Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So. I walked by a brand spankin 18 Accord Sport today. Didn't hear about its release or ever see one before. I said dang, that's a good looking car, then I saw it was an Accord, and finally saw it was a 6 speed. Now I'm intrigued. I check it out online and see that all the power and straight line specs are nearly identical to the ST. MSRP around 30k it looks like. Now this begs the question, is the Accord now in the ring with ST? I think it has to be now. 252hp @ 6500 and 273tq @ 1500 is super similar to us. It's a fully loaded Accord so it's going to have all the creature comforts of an ST3 and probably more, but it won't have the seats, it lacks in the lateral G's, braking, and tires. It has 12.3 front brakes, 19" Goodyear Eagle All seasons and only sustains .85G compared to our .95. So suspension is probably soft and brakes aren't super aggresive (duh, it's a sedan, not a racecar). In that same breath though, you still have all the race car power AND at the same weight as the ST as a mid size sedan! And Honda always weighs curb weight with a full fuel tank 14.8 gal.

I just bought my ST in April brand new 2017. The fuel economy is really getting me down on it. Stock tune and only intake. Last week I only got 20mpg commuting through 35mph roads not hooning. Granted, oil wasn't to temp, but I'm not going to let my car idle for 25 minutes every single morning to do that. I let it get through the warmup cycle before driving so I don't just hammer it as soon as the engine turns over. Even so, it's no secret the ST gets awful mpg. I've never gotten higher than 27 even on cruise control open road for hours. The WRX gets better mpg, GTi gets better mpg, and you know that constant spirited driving in a Honda will still get you 25mpg compared to our 17-20. You could probably take the annual fuel savings and dump that into suspension and brake upgrades, or at least cover losses on trade in.

Honda has always been close to my heart and I come from a Honda background. It boils down to the ST looks cooler, but the Accord looks nicer. What do you guys think?

Another benefit, you won't have to deal with a Ford dealer again or the antics of Ford corporate and you get Honda reliability and longevity. Down side, you have to deal with trashy Honda guys again.

The Accord just looks more refined. It looks more well thought out. I mean, what kind of designer puts an antenna on a racecar? No shark fin? Really?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
So. I walked by a brand spankin 18 Accord Sport today. Didn't hear about its release or ever see one before. I said dang, that's a good looking car, then I saw it was an Accord, and finally saw it was a 6 speed. Now I'm intrigued. I check it out online and see that all the power and straight line specs are nearly identical to the ST. MSRP around 30k it looks like. Now this begs the question, is the Accord now in the ring with ST? I think it has to be now. 252hp @ 6500 and 273tq @ 1500 is super similar to us. It's a fully loaded Accord so it's going to have all the creature comforts of an ST3 and probably more, but it won't have the seats, it lacks in the lateral G's, braking, and tires. It has 12.3 front brakes, 19" Goodyear Eagle All seasons and only sustains .85G compared to our .95. So suspension is probably soft and brakes aren't super aggresive (duh, it's a sedan, not a racecar). In that same breath though, you still have all the race car power AND at the same weight as the ST as a mid size sedan! And Honda always weighs curb weight with a full fuel tank 14.8 gal.

I just bought my ST in April brand new 2017. The fuel economy is really getting me down on it. Stock tune and only intake. Last week I only got 20mpg commuting through 35mph roads not hooning. Granted, oil wasn't to temp, but I'm not going to let my car idle for 25 minutes every single morning to do that. I let it get through the warmup cycle before driving so I don't just hammer it as soon as the engine turns over. Even so, it's no secret the ST gets awful mpg. I've never gotten higher than 27 even on cruise control open road for hours. The WRX gets better mpg, GTi gets better mpg, and you know that constant spirited driving in a Honda will still get you 25mpg compared to our 17-20. You could probably take the annual fuel savings and dump that into suspension and brake upgrades, or at least cover losses on trade in.

Honda has always been close to my heart and I come from a Honda background. It boils down to the ST looks cooler, but the Accord looks nicer. What do you guys think?

Another benefit, you won't have to deal with a Ford dealer again or the antics of Ford corporate and you get Honda reliability and longevity. Down side, you have to deal with trashy Honda guys again.

The Accord just looks more refined. It looks more well thought out. I mean, what kind of designer puts an antenna on a racecar? No shark fin? Really?
It's theoretically the competition for the Fusion Sport if I'd have to guess. If you're a Honda guy and want a chippy family car that you can upgrade suspension/tire/brake wise and make into quite the little sleeper, it's a good choice. I would anticipate lower amounts of aftermarket availability...but it is a Honda so maybe not?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's theoretically the competition for the Fusion Sport if I'd have to guess.
Marketing wise, yeah, but looking at the 6-speed 2.0T specifically, I really can't find a reason it can't be compared to the ST. It's brand new so tuners and developers are still working on stuff, but it's still a Honda, people are going to make stuff for it. The aftermarket-market is going to be flooded real quick. I can't find specs like intercooler volume or turbo make/model to determine mod ceiling. I'm going to assume the turbo is at least the same as ours and the intercooler I feel is probably larger because Honda usually covers their bases pretty well. If the turbo is bigger, a stage 1 OTS map will be ridiculous.

