Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
Is a 245 45r18 fine on the stock wheel? I got a sweet deal on a set of them and their new.
It'll fit on the wheel, it will be both wider and taller than OE though.

EDIT: .4" wider and 1.28" (keeping in mind those measurements are overall width and height)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is a 245 45r18 fine on the stock wheel? I got a sweet deal on a set of them and their new.
It'll fit on the wheel, it will be both wider and taller than OE though.

EDIT: .4" wider and 1.28" (keeping in mind those measurements are overall width and height)

Do you think that it'll have a huge impact on cornering or only a little. I'm stock height too with sway bars

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you like gigantic balloon looking sidewalls get them.

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
Do you think that it'll have a huge impact on cornering or only a little. I'm stock height too with sway bars
It might a little since they are going to be so tall compared to OE, it'll look funny for sure. Personally I wouldn't do it. It honestly might rub while turning if you stuffed the tire and compressed the suspension.

·
Registered
738 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Depending on the actual tire you could come extremely close to rubbing your spring seat under cornering, or scratching your spring seat if you get a rock stuck in the tread. Handling will degrade due to more sidewall. I would not recommend this tire size.
Capture.PNG

Reactions: Ginger_snaps4

·
Registered
269 Posts
Unless you drive to the limit of the car's potential, you may not notice a significant the effect on handling. As far as clearance goes, you can measure the distance between the current tire setup and the strut and anything else under the fender that might get in the way to determine if the extra 5/8 (radius) of an inch tall or 1/4 of an inch wider will touch anything. (I could put it in metric, but I find rough SAE conversions easier to eyeball).

What you will notice: It will take more effort to get rolling in first gear, so you will lose fractional seconds on your 0-60. Tougher to spin a larger tire too. You will need more positive throttle on the freeway to maintain your speed. You speedometer will be off, showing you as going slower than you really are. Braking will require more effort/pressure, with longer stopping distances. Brakes may potentially FAIL. For example, my sister ran just one size larger on her truck for years, like what you are suggesting, and it would eat rotors and master cylinders every two years (That was 10000 miles for her!). She went back to stock size and no more brake problems since.

My opinion, backed by experience: Most of the issues are not a big deal. But premature brake failure is VERY serious. Just for the sake of safety, don't do it. They might go gradually or suddenly and it's not worth the money you might save on the tires in either scenario. Most websites advise 3% is the maximum deviation, and your set up is 5% larger.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
its the bfg comp as2
If you got 40 instead of 45 it would be fine. 45 is kinda tall so it'll look kinda bad, possibly rub, etc. I would not be going with this tire if it were me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My drag radials are 245/40/18 and on stock suspension had no issues. After installing coil overs I had a slight rubbing on the locking nuts for the springs. A 10mm spacer and everything is working great.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I had 245/40/18 Comp 2s on my stock wheels, those rubbed under hard cornering. Definitely would not suggest 245/45/18s with out some kind of spacer.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Funny people thinking 45 profile is bulbous.. I was going to try 245/45/18 but got a basically new set of 245/40/18 for $275 couldn't pass it up.

I definitely prefer styling and handling of larger sidewall, plus this car needs so much more gearing.. I'm used to cars that run <2krpm at 70.. I think my 300 was about 1500 at 70.

In my Fiesta I wouldn't set cruise control past 65 cause 2500rpm seems like it's screaming on the highway...

Someday hope to get some 17's so I can get a proper 50 series sidewall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Funny people thinking 45 profile is bulbous.. I was going to try 245/45/18 but got a basically new set of 245/40/18 for $275 couldn't pass it up.

I definitely prefer styling and handling of larger sidewall, plus this car needs so much more gearing.. I'm used to cars that run <2krpm at 70.. I think my 300 was about 1500 at 70.

In my Fiesta I wouldn't set cruise control past 65 cause 2500rpm seems like it's screaming on the highway...

Someday hope to get some 17's so I can get a proper 50 series sidewall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I honestly wouldnt mind the 45 sidewall for looks. But looks isnt really my main concern. I can get a whole set for 300 and thats a good deal for these bfgs. I only know one other guy that has them, and he told me it rubs when hitting bumps very very hard.

·
Registered
379 Posts
It would rub on the fender lip under full lock while hitting a bump.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I mean, tall sidewalls still work for Ferrari F1

1 - 20 of 25 Posts