Ford Focus ST Forum banner
481 - 500 of 528 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
8,901 Posts
0-60 in 4.9 sec (plus 0.3sec of rollout) , 5-60 in 6.4 sec.

Seems like its got a touch of the turbo lags lol
Like they said though, you can't hit 60 in 2nd gear so those numbers are flawed based on the 2-3 gear shift. Or if other reviews are counting rev limiter 2nd gear as "60 mph"

·
Registered
534 Posts

Well in more positive news, it ran a low 13 second pass even with beat 2nd and 3rd synchros. So it's better than I had originally expected based on throttle houses drag racing.
These guys seem very impressed. I'm waiting for what one of the folks said in the discussion - wait for a couple of years for the forum guys and other people to provide data on reliability and everyday livability. That being said, I continue to be intrigued. I also want to wait and see comparison tests between the GRC and the CTR. For the record, I'll be rooting for the GRC.

·
Super Moderator
8,901 Posts
These guys seem very impressed. I'm waiting for what one of the folks said in the discussion - wait for a couple of years for the forum guys and other people to provide data on reliability and everyday livability. That being said, I continue to be intrigued. I also want to wait and see comparison tests between the GRC and the CTR. For the record, I'll be rooting for the GRC.
There's no comparison between the 2 cars for my uses. The only reason I'm even considering this car is the power to AWD ratio and having a manual. I love my ST but the front wheel drive sucks for my climate. Fwd is fine for a 150hp shìtbox but now that I've got the car making the power I'm happy with, it's terrible in even the lightest rainfall. Let alone snow. No sense in even having this power when it rains or snows

·
Registered
534 Posts
There's no comparison between the 2 cars for my uses. The only reason I'm even considering this car is the power to AWD ratio and having a manual. I love my ST but the front wheel drive sucks for my climate. Fwd is fine for a 150hp shìtbox but now that I've got the car making the power I'm happy with, it's terrible in even the lightest rainfall. Let alone snow. No sense in even having this power when it rains or snows
Yes, I recall you mentioning that aspect a few times. Looks like the GRC would be a good choice for you. Are you able to wait for a couple of years, or are the FWD shenanigans driving you crazy to the extent that you need to change cars yesterday?

·
Super Moderator
8,901 Posts
Yes, I recall you mentioning that aspect a few times. Looks like the GRC would be a good choice for you. Are you able to wait for a couple of years, or are the FWD shenanigans driving you crazy to the extent that you need to change cars yesterday?
I'm able to and I should wait. Realistically I would need to sell my 2011 mustang GT and my focus ST to pay a chunk of the car as well as consolidate vehicles. In a perfect world I could sell the stang in the spring but the focus I would need to hang on to until after taking delivery of a replacement. I can't drive a 12-14mpg pickup truck 70 miles a day to work. I'd go bankrupt.

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Shadow Black, E30, MonsterFMIC, GFB DVX+ BPV, ALEX' ShiftBushings, PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
3,398 Posts

Well in more positive news, it ran a low 13 second pass even with beat 2nd and 3rd synchros. So it's better than I had originally expected based on throttle houses drag racing.
So the synchros are crappy?
Or abused?
Already?!!! And people still want it...

Be careful of just chasing the 0-60 numbers or whatever. Overall, other things are more important if you're not just racing. .. :unsure:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Or abused?

Be careful of just chasing the 0-60 numbers or whatever. Overall, other things are more important if you're not just racing. .. :unsure:
Yes, I was wondering about them synchros as well. Only time will tell, I suppose. That's why I want to wait for a couple of years to see how the platform fares in the real world as opposed to in the hands of autojournalists.

·
Registered
2016 Magnetic Metallic ST3
440 Posts
Like they said though, you can't hit 60 in 2nd gear so those numbers are flawed based on the 2-3 gear shift. Or if other reviews are counting rev limiter 2nd gear as "60 mph"
Yeah there is a lot of playing with the numbers and a zero to sixty is not the most useful benchmark.
But it does sound like, if you line up against one, you have a shot of winning depending on who has the launch.

I'll look forward to that, because lining up against AWD automatic cars is largely pointless lol.
Especially now that there is snow on the ground here :(

·
Super Moderator
8,901 Posts
Or abused?

The best synchro in the world won't hold up to a ****ty driver. These guys are journalists, that doesn't make them good drivers. I'm sure some of them are but I'm sure a vast majority of them hamfist the gear shifter, mis shift, grind gears, etc.

I care more about the quarter mile time as a judgement of overall acceleration. I need that in a daily to navigate the ****tards on the roads during my commute.

·
Registered
534 Posts
That's just ridiculous. Going to continue waiting to see how things pan out. The new CTR already is showing that the gear grind issue is still unresolved. I'm waiting to see how sales chart out after the initial feeding frenzy.

·
Super Moderator
8,901 Posts
Yeah I'm going to keep tabs there on the forums but if it's a year from now and dealers are still charging markups because of this bullshit, I'm out. This car has caused me more aggravation than I thought possible for something that hasn't even hit a single dealership yet.

·
Administrator
2019 Mustang Bullitt
15,124 Posts
More bad news. Its being rumored that they're now going to be making less than 5000 units per year now. What a ****ing joke this whole thing is. Just dangle the carrot some more, Toyota.

Yeah, happy Im not in the market for one. Toyota is handling this terribly.

My experiences with Jeep on the other hand have been absolutely amazing. Way better than Ford so far, lmfao

·
Super Moderator
8,901 Posts
I'm planning on waiting 3, maybe 4 years. By that time, we will have sufficient data on the GRC, CTR, and new 'Stang.
I'm just tired of not having an AWD daily. I want to buy a new car for the first time in my life. But my options are, a unicorn or **** that's crazy expensive.

The new Golf R will be available manual in their 20th anniversary package. But only 1,800 units will be made. And it's like 46 grand

The brand new Audi S3 is incredible. Mid 11s on a pump gas tune with the factory downpipe (only mods being intercooler and air intake). But it's 55 grand.

The GR is a non existent unicorn.

And that's about the extent of my list of new models I'd consider. Used brings me other options but I don't want to buy someone else's basket case (like a focus RS). Plus I'd really rather not own a car with magna shocks either.

🏳

·
Registered
534 Posts
I feel your pain. It really sucks that the choices are so limited, and that the available choices are so expensive. Expensive because some are genuinely expensive while the others have markups on them. And, the WRX sucks with the styling and the engine. Sad times.

Maybe you could look for something CPO? Some of them have a 100k mile warranty.

·
Administrator
2019 Mustang Bullitt
15,124 Posts
I'm just tired of not having an AWD daily. I want to buy a new car for the first time in my life. But my options are, a unicorn or **** that's crazy expensive.

The new Golf R will be available manual in their 20th anniversary package. But only 1,800 units will be made. And it's like 46 grand

The brand new Audi S3 is incredible. Mid 11s on a pump gas tune with the factory downpipe (only mods being intercooler and air intake). But it's 55 grand.

The GR is a non existent unicorn.

And that's about the extent of my list of new models I'd consider. Used brings me other options but I don't want to buy someone else's basket case (like a focus RS). Plus I'd really rather not own a car with magna shocks either.

🏳

Magna shocks are amazing though...

·
Super Moderator
8,901 Posts
Maybe you could look for something CPO? Some of them have a 100k mile warranty.
A warranty is just a paper to give you warm and fuzzies. No guarantee that your beloved 15k mile (insert model here) wasn't a car owned by a dyno shop that made 700 horsepower then was returned to stock. Or some bonehead owned it, raced the engine while cold, drove short trips and waited till 10k to change the oil. Etc etc. These are issues that are exasperated by the particular models that I want to buy.
All the while the clock is ticking on ICE cars. My time is running out.
Idk. I'm just pissed about it all. What a good and bad time to be a car enthusiast.

·
Administrator
2019 Mustang Bullitt
15,124 Posts
A warranty is just a paper to give you warm and fuzzies. No guarantee that your beloved 15k mile (insert model here) wasn't a car owned by a dyno shop that made 700 horsepower then was returned to stock. Or some bonehead owned it, raced the engine while cold, drove short trips and waited till 10k to change the oil. Etc etc. These are issues that are exasperated by the particular models that I want to buy.
All the while the clock is ticking on ICE cars. My time is running out.
Idk. I'm just pissed about it all. What a good and bad time to be a car enthusiast.

How about AWD crossovers? Can be big bucks though...

481 - 500 of 528 Posts