Reactions: brian60

·
Super Moderator
9,515 Posts
Marketing wise, yeah, but looking at the 6-speed 2.0T specifically, I really can't find a reason it can't be compared to the ST. It's brand new so tuners and developers are still working on stuff, but it's still a Honda, people are going to make stuff for it. The aftermarket-market is going to be flooded real quick. I can't find specs like intercooler volume or turbo make/model to determine mod ceiling. I'm going to assume the turbo is at least the same as ours and the intercooler I feel is probably larger because Honda usually covers their bases pretty well. If the turbo is bigger, a stage 1 OTS map will be ridiculous.
I did some poking around to try and find a weight and couldn't; did find one source that said 0-60 was 6.2 seconds. If that is correct I would assume it's due to the weight. In any case, it's a Honda, so I'm sure it will be a good car and there will be some aftermarket.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did some poking around to try and find a weight and couldn't; did find one source that said 0-60 was 6.2 seconds. If that is correct I would assume it's due to the weight. In any case, it's a Honda, so I'm sure it will be a good car and there will be some aftermarket.
Accord 3276lb
ST 3223

So power to weight is the same as us

Here's the sources I've been using.
2018 Honda Accord First Test - Motor Trend
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-honda-accord-sport-20t-manual-test-review

·
Super Moderator
9,515 Posts
After some thought, I kind of doubt there is going to be much headroom with the turbo they are using. In order to make 273 ft/lb of torque at 1500 rpm, the turbo is going to have to be able to spool really fast, faster than the ST's KO3 spools; only a teeny tiny turbo is going to spool that fast. The ST is rated at 270 ft/lb at 2500 rpm.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
After some thought, I kind of doubt there is going to be much headroom with the turbo they are using. In order to make 273 ft/lb of torque at 1500 rpm, the turbo is going to have to be able to spool really fast, faster than the ST's KO3 spools; only a teeny tiny turbo is going to spool that fast. The ST is rated at 270 ft/lb at 2500 rpm.
Reportedly the same less aggressively tuned motor as the Type-R. So it'll have some headroom minus only for any changes that may have taken place for the accord's fitment. This confirms you're right about the small turbo though for sure, and beyond Type-R numbers it will become turbo limited immediately.

·
Registered
194 Posts
At which point I'd rather get a Type-R and just rip off the obnoxious spoiler and bondo the fake vents smooth.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Even so, it's no secret the ST gets awful mpg. I've never gotten higher than 27 even on cruise control open road for hours. The WRX gets better mpg, GTi gets better mpg, and you know that constant spirited driving in a Honda will still get you 25mpg compared to our 17-20. You could probably take the annual fuel savings and dump that into suspension and brake upgrades, or at least cover losses on trade in.
I don't think you'd get significantly better mileage in any of those cars. Maybe the Honda but it won't ever cover losses on trade-in IMO.
Also I don't get good gas mileage on ANY car I've ever driven regardless b/c of my driving style. I do a lot of in town driving and I always like to let them gears rev. I hardly ever shift early or drive really casual. Averaging about 20-21mpg in the Focus ST and that's fine with me. I avg 23mpg if Jetta 1.8 doing the same king of driving. With an Accord Sport maybe I'd average 24mpg if I'm lucky. Not much of a mpg savings for me. I love Honda shifters but I don't need the size of the Accord at all so I'd never go that route.

On a side note, I test drove an Accord V6 coupe 6spd manual last year. Fantastic interior and really comfortable. Almost bought it but the brakes were so-so and it just felt a little top heavy to me, so I passed.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I've always wondered how I've seen some people on here always having lower mpg issues. I don't baby my throttle. On my fswerks stage 2 93 tune I average 28 mpg and when I click over to stock tune for road trips I get 30-32 on the interstate cruising around 75. Could it be the difference in the face lift model compared to the earlier models? Aero?

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I love when people buy a "sports car" and want great MPG. k.... sorry I just dont get that, buy a Pruis

The new Honda cars are all gross to me, I do not like the look even a little. Type R is the worst and the Accord is a close 2nd to being an eye sore. my point, looks of a car are opinion based and I have an opinion and don't like the looks.

I get around 31 mpg to and from work on my 48 mile one way commute. I set cruise and I don't hoon... otherwise I get 20ish MPG.

I can assure you that the Honda will not handle the same as the ST, so if you do "hoon" the car on back roads or want to autoX it then the Honda will not tickle that itch. A Type R of course would be not a Accord. You might be able to put some massive sways on the accord and coilovers and then it might start to feel sporty

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
The Accord doesnt compete with the Focus ST, people are not cross shopping those two models. You are either in the market for 4 door family sedan or a hot hatch. The stats sound similar on paper but thats probably as far as it goes. If I was in the market for a turbo sedan with more rear room than the focus or even a few more options, then sure.

Now, could the Accord be fun? Perhaps but it wont be the same feeling as the ST without some modifications. Add stickier tires, coilovers/springs and perhaps a pad (and/or proper brake upgrade) and you could have some of that feel back.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Yeah, I'd have to agree with Brian when he said it was more

than it is for the Focus ST. An Accord Sport is more of a rebel accountant's car.
Yeah once the car officially becomes more "around" I'm sure more and more reviews will come out and confirm it's targeting the Fusion Sport. It makes perfect sense. It isn't like Honda would release the Type R attacking the shiny new RS and just leave the sleeper Fusion Sport alone...

Edit: I would HATE autocrossing an Accord...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Not to mention the Accord (any Accord) is currently classed as HS. So it would have to beat EVERY Civic Si except the Mugen from '08 and the 2017 (which are classed GS) AND the Fiesta ST, aka the current HS king.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Not to mention the Accord (any Accord) is currently classed as HS. So it would have to beat EVERY Civic Si except the Mugen from '08 and the 2017 (which are classed GS) AND the Fiesta ST, aka the current HS king.
I hadn't considered that...oh god regardless of power it'll get destroyed without some serious modification.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts