thanks for the info. I look forward to the better performance with the better IC.

Didn't see in the instructions, but is there any mods needed to front trim once installed? Does the front lower need any trimming from stock. You can tell I haven't opened the instruction bag yet.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Thanks for the info. I look forward to the better performance with the better IC.

Didn't see in the instructions, but is there any mods needed to front trim once installed? Does the front lower need any trimming from stock. You can tell I haven't opened the instruction bag yet.
I installed the 5.5” Beast a few months ago. It required no tweaks, trimming, or other adjustments to fit. There is no rubbing or anything concerning at all.

If the big one fits, I'm certain the smaller one will as well.

Reactions: CoreyDSFA

·
Registered
177 Posts

No need to trim anything, i did however do away with the lower shroud and the AGS. I kept the plastic crash bar and top shroud. It felt weird blocking off so much of the IC with the little shroud and to me it defeats the purpose of the increase surface area.

I didn't bother with the instructions and basically use the three pictures in it to check out the orientation of the bolts and nuts.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts