1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
371 Posts
For whatever reason I am not able to open the link at work. But interesting they are making another class!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's the original link - http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files/scca/downloads/000/020/306/17-fastrack-April-Solo.pdf

Here is the link of the one that strikes out the area which lists no intercoolers (page 29 14.10.F)- https://dk1xgl0d43mu1.cloudfront.net/user_files/scca/downloads/000/018/644/17-fastrack-January.pdf?1483478851

With that said I haven't seen anything regarding how it will all shake down for the new STH class, only the bit of information listed in the first link.

Here's what is struck out that mentions inter-coolers.

14.10.F The engine management system parameters and operation of internal
combustion engines may be modified only via the methods listed be- low. These
allowances also apply to forced induction cars, except that no changes to standard
boost levels, intercoolers, or boost controls are permitted.

I didn't look to see if intercoolers are listed elsewhere or not however if they aren't I believe this would leave it open.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks.

To me it seems that unless 14.10.C gets re-worded, or they add verbiage that explicitly allows intercooler changes elsewhere, they will still be prohibited.

14.10.C
The air intake system up to, but not including, the engine inlet may be
modified or replaced. The engine inlet is the throttle body, carburetor,
compressor inlet, or intake manifold, whichever comes first. The existing
structure of the car may not be modified for the passage of ducting
from the air cleaner to the engine inlet. Holes may be drilled for
mounting. Emissions or engine management components in the air
intake system, such as a PCV valve or mass airflow sensor, may not be
removed, modified, or replaced, and must retain their original function
along the flow path.
Technically the intercooler is part of the air intake system. Based on the wording of this rule we can only modify the intake up to (but not including) the compressor inlet. Anything after the compressor inlet would be off limits for Street Touring.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks.

To me it seems that unless 14.10.C gets re-worded, or they add verbiage that explicitly allows intercooler changes elsewhere, they will still be prohibited.

14.10.C
The air intake system up to, but not including, the engine inlet may be
modified or replaced. The engine inlet is the throttle body, carburetor,
compressor inlet, or intake manifold, whichever comes first. The existing
structure of the car may not be modified for the passage of ducting
from the air cleaner to the engine inlet. Holes may be drilled for
mounting. Emissions or engine management components in the air
intake system, such as a PCV valve or mass airflow sensor, may not be
removed, modified, or replaced, and must retain their original function
along the flow path.
Technically the intercooler is part of the air intake system. Based on the wording of this rule we can only modify the intake up to (but not including) the compressor inlet. Anything after the compressor inlet would be off limits for Street Touring.
Thanks!!

That's the part I was missing. I was specifically looking for the word intercooler. Compressor inlet would be the turbo which is before the intercooler. I still think this will be a good class for us :). The non-modified ecu/boost level thing was always irritating to me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The concept of opening up boost is interesting to me. Personally, I don't have interest in running ST* due to the prep costs and fact that the car would be less comfortable as a DD, but I'm curious to know what folks here think about the class....

Is it appealing to have open boost in ST*?

Does the proposed set of cars in the class give the FoST a chance to compete?

If the FoST isn't one of the top cars, would you still run this class?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The concept of opening up boost is interesting to me. Personally, I don't have interest in running ST* due to the prep costs and fact that the car would be less comfortable as a DD, but I'm curious to know what folks here think about the class....

Is it appealing to have open boost in ST*?

Does the proposed set of cars in the class give the FoST a chance to compete?

If the FoST isn't one of the top cars, would you still run this class?
I think it is appealing only because I'm use to running a tune and hate removing it for events. I currently run in STX and ran in SMF last year, I've also ran in open classes before so it doesn't really matter what cars are in class, I'm game...lol

No doubt that the ST is not a top car in STX at current and I'm fine with that, creation of this new class allowing me some additional modification in even more OK with :).

I too am curious what others think.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also have coilovers so aside from an ST class I would need to run in a prepared or modified class which I definitely don't plan to be modded to.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Some people believe that the MINI Cooper S will be the car to beat in STH at the national level.
I agree that the Mini will be the car to beat. A well-prepared focus should still be competitive at least at the regional level.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I participated in the Street Touring town hall last Tuesday. Here are my notes (I believe this to be accurate as of the town hall, if anyone else participated and can make corrections feel free to do so). The part regarding the Mini was especially interesting.

ECU
- Confirmed during 2016 protest that there is no way to truly verify this.
- Open ECU was decided to be the best way to go (vs. stock ECU)
- This is not an 'open boost' rule
- Hardware is easy to police, software is not. Mechanical boost would still not be allowed.
- Basically the 'limit' to power is in hardware, so you can only get so much power out of the bolt-on mods allowed for the class.
- Traction Control - Open also as part of ECU
Octane Restrictions
- This IS a testable item
- 93 Octane with a +.9 variance, nothing more will be allowed
- There was discussion about 93 not being available on the West Coast however it was stated that these same competitors would have 93 available if they were participating in an event in an area which it was available.
- Allowed up to 15% Ethanol.

STH
- 38 Cars will be placed here
- STH will replace STF
- Primarily meant for FWD Turbo Cars
- I don't recall any final determination on the Mini however it was proposed to go to STH. With that said there was a lot of discussion about the thought that it should go to STU. I believe there will be clarification on this later.

Toward the end there was a survey regarding Airbags and Safety systems and whether it should be OK to disable them (I believe this was in reference to seat swaps).

That's all I found out.

·
Registered
926 Posts
The seat swap I think for most of us would be an okay item when it comes to the safety and airbags point in a modified class. It would also depend on the context of the discussion.

·
Registered
410 Posts
interesting...i think i'm safer with my seat swap despite no airbag. i don't have a resistor in there so the light is on. who knows what would happen in an accident? I have my seat because i'm tall and dont fit with a helmet otherwise.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The discussion sounds to me as though seat swaps won't be an issue (they aren't at current as far as I recall). it was toward the end of a 2 hr webinar that started after 9 PM so my notes got a little fuzzy at that pint...ha ha

·
Registered
181 Posts
So what's the decision on intercoolers?
I would love to be able to keep the engine safer and cooler while on the autox course

·
Registered
682 Posts
So what's the decision on intercoolers?
I would love to be able to keep the engine safer and cooler while on the autox course
Nope still no intercoolers. If it isn't specifically listed as a part that can be swapped out in favor of a modded one, then it isn't allowed. If you look further down into Street Prepared, you will see that intercoolers are an allowed mod, so you either keep the stock IC and run in Street Touring, or bump up to SP get your ass kicked and have fun.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In case anyone is still watching this thread and is curious - inter coolers are allowed now. Well have to keep an eye open as to how the class will morph over the coming years.

·
Registered
682 Posts
They are allowed now. But only the Vortech is 100% legal for the FoST as it retains the AGS, all others are still not legal for STH

1 - 20 of 28 Posts