Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new to the Focus scene and this forum so bear with me. I just bought a new 2017 Focus ST3 less than a week ago and I am thrilled with the car overall, I absolutely love it. The one thing I am disappointed with is the sound, particularly the subwoofer. I am very much into metal music so I love feeling those kick drums in my chest. Unfortunately, despite all the tinkering I did within the Sync 3 system, I get very little from this sound system. I get more of a sloppy bass sound, as opposed to nice, tight kicks. Using an equalizer on my phone (playing music via bluetooth) helps, but it still underachieves. It's sad because my 2009 Escape XLS, which is as minimal as you can get, easily out-performs my ST3's sound, at least when it comes to the subwoofer's performance. I'm not looking for anything crazy, just something that provides that tight kicking sound. Is this a known issue with these ST's? If so, do I have any practical upgrade options?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Look into the DSR-1, and get rid of that Sony amp back there. It is the culprit. Sadly, it uses equalization reduction on the low end to protect the low-quality speakers Ford chose. A decent set of speakers, 5 channel amp, and the DSR-1 is the answer, albeit not the cheap nor easy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Yup, there is some seriously bad acoustic engineering done on the factory Sony Amp that cannot be changed, and ruins everything. Replace that, with a Rocford Fosgate DSR1 and add a proper amp, will fix a lot of the shortcomings of the sound system. I have no idea what the guys/gals were smoking when they did the tuning on that thing. It's utter crap.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
On top of the EQ fukcery that the OEM amp uses, another huge problem with the piss poor bass response is that the factory sub enclosure is terribly small and can't kick out good solid bass.

Yes I agree that my wife's old Escape (08 XLT) with the base sound system was a lot louder and had a lot more good bass that this "premium" Sony system has, but that was also a different generation of Ford's audio systems, all the new systems starting with the 12 focus and 13 escapes have much worse and much weaker systems than the previous generations did.

At a minimum, I would get a aftermarket amp and sub, if just doing that, you could get away with a LC2i. But a better recommendation would be to get a DSR1 and a multi channel amp like a 5ch and a sub, you can drive the OEM speakers off of a new amp to save on cost, but sooner or later I would definitely get new speakers too.

Problem is the Sony system is garbage from every level aside from the head unit. And if good sound is what you are after, then full replacement is the only way I can recommend going.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Kona Blue ST3
526 Posts
Stuffing the stock box with polyfil does improve the stock sub noticeably, although it still isn't on par with an actual decent quality aftermarket sub. But it'll tighten up the bass and make it less muddy, which is what you're after. $3 for a bag of polyfil from Walmart, and 20-30 minutes of your time. Even as a temporary fix it's worth it until you upgrade.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Look into the DSR-1, and get rid of that Sony amp back there. It is the culprit. Sadly, it uses equalization reduction on the low end to protect the low-quality speakers Ford chose. A decent set of speakers, 5 channel amp, and the DSR-1 is the answer, albeit not the cheap nor easy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So you're saying I could manage with the stock subwoofer itself (maybe try the polyfil solution mentioned below), but replacing the amp and adding the DSR1 is critical? Like I said, I'm just after some tighter bass, do you think I could manage with the stock speakers as well then?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I personally don't see any way of making the OEM sub sounds anywhere near good enough.
I poly filled the box the first week I got the car, I also tried the OEM sub just for sh!t and giggles after putting in my DSR1 and new amp. The OEM speakers were no longer terrible but the bass was still just not there...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I personally don't see any way of making the OEM sub sounds anywhere near good enough.
I poly filled the box the first week I got the car, I also tried the OEM sub just for sh!t and giggles after putting in my DSR1 and new amp. The OEM speakers were no longer terrible but the bass was still just not there...

Ok. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts