Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  • D Street, FoRS - There are only a few national-level FoRS drivers remaining. From what I've seen, drivers switching to DS are picking either a Civic Type R or a Veloster N (Alex Piehl has one of each now, LOL). With the switch in ProSolo to splitting awd (S4) from 2wd (S5), the FoRS is not quite the natural choice it once was due to competing against Teslas & Audis. Still, Civic Type R is not exactly a solid choice for Pro Solo, either, as HS cars have been dominating S5.
  • G Street, FoST - At this point, anyone entering GS with a FoST is likely a second owner. Original owners have moved on, except for maybe Brian Anthony, and top drivers are picking the Civic Si if they come to GS. All the Golf GTI owners with potential have moved on, too.
  • H Street, FiST - My gut feeling is that the FiST's dominant days are over and the Civic Sport is the car to have now. However, being an economical class, top drivers may be slow to move on.
  • Street Touring Ultra, FoRS - Good drivers not searching for a national title seem to keep trying STU with the FoRS. They can be in the hunt at Tours and Pro Solos, but few turn out on top.
  • Street Touring Hatchback, FoST, FiST - I feel this is the best option for an upgraded FoST, especially since the leading drivers have mostly left the class and the title will be pretty much open this year. Few people seriously build for the class, however because they think STH is the land of awd, without noticing that class limitations prevent awd from having the best traction. The FiST is just the wrong car here and owners know it, usually only driving here briefly before moving to SMF.
  • A Street Prepared, FoRS - I'm unaware of anyone building a FoRS for ASP at the national level. My guess is that since a WRX/STI is competitive, a FoRS would be, too.
  • D Street Prepared, FoST, FiST - Bad choice for either in light of PAX indicating SMF, with fewer limitations, is slower than DSP. Cut & flared fenders are a requirement if you're serious.
  • Street Modified, FoRS - Cut & flared fenders are a requirement if you're serious. Unlikely to see a FoRS being competitive at the national level, although I don't think anyone has seriously tried. 2021 will be a transition year as the proposed rule change for unlimited engine swaps will need time for car builders to adapt/develop.
  • Street Modified Fwd, FoST, FiST - Cut & flared fenders are a requirement if you're serious. Unlikely to see a FoST or FiST being competitive at the national level due to their weight, however I wouldn't totally rule it out if someone is serious. 2021 will be a transition year as the proposed rule change for unlimited engine swaps will need time for car builders to adapt/develop.
  • Xtreme Street A, FoRS, FoST, FiST - Not a national class and very similar to Street Modified except on 200 treadwear tires, this is an autox entry point designed for people who modified their cars before they knew about rules. However, if you truly want to dominate XS-A, then know that the SM national champion car can (and has) bolted on 200 treadwear tires to his car and proved unbeatable. On the other hand, the PAX is very, very soft for XS-A, so if you want a leg up in PAX standings instead of running with the SM/SMF PAX because of your mods, this is a good option.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
STH

There is a proposal to move the 2016+ Audi TT out of STH and into STU which originated from the Street Touring Advisory Committee. I wrote a letter against the move because the only potential advantage I see that the Audi TT has in STH is 3-4% lower weight (only if the right options were chosen) than the WRX or 2012-14 Golf R, yet I've heard that an STH legal WRX makes about 10% more power (340 hp) than a tuned Audi TT (310 hp). Additionally, so few cars have been built for STH that we shouldn't be removing cars when the Audi TT has not yet proven to be an overdog.

Those of you observing from a distance may be wondering why I consider the FoST a fair match against the awd power wagons in STH. First, the awd cars aren't allowed to change differentials, so they have a sub-optimal powertrain that can be prone to wheelspin, whereas the fwd cars are allowed to swap to a good differential. Second, they're stuck with 245-width tires and we can use 265-width tires.

(now waiting to hear from @freakin_elrod, LOL)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
STH

There is a proposal to move the 2016+ Audi TT out of STH and into STU which originated from the Street Touring Advisory Committee. I wrote a letter against the move because the only potential advantage I see that the Audi TT has in STH is 3-4% lower weight (only if the right options were chosen) than the WRX or 2012-14 Golf R, yet I've heard that an STH legal WRX makes about 10% more power (340 hp) than a tuned Audi TT (310 hp). Additionally, so few cars have been built for STH that we shouldn't be removing cars when the Audi TT has not yet proven to be an overdog.

Those of you observing from a distance may be wondering why I consider the FoST a fair match against the awd power wagons in STH. First, the awd cars aren't allowed to change differentials, so they have a sub-optimal powertrain that can be prone to wheelspin, whereas the fwd cars are allowed to swap to a good differential. Second, they're stuck with 245-width tires and we can use 265-width tires.

(now waiting to hear from @freakin_elrod, LOL)
@gemery I agree, STAC/SEB shouldn't be reclassing the TT. STH still doesn't have an overdog car. The TT piloted by Thomas and Pete, Piehl's WRX, Rollers old WRX, the newer WRX driven by Piehl, Tipple's SI, my FoST (on a smaller scale) and a damn Eagle Talon TSI have had some success at national events, yet they have nothing in common.

I chose this platform because, despite not being able to run the precious Depo intercooler, the FoST's operating cost and repair overall, is much less than all those other STH cars (well maybe except for the Talon), and even without the diff, is still competitive. @gemery has an STH build that is potentially going to surpass mine and will also be thrown in the mix so its definitely going to be interesting seeing as some of the other top players in the classing leaving and newer blood coming in.

Reactions: gemery

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
West coast big events are scheduled, providing COVID-19 cooperates:
  • Apr 9-11 Las Vegas Champ Tour
  • Apr 16-18 Crows Landing ProSolo
  • Apr 23-25 Fontana ProSolo
  • Apr 10-May 1 Crows Landing Champ Tour
  • Jul 9-11 Packwood Champ Tour
  • Jul 16-18 Packwood ProSolo

Nobody's really happy that the first four are all crammed into a month without a break and I'm not sure the logistics will work for me. Don't know if my potential Las Vegas hostess is willing to take visitors before she gets vaccinated. Attending Packwood is easy, though.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
definitely going to be interesting seeing as some of the other top players in the classing leaving and newer blood coming in.
Roller, Kring, & Tipple seem to be the remaining targets now that Flanagan & Vehige are officially out. No idea if Krauss will make it into the states from Canada, but I suspect not. Geez, unexpectedly, the STH crowd switches cars as much as the GS crowd.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
P.S. And then Roller shows us a picture of an STX BRZ... even he might be gone!
Roller has been talking about leaving in favor for one of the twins. He was definitely that holy crap he's fast....where the hell did this guy come from kind of driver in a car that wasnt pegged to trophy.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really, really, need for COVID to fade away fast (and/or get the vaccine) so I can travel to the big events outside Oregon & Washington with Pepper. I think I'll make the Crows Landing Tour, even if I have to pitch a tent on-site. I spent last night trying to figure a route to the Las Vegas Tour that would both seem COVID-safe and avoid potential icy zones, but it doesn't look possible.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
This will be year 2 of my national event hiatus. Even with being an "essential" employee that falls in the category of next in line to get my vaccine, I still can't because either A) all the appointments are booked, B) there are no vaccines, or C) a combo of A and B. While the media makes it seem like there's plenty to go around, the reality in my region is not quite true.

I'll be sticking to yet another year of just the local stuff and hopefully be back roaming the national tour/pro solo's again soon.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Strange results out of Florida today, especially if you peruse the PAX results. Mike King tromped on S4 in a BS Focus RS. Thomas Kring held his own with the STH Audi for the final trophy, being beat by Mark Allen in a DS Focus RS and Mike Brau in an SS Tesla. David Lineberry in his DS Focus RS was surprisingly well back in 5th place, some 4 seconds off the leader's pace.

GS ended up in the Bump Class and took the top 2 spots, both Civic SI. Results incorrectly assigned the win to a GS GTI, but he did not take afternoon runs & is scored wrong.

Edit: Top 7 index times are bogus as they didn't take afternoon runs, so are incorrectly scored. That means Mike King took top index time and S4 has 4 out of the top 5 index times.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dixie Tour had 5 STH competitors. Kring (in an Audi TT, formerly Thomas Thompson's) & Sienkiewicz in a freshly built & untested VW GTI were the top two. Kring was widely anticipated to be the winner because Sienkiewicz is an unknown on the national scene and Kring led by 0.5 seconds after Saturday. Sienkiewicz acknowledged on the VW STH thread he did not have enough rear spring rate, so compensated with every trick he could think of and was also running an extremely non-square tire setup (255s in front, 225s in back!). With Sunday's course not favoring power, Sienkiewicz was able to pick up some time and pull out a 0.026 second win! Third place was raw-timed by GS and the remaining two entries were raw-timed by HS. Significantly, Kring & Sienkiewicz also pulled ahead of GS in PAX while running in the same heat as GS. No sign of a winner in the STH tire battle yet.

Over in a 12-deep GS, the Honda Civic Si continues to reign supreme, taking the top 6 spots over 5 VW GTI and the lone Focus ST campaigned by Thomas Simon. Simon finished next to last. One name to keep an eye on is Terry McIntyre, as he continues to improve his pace and claimed third place. 5th place and lower were raw-timed by HS. Falken is the tire of choice for GS.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Charlotte ProSolo had 5 STH competitors. Todd Kunze (aka JackRabbitSLIM) in a freshly built VW GTI, Jason Tipple & codriver Megan DePietro in his Honda Civic Si, and Jacob Peltz in a Fiat 500 Abarth were in the S5 class and Aaron Buckley in a freshly built Audi TT was in the S4 class.

Kunze & Buckley put in very competent showings, especially for fresh builds, with Kunze taking 4th in S5 & Buckley 3rd in S4 (trophy positions). Tipple is struggling and was raw-timed by GS.

GS was only 5 deep. A pair of Honda Civic Sis, a pair of VW GTIs, and Thomas Simon in the lone Focus ST. Terry McIntyre took the win and Simon again finished next to last.

Screenshot of Buckley's dyno chart. Presumably the VW GTIs would have similar power at the wheels.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Fontana Tour: The 3 GS drivers moved to STH to form a class of 6 in STH.

My prediction is Yanase in his GS Civic Si will win. Cruz & Green will probably be fighting closely for second.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
2021 Nationals
G Street has 35 entries and GSL has 1 entry. There are only two Focus ST drivers: Brain Anthony and Thomas Simon, neither of which have placed well. There is a lot of talent entered, so I'm not even going to pretend I can pick who will be champion.

Street Touring Hatchback is up to 20 entries now that my occasional codriver believes his employer will allow him the time off and he got registered. Aaron Buckley in an Audi TT will be the likely champion as he's shown the best times relative to the fastest cars at Chicago & Bristol Pro. STHL has 2 entries.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Wow! Excellent input on the Nationals! I still get SCCA emails, but I haven't been a member for 2ish years. An Audi TT driver screwed several of us at RX Nationals many years ago by complaining that he didn't hear the course change announcement on the radio, loud speakers, or dude running car-to-car in grid to bring everyone's attention to it. For at least 6 of us, that run was our fastest and still got removed from the times due to Mr. I didn't know... ROFL.

·
Registered
77 Posts
2021 Nationals
G Street has 35 entries and GSL has 1 entry. There are only two Focus ST drivers: Brain Anthony and Thomas Simon, neither of which have placed well. There is a lot of talent entered, so I'm not even going to pretend I can pick who will be champion.
Also only three GTIs. I get it, I guess.. The Civic has 8" wide wheels but is lighter (high 27xx in GS trim) and has a real LSD. I need to dig through the old GS thread to see what a normal GS FoST weighs, but I'm guessing getting it under 3000 is hard and that's assuming you bought the ST1. It still seems like it should be in the mix in a course dependent way though.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
2021 Nationals

Street Touring Hatchback is up to 20 entries now that my occasional codriver believes his employer will allow him the time off and he got registered. Aaron Buckley in an Audi TT will be the likely champion as he's shown the best times relative to the fastest cars at Chicago & Bristol Pro. STHL has 2 entries.
GS is down to 33 entries, no changes for the FoST drivers. STH is up to 24 entries with my codriver & I remaining as the lone FoST entries.

@buttdyno - 3050 lbs is rock bottom for a FoST in GS by using minimal fluids. These days you can be +10 lbs just by using the heaviest tires vs. the lightest tires. Pepper usually weighed in at 3100 lbs because I run with a full tank to avoid the effects of fuel slosh.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts