Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
China? And I thought our D1ckensian bosses were the only ones who gave away working-class jobs to Asians for the cheap labour. Serve 'em right if the average Chinese sweatshop labourer catches on and starts demanding Western wages!

·
Registered
311 Posts
We all have to realize and understand what's going on here. This is a direct result of the foolish CAFE standards foisted upon us many decades ago. They have warped the market so manufacturers that aren't very good at making small cars (the Big 3 in particular) were forced to do so. And now we have decided EV's are the next big thing so outfits like Ford and GM will cut their car line and focus on trucks and SUVs which make more money which they will now spend (waste) on EV's. It's self destructive.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Well my lease is up in 2019 so maybe it will be a Fusion Sport then. Or a WRX. Then again I may keep the ST and see what happens just before then kill all the US cars off.

·
Registered
651 Posts
This is definitely something I could back, but people need to take this article with a grain of salt. They can throw numbers and specs out all day, but until Ford releases anything it's just speculation.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I would love to see the ST model come in an AWD version, I know...I know buy an RS you say, but my experience with the ST is that as much hp and TQ as you can make with just a few parts and a tune to me are just to much for a fwd car to be really fun. I would also accept a RWD ST...as a matter of fact I think I would prefer RWD. Just imagine how much fun this squat little ST would be with 300+ lbs of TQ.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm in Germany, so when the new ST or whatever comes out here, i'll take pics for you guys. They will never be released in the US anymore. So doesn't matter.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Same for me, dont think I will buy one at release but maybe a little later on

·
Registered
672 Posts
We all have to realize and understand what's going on here. This is a direct result of the foolish CAFE standards foisted upon us many decades ago. They have warped the market so manufacturers that aren't very good at making small cars (the Big 3 in particular) were forced to do so. And now we have decided EV's are the next big thing so outfits like Ford and GM will cut their car line and focus on trucks and SUVs which make more money which they will now spend (waste) on EV's. It's self destructive.
yeah CAFE is poop, my 3.5L ecoboost F-150 gets 'maybe .5 MPG better than a 5.0L V8

a 1.5L Focus will require more 'pedal' to get moving - so MPG will suffer...

·
Registered
102 Posts
:sad:

·
Registered
813 Posts
I would've got rid of the C-Max and especially the Taurus, but all the others do fill a purpose even in the US. For one, the Fiesta is a perfect city car which I can see being especially popular with women, just like the Ford Puma was here. It's a little swift run around town car. Like they said in the vid, the Taurus is made obsolete by the Fusion, which is a perfect medium size executive/family car, which can also be used by the police as well as by families and suits.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sadly cars are just not selling aswell in North America and we don't seem to like wagon/hatchbacks. Look at the Mercedes we don't get the A series hatchs, we get a GLA witch falls under their SUV naming, and it is far from an SUV.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
It doesnt make any sense though, the new 2.3 liter ST was seen again in the US being tested this time with no camo on it, why test a vehicle in a country your not going to sell it in? They could just as easily test in Europe or Germany...seems strange I am hoping they make a smart decision and bring it here, Id trade my 2018 ST in in a heart beat to have one of those detuned 2.3 motors that are talked about being around 300 from the floor. Anyways it is a dream, but it is also strange that they are spending so much time testing a vehicle in an environment it won't be driven in, get what I mean? Secondly about cars they are getting rid of, what about cars we never even got? Like the 2015 Ford Falcon Xr6, thing is ****en sick, inline 6 turbo manual transmission and are comparable car to it is the Fusion? Are you ****in kidding me? The fusion in the US looks nothing like the Falcon and you can't get an inline 6 turbo and you cant get a stick, then the Holden cars, there are so many vehicles made by American Companies that because America is all I want an automatic to be lazy, I want dumb **** on my car, all the other stuff we supposedly don't want, the rest of the world gets...what a load of horse****...don't get me started on the USA's horrible emissions laws, the whole frickin reason we missed out on 99% of the decent import cars that were made in Europe, Japan, and Germany and Australia...its pathetic.

·
Registered
677 Posts
The manufacturer is based in the US, which means much of their engineering. The US also has a wide range of climate to test in, but besides that, manufacturers test all kinds of cars in the US that aren't intended to be sold here. When I went to school in Detroit, I'd see current Lancias, FIATs, Alfa Romeos, and even the odd French car on manufacturer plates that were never going to be sold in the US. Emissions is generally a small reason any of those cars you mention are not sold in the US as most of those cars have federalized engines available. A big problem is volume:profit on cars that just do not have wide appeal in the consumer market. Low volumes require high profits, but the required price point would be too high to sell even small volumes. Another issue has to do with product overlap and internal politics—managers of a particular model don't want its sales divided by what could be considered a "duplicate" vehicle (say, a Focus wagon and an Escape—they're not the same, but there is overlap, and due to CAFE's stupid way of regulating, the Escape helps their CAFE much more than a Focus wagon would, plus they make more money off the POS Escape. There's a few reasons they're not selling the Focus here anymore, but a big one is that they're not profitable enough a model meaning, the customer gets too much value for their dollar. Yes, I would never buy an Escape and would buy a Focus wagon, but Ford doesn't care because they wouldn't make enough off my sale and the other few hundred people that would have also bought them or gone elsewhere. Most would probably move into the Escape and the rest of us would have to go . . . well, nowhere, as nobody makes a wagon in that price class besides, maybe VW and I'd buy a 1985 Caprice before I buy one of those POS.). And with CAFE, a car has more stringent CAFE standards to meet than "trucks" even when most of those vehicles classified as trucks are really jacked up, slightly butch cars with a bogus reactive AWD system. The Escape, which is the Focus platform helps their CAFE for their (much more profitable) trucks, while the car doesn't or is CAFE neutral with the Focus even though it has better mileage due to the BS classification system CAFE uses. The problem isn't so much that CAFE exists, it's how the lobbyists and paid-for law makers wrote the loop holes into it. Other issues would be stuff like the very expensive crash testing and variations in standards, like differences in lighting requirements, and even windshields. Lighting alone can cost millions and there just isn't that potential profit. Making what enthusiasts want has sent many manufacturer to the grave or a buyout because, not only are there very few of us, fewer would be willing to buy any given enthusiast car new, fewer still could afford it, and it seems there's always an excuse for not buying what they've said they've wanted for years: no manual/automatic transmission option, too little power, terrible color choice, unforgivably ugly design or aspect of design, too boring a design, too noticeable design, some small part seems cheap, not cheap enough (even though it's an acknowledged low-volume car, which goes back to volume:profit), they're waiting for the early hype to die down and they're languishing on the lots with thousands off a year or so later, they're going to wait until they're used and half the price, the salesman farted during the test drive, whatever. I don't like this and I don't know what I'll replace this car with, but they're not developing the next billion-dollar platform on the money they make off me buying a Focus every 5 or 6 years, they're developing it from the profit off the high-margin crossovers and trucks that not only make more money/unit, but make up what seems like about 85% (and growing) of every parking lot and traffic jam.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wonder if Ford will be using the same open deck block design on the 2019 model ST & RS as in the past. I have seen issues with the RS especially with additional HP. Its not a Ford without warped heads. 2.3 Stroker maybe??

21 - 39 of 39 Posts