Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The two times I went to fill my tank, before it was half empty, The pump would shut off as soon as I would press the trigger...

I am going to call the dealer (I bought the car last October). I just wanted to see if anyone else experienced this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Only issue I have had is with the pump nozzles at one station, they would not open up the little flap. I think it was the wrong diameter nozzle...on all their pumps. Worked fine at the station across the street.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Only a few times between SE and ST Focuses. So rare that I attributed it to the pumps themselves (maybe 3 times in a total of 330k miles). I would be able to get gas in each instance by constantly squeezing and nearly releasing the trigger below the halfway point. Probably quicker to try a different pump, but it worked each time.

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
Happens once in awhile with mine, remove nozzle and try again. Not worth going to dealer imho

·
Registered
385 Posts
The two times I went to fill my tank, before it was half empty, The pump would shut off as soon as I would press the trigger...

I am going to call the dealer (I bought the car last October). I just wanted to see if anyone else experienced this.

That’s an issue with the gas pumps, not the car. I’d either bring it up to the gas station employee or just move up to a different pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
962 Posts
Ok this actually could be caused by the evap purge valve if you have a faulty one because what happens is it builds to much pressure in the tank and it shuts off. Now if you have had the recall done then its prolly not that. I have found if you let your tank get really low some fuel for some reason will let off alot of fumes and will cause this from the back pressure against the fuel coming out of the nozzle. Again some places have nozzles that dispense at a high rate of flow and it creates so much fumes that the fumes dont release fast enough up the lol tiny line that goes up the side of the tank to release excess fill fumes so it also shuts the trigger off. Either way alot of this has to do with either rate of flow or excess fumes in your tank, and the triggers on alot of pumps if working correctly will shut off when they sense a greater amount of reverse pressure on the fill line of your gas tank.

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
Same for me. Rare enough to not be bothersome, but enough to have noticed.
I wonder if it’s as @GotAFoSTnSpeed6 suggested and a symptom of a faulty purge valve. Maybe the recall has been out long enough that my dealer has done a few and risk of Ecu/Bcu getting bricked is minimal?

·
Registered
298 Posts
When you are filling, vapors are displaced through the vent valve. Not the purge. The only symptoms youll have when a purge has failed open is an extended crank/misfire after filling up due to those displaced fumes filling the intake manifold.

Just for clarification.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have an 18 ST, there is not recalls for that year . I ask every time I change the oil at the dealer.
I have an 18 and your dealer is a moron or just not checking. I have had 2 recalls done. The cold start misfire, which is a TSB not a recall so I take that, but I also had the purge valve software update which is a recall.

·
Registered
962 Posts
When you are filling, vapors are displaced through the vent valve. Not the purge. The only symptoms youll have when a purge has failed open is an extended crank/misfire after filling up due to those displaced fumes filling the intake manifold.

Just for clarification.
I think I confused myself while explaining, because I purge valve in the begg in ng but then I started talking about the vent line for the tank, I'm not sure why? But I do believe the evap valve can result in excess pressure or.vacuum on the tank as the valve is what caused some people's tank deformation, not directly but because it failed.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I think I confused myself while explaining, because I purge valve in the begg in ng but then I started talking about the vent line for the tank, I'm not sure why? But I do believe the evap valve can result in excess pressure or.vacuum on the tank as the valve is what caused some people's tank deformation, not directly but because it failed.
Assuming your vent valve is working correctly, it's a normally opened valve. When you shut the car off the vent opens and any excess tank vacuum will be released. If the vent is stuck shut or theres a restriction in the vent hose or canister, sure.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Happened to mine last full up. Kept clicking so I removed it and put it back in. Then the 2nd time, it didn’t click at all and gas splurged out all over me and the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That’s an issue with the gas pumps, not the car. I’d either bring it up to the gas station employee or just move up to a

Happened to mine last full up. Kept clicking so I removed it and put it back in. Then the 2nd time, it didn’t click at all and gas splurged out all over me and the car.
The possibility overflow is what I am worried about. The last time this happened I have to pump with the trigger half pressed. I use the same station and the same pump, and I just find it strange that the pump/car. will not fill up normally if the tank is more than half full

·
Registered
1 Posts
Summary: Ford motor company (ford) is recalling certain 2012-2018 ford focus vehicles with a 2.0l gdi or 2.0l gtdi engine. the canister purge valve (cpv) may malfunction, possibly causing excessive vacuum in fuel vapor management system.
The issues can be catastrophic so please ensure you check you’re vin! You can download CREDIT-KARMA and add you’re details there for free since you upload you’re VIN it’ll tell you all recalls and if you are eligible to refinance. Hope this helped

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have an 18 ST, there is not recalls for that year . I ask every time I change the oil at the dealer.
I have a 2018 ST, they sent me the letter about the recall shortly after I bought it (summer 2018), and I had the recall done 3 weeks ago (got the letter saying the part was available about 4 weeks ago). So, not sure about your car not having the recall...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought it at the end of 2018. Before it handed to me,took few days, they said were going to check it before delivery. Months later I checked vin number with Ford owners app. I found the dealer charged Ford $150.00 for some kind of service on the car. It may had been the recal or service bulletin. They never told me what it was.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That’s an issue with the gas pumps, not the car. I’d either bring it up to the gas station employee or just move up to a different pump.

Try putting in a bottle of dry gas. It just pours onto the ground. I had to insert the gas nozzles half way to open the flap and then pour the dry gas down the shaft of the nozzle.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts