Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
No fenders or suspension to get in the way.

Sent from another garage.
Just referring to those who were saying 45 were "bulbous". If there's fitment problems with the size obviously it won't work..
That's why I eventually want to do 17" wheels... but no $$.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I mean, tall sidewalls still work for Ferrari F1
No fenders or suspension to get in the way.

Sent from another garage.
Plus I mean you can't compare a 200+ mph car that takes corners at a faster speed than our cars can even go straight lol...they need sidewalls to have some give or they would be planted into a wall.

45 sidewall is still definitely bulbous for our type of car, hence why no cars like ours have them lol

·
Registered
349 Posts
Plus I mean you can't compare a 200+ mph car that takes corners at a faster speed than our cars can even go straight lol...they need sidewalls to have some give or they would be planted into a wall.

45 sidewall is still definitely bulbous for our type of car, hence why no cars like ours have them lol
EH, the whole "beauty in the eye of the beholder" thing.. Anything less than 50 profile looks really stupid to me..
Yes, I know super low profile tires are common/popular now, doesn't mean I have to like it.

Funny as I was recently tire shopping for my '55 Jag and reading up on when the 205/70/15 tire size was introduced in the late 60's and there was a reference to the Jag XJ-6 being the first car to offer such a low-profile performance tire... The standard then was equivalent to 80-85.

Incidentally the F1 tires as pictured are actually still "low profile" they're just incredibly wide, and thus have a taller sidewall. More sidewall is beneficial for myriad performance reasons, but car companies have gone with styling, so it is what it is..

·
Registered
2 Posts
After doing some research, I decided to go with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ 245/40/18 on my stock wheels, and think they look great. I personally like the fitted look over stretched look. Also the 245 provides more a little more contact surface to a comparable 235, and looks wider from behind. I'm posting this so others don't have to spend as much time as I did trying to decided.

Goodyear tires run wide, so even though the Michelin's are 245, their tread width is 0.1" less. Overall diameter is 1.24% or 0.3" larger, which is negligible and well below the recommended 3% max variance.

Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 - Size: 235/40R18

Tire Weight: 25 lbs.
Rim Width Range:8-9.5"
Section Width:9.5"
Tread Width:8.4"
Overall Diameter:25.4"

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+Asymmetric

Pilot Sport A/S 3+ - Size: 245/40ZR18

Tire Weight: 26 lbs.
Rim Width Range:8-9.5"
Section Width:9.8"
Tread Width:8.3"
Overall Diameter:25.7"

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+A%2FS+3

Tire size comparison:
235-40R18 vs 245-40R18 - Tire and Wheel Plus Sizing | Tire Size Calculator

Land vehicle Alloy wheel Vehicle Car Wheel Tire Automotive tire Alloy wheel Wheel Rim Alloy wheel Wheel Vehicle Car Auto part Alloy wheel Tire Wheel Automotive tire Rim Vehicle Car Automotive design Alloy wheel Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car Yellow Alloy wheel

21 - 25 of 25 Posts