Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, Sid, was looking forward to hearing your report. Did they give a reason for the cancellation?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Sorry, Sid, was looking forward to hearing your report. Did they give a reason for the cancellation?
Heres my email to the SCCA:

Good morning, with about 22 or so days away from the event, and only 9 entries, is the minimum entry going to be lowered like for the SD Match Tour, or is this event a bust?

SCCA's reply:

" Hi, Now that we are 3 weeks prior to the time this event was scheduled we have had to make a decision on the event. Currently we only have 9 entered with no obvious site of enough joining the event to make it large enough to give the support of a National level event. With that, we have decided to cancel the event. Everyone entered has been canceled and a full refund has been issued."

Poor planning on the SCCA's part is what I'm thinking. They planned a tour event after Nats, in a region that isn't as big as say, California, or even some of the smaller East coast regions. This event probably would have gained more traction if it was in either A) a region that has a larger scale impact, or B) an event held before Nats.

I took a gamble on this event (couldn't do Nats because of work schedule), but it sucks either way because, I don't know if the NM region will ever host a national event because they were never really given a fair chance. Looks like it will be local events for the rest of the year for me until the first 2019 national event.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also seems that Match Tours, in general, are having a hard time getting attendance. San Diego should have been a *huge* draw because Jack Murphy, er, Qualcomm, er, San Diego Credit Union Stadium is a fantastic autocross site. San Diego Region didn't get to be known as "land of the third gear autocross" for nothing! I only went there once, in '94, for my first National Tour event.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Also seems that Match Tours, in general, are having a hard time getting attendance. San Diego should have been a *huge* draw because Jack Murphy, er, Qualcomm, er, San Diego Credit Union Stadium is a fantastic autocross site. San Diego Region didn't get to be known as "land of the third gear autocross" for nothing! I only went there once, in '94, for my first National Tour event.
Haha yes!! Along with the off camber, elevation changes, and high grip, it makes for a fun time. The Match Tours are an interesting format as well being that all comps run on 1 day and its a separate challenge the next. The SD region drivers are also an interesting bunch as well. Historically they register at the last minute, which is what happened this year, as well as the previous year. They still made their numbers. I believe the Pitt Match Tour had no issues with attendance either at 196. So yeah, I still stand by my theory on poor planning and advertising.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'd suggest coming to Medford, Oregon for Siskiyou Sports Car Club's unique annual Fall Enduro at the Jackson County Sports Park, but I suspect spending 15-16 hours driving there is not within your allocated trip time? Because STH is a new class, someone will very likely set a new record if they enter.

Capture.PNG

Course: Five laps, outside track, clockwise, one timed run that varies from 4 to 5 minutes. Current Fall Enduro records: http://www.ssccmedford.org/documents/results/Fall-Enduro-Records-2017.pdf
Cost: Pre-Registration, SSCC & other club members - $70.00; Non-members - $75.00. At track, add $5.00.
Refunds: Refunds will only be offered if contact is made by Thursday, October 4, at 4 p.m.
Practice Groups (A,B or C): Choose your first and second preferences on the entry form for your desired practice group. Earliest entries will have first placement. Maximum of 24 cars in a practice group.

Friday: Registration, Tech & Practice, 1:00 - 4:30 p.m. practice group A, open practice 4:30 - dusk.

Saturday: Registration, Tech & Practice: 9:00 a.m.- 12:30 p.m. practice group B, 1:00 - 4:30 practice group C

Sunday: Registration & Tech 8:15 - 1:00. Timed runs start 9:00 a.m. (see Run Groups below). Brief mandatory meeting at 8:30 a.m. for groups 1 & 2, 10:50 a.m. for groups 3 & 4, 1:10 p.m. for groups 5 & 6. If you miss the driversʼ meeting for your run group, you will loose your position in that group. Cars should be ready to grid immediately after the meeting.

Sunday Run Groups: Choose your first and second preferences on the entry form for your desired run group on Sunday. Earliest entries will have first placement. Maximum of twelve cars to a run group.
The approximate times for the run groups are: Group 1 9:00 - 10:10 Group 3 11:20 - 12:30 Group 5 1:40 - 2:50 Group 2 10:10 - 11:20 Group 4 12:30 - 1:40 Group 6 2:50 - 4:00

Contacts: Len Qualls 541-778-0461 or Chris Bird 541-331-2994

·
Registered
723 Posts
That looks like a cool event, but no 15-16 hour drive time one way is not something I planned for, especially towing the car with the wife and kids. If I were to take any trip of that distance for racing purposes, I would have to have the car towed or driven out by a co driver, and then fly out.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Enduros, due to their uniqueness, are something worth planning on entering. They're really not well-known outside of Oregon and Northern California. I've driven the track a few times, but something always interfered with doing any of the Enduro events.

Old-timers will remember when you could casually visit the track and take a run. Self-service, where you put money in a coffee can. Something like $2 a run. Kind of like the autocross permit issued by Salina, Kansas, to use the old WWII runway in East Crawford city park, LOL!

Doing some research on the last time I drove the track and it appears to have been in 2006 at the annual Mirafiori Fiat gathering when the owner let me take a lap or two in his gutted 2 liter Volumex supercharged Lancia Beta Zagato, back when it was a work-in-progress. Only 180-200 bhp, but the weight was probably down to about 1600 lbs, so similar experience to an ST. On the first run, in a sideways moment entering the banked curve, I discovered no one had adjusted the brake balance to compensate for all the weight removed from the rear of the car. A work-in-progress, indeed!

Car was sold in 2009 and went to Colorado where it was resold in 2010.
Capture1.PNG
Capture2.PNG
Capture3.PNG

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For what it's worth to FiST & FoST drivers, Enduro records for GS & SMF are somewhat soft, while records in HS, CSP, & DSP are very soft. And, as already mentioned, since it is new this year, there is no record in STH.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts