Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to order new wheels for my recently acquired 2017 Magnetic Metallic ST2, and am considering several different wheels (but most likely the OZ Leggera HLT), all of which are 18x8 with either a 40mm or a 45 mm offset. I do not plan on lowering the car.

Not familiar with the ST nearly as much as most here, and was wondering what is everyone's opinion of sticking with the OEM size of 235/40-18 or going to a 245/40-18 instead.

The tires I plan on buying are the Continental DWS06.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

·
Administrator
12,234 Posts
I am getting ready to order new wheels for my recently acquired 2017 Magnetic Metallic ST2, and am considering several different wheels (but most likely the OZ Leggera HLT), all of which are 18x8 with either a 40mm or a 45 mm offset. I do not plan on lowering the car.

Not familiar with the ST nearly as much as most here, and was wondering what is everyone's opinion of sticking with the OEM size of 235/40-18 or going to a 245/40-18 instead.

The tires I plan on buying are the Continental DWS06.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.
245 for sure. We need all the rubber we can get for our lil torque monsters.

·
Registered
477 Posts
In my opinion, those wheels in bright race grey are the best looking wheels on a magnetic metallic ST. Post pics if you get them!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In my opinion, those wheels in bright race grey are the best looking wheels on a magnetic metallic ST. Post pics if you get them!
The bright race gray is the color I'd be buying. Saw a few pictures here on the Forum on a Magnetic Metallic Focus ST (member MoBoost) and that's what sold me on the wheels.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So...can anyone tell me the pros and cons of going to a 245/40-18 tire?

·
Registered
825 Posts
245/40/18
Not stock size. (any suspension problems? Warranty might be VOIDED on suspension parts, even transmission problems!)
((Some service dept at a dealer may refuse to put back on car.. yes really))
Speedometer off.
Wider might rub during full turn? (depends on wheel used offset)
Gain? maybe better grip. ??Wider maybe maybe NOT. If you go to Tire Rack and read up on the actual tire specs.
Some tires depend on the mold.. some 245 are no wider TREAD WIDTH than other 235.
And some 235 ARE wider TREAD WIDTH than other 245.
The 245 is the width of the body, not the tread... much of the time, on average, a 245 tread will be wider than 235 tread.
But if you look at the specs. many tires are not the same. And it would be easy to locate a 235 tread width that is wider than a 245.

·
Registered
802 Posts
The DWS in 245 compared to Goodyear Eagle F1 in 235 have 0.3" greater section width, 0.8" less tread width, and 0.3" greater OD. They will fit fine, but they might not necessarily give you more mechanical grip.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After considering the top three rated ultra high performance tires available at Tire Rack (Continental DWS06, BF Goodrich Comp 2 AS and the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+), I believe I'm going to spend the extra $$$ and get the Michelin's this time.

Still undecided on whether to get the 235/40 or the 245/40.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
245/40/18
Not stock size. (any suspension problems? Warranty might be VOIDED on suspension parts, even transmission problems!)
((Some service dept at a dealer may refuse to put back on car.. yes really))
Speedometer off.
Wider might rub during full turn? (depends on wheel used offset)
Gain? maybe better grip. ??Wider maybe maybe NOT. If you go to Tire Rack and read up on the actual tire specs.
Some tires depend on the mold.. some 245 are no wider TREAD WIDTH than other 235.
And some 235 ARE wider TREAD WIDTH than other 245.
The 245 is the width of the body, not the tread... much of the time, on average, a 245 tread will be wider than 235 tread.
But if you look at the specs. many tires are not the same. And it would be easy to locate a 235 tread width that is wider than a 245.
I bought my 245 tires from my Ford dealer and they installed them onto stock wheels, installed and aligned on the car. No fuss whatsoever. Maybe you need to find a new dealer???

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
You know, strangely from Ford my 245 PSS were $5 cheaper per tire than 235 PSS.
Same, 245 was cheaper and I fully recommend 245. That warranty junk up above is total bull___. They don't care if you go one size up any more than they would care if you put on terrible quality cheap $50 tires. Your car is much better off with a better 245 tire (like the super sports or continentals) than a crappy tire or even the stock tire and handles better. It's not like it adds more stress suddenly having a slightly wider tire by 1cm :lol: Some people

·
Registered
34 Posts
You know, strangely from Ford my 245 PSS were $5 cheaper per tire than 235 PSS.
Same, 245 was cheaper and I fully recommend 245. That warranty junk up above is total bull___. They don't care if you go one size up any more than they would care if you put on terrible quality cheap $50 tires. Your car is much better off with a better 245 tire (like the super sports or continentals) than a crappy tire or even the stock tire and handles better. It's not like it adds more stress suddenly having a slightly wider tire by 1cm
Some people
Preach it!
..... Seriously, go with 245/40.. I run them on Continental Extreme Sports and couldn't be happier. Check your load rating on whatever one you choose, some MFG cheapen the tire making it a lighter load rating like 92-93 . 245/40 should be load rated 95-97 with 97 being the best. They handle so much better and there is ZERO warranty issue. Speedo is still close enough on the money, and you have a much better selection of tires available to you. They look so much better on the vehicle too. Truth be told, it's probably what Ford should have put on to begin with. Continentals for me all the way! Get some.....

Reactions: brian60

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for everyone's help.

Ordered the wheels and tires earlier today.

18x8 OZ Leggera HLT wheels in Bright Race Grey with a set of 245/40-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires.

Will post pics once mounted.

Reactions: Peregriner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts