Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new-ford-focus-st-leaked-in-full-probably-has-290-hp-130731_1.jpg

by Mihnea Radu, 6 December 2018

We knew a fair bit about the Ford Focus ST and had a pretty good idea of how it looks. However, today, we can show you the real deal, with production paint and wheels, the hot hatch that you will soon be able to buy.

Several images of an uncamouflaged prototype have leaked out. And judging from where the steering wheel is located, these were taken in Europe, perhaps at the Cologne factory, where so much Focus revealing has taken place. The last bit of information came from Australia, a sticker where confirmed that the hot hatch would indeed be powered by a 2.3-liter turbo engine.

Like the weight of a pro boxer, the displacement of the Focus ST has fluctuated a lot over the years, from 2.5-liter five-cylinder to a 2-liter and now the Mustang engine. Speaking of which, the ST is believed to develop as much power as the entry-level pony in Europe: 290 PS and 440 Nm (324 lb-ft). That puts it right up there with the Megane RS, Hyundai i30 N, and Leon Cupra.

A 6-speed manual will be standard, but an automatic will also be available, even on this gasoline-powered model. The diesel Focus ST has been confirmed too, believed to develop around 190 HP. The performance gap between the two will be sizable.

These photos from Ford tuner Pumaspeed show that the boy kit is nearly identical to the ST-Line. However, we do see revisions to the fog light area and twin exhaust pipes around the back. The size of the trunk wing has also increased a bit, matching the performance aspiration of the car. The hatch has also been fitted with gunmetal lightweight 18-inch alloys and bigger brakes.

The interior is exactly what you'd expect from a fast Ford: not that modified. Upgrades over the standard Focus only include Recaro seats with ST logos and the steering wheel. You might also notice that the e-brake panel is missing.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2020-ford-focus-st-leaked-in-full-probably-has-290-hp-130731.html#

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
well that is just great. :popped out:

I can speak for everyone is the USA and say... "the USA never gets cool stuff"

Oh and what is with the pop up screen, no one needs to see that whole side of the road? blocks 75% of view? The Audi S3 i test drove had it as well and it was the biggest complaint about the car.

PS: i think they looks ugly but that is just a personal thing so

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Looks like an SUV, could be the picture angle but not really liking the polished turd look. ugly!! Maybe the rear/sides look better.
Like a really really small cross over SUV? click the link and see more photos... the rear looks ok but no no no it is just ugly.

my car doesn't get looks because it has a few extra HP. I drive by and no one is like oh it is stage 3. or in that case 290HP. .LOL nope . Which in the game of HP 290 is just missing the mark. should have been 300+ the RS is "350" and it is the 2.3L so assuming it must have a small turdbo like the current STs or it can be tuned way up and make just as many hurs purs as the RS? marketing just told them no you can not give it more than 300 because it would get to close to RS. Even tho RS is dead now so shouldn't matter

·
Registered
564 Posts
Not enough time spend on looks to make it stand out from the ST-light (or just lazy designers). The tablet on the dash is just a current hype in the car industry over in the EU. I would currently say that you guys and girls in the USA are not missing out on anything exciting

·
Registered
676 Posts
my car doesn't get looks because it has a few extra HP. I drive by and no one is like oh it is stage 3. or in that case 290HP. .LOL nope . Which in the game of HP 290 is just missing the mark. should have been 300+ the RS is "350" and it is the 2.3L so assuming it must have a small turdbo like the current STs or it can be tuned way up and make just as many hurs purs as the RS? marketing just told them no you can not give it more than 300 because it would get to close to RS. Even tho RS is dead now so shouldn't matter
Same horsepower/displacement as our 2.0.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
252 hp divided by 2 liters = 126 hp/liter.

290 hp divided by 2.3 liters = 126 hp/liter.
ok... but why does this matter? just shows that they could have put more HP into it, they did it on the RS so.

More HP is MORE HP, how does it matter how many liters it is coming from.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Maintaining reliability/durability. Think it through via exaggeration—why not put the 1 liter I3 in and turbo the hell out of it and make 400 hp? More power per displacement=more stress on internal components. Another way stresses can be distributed is by increasing the number of cylinders (which is a big reason why multi cylinders really came about in the 1910s and giant displacement 4 cylinders disappeared, but that's a long history lesson that's only tangentially related here). The RS is a lot more money than the ST and is in a different class with different appeal (albeit with some overlap) nor is Ford making this to be race car—it's a hot hatch, a daily driver that can handle kids or kayaks or whatever—it's meant to be an appealing practical performance car they can sell at a price point competitive with its rivals that isn't a warranty and reputation liability (neither of which was helped by the DCT of this generation). And now with a larger displacement, racers who don't care about warranties can make more power more easily, as well (setting aside potential issues from this likely being an open deck block vs. the closed deck block of the 2.0). Of course, not only is larger displacement less stressed for a given output, but it more easily makes torque on the lower end of the scale (more usable power). Power per displacement is why Honda's Civic Si is only making 205 hp—it's a 1.5L and that's more power per liter than the ST (137hp/L) and I can't remember the source now, but they've acknowledged that they're near the limits of their standards for longevity with the Si and the Type-R even at 2.0L doesn't meet their standard (153hp/L), but also isn't expected to as it appeals to a different market.

Where it doesn't matter is mileage—a given amount of horsepower as measured under full load conditions is a specific value of BTUs that's fixed within a gallon of gasoline whether that power is made by a huge V8 or a small turboed engine (reasonable differences in internal friction and efficiency from technology has an effect, but it's not massive as around 2/3 of the potential energy of gasoline is wasted as heat either way). However, in a low-load state (that may or may not reflect how customers drive in real life), the smaller engine will make less power, using less fuel. Whether that can be fully taken advantage of considering the limitations that aerodynamics and weight has on potential gearing that can be specced and on how often it can run in real world conditions at those low load states is another discussion, but suffice it to say, everything is about balance and compromise of the various demands imposed upon the vehicle and its intended use.

·
Super Moderator
6,598 Posts
Ok I am glad I am not the only one thinking this. As soon as I saw it I thought it was a recycled Mazdaspeed 3.
Looks like they took the current ST grill and flipped it over to get that silly looking grin.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Looks like they took the current ST grill and flipped it over to get that silly looking grin.
did not notice that untill you said this, now i can not unsee that. :crying:

·
Super Moderator
6,598 Posts

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Can anyone tell from the pics if they also utilized the fog light area for brake cooling ducts like the RS?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts