Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've got a few items I'm already kind of looking into for my 2017 FoST. I'm looking at first potentially doing the FMIC as I've seen people reporting some issues with the stock inter-cooler. The exhaust I've heard good things about but I'm still slightly on the fence. Anyone with experience with the MBRP that would like to chime in, please feel free! As far as the wing risers, I'm not sure how the 2017 body is compared to the 2013-2014s. I will also definitely be getting that clear 3M protector bra as I've read some good things about that.

I haven't seen anyone here that's got a 2017 yet running many modifications so I don't exactly know what will or won't work. I'll probably have to get the exhaust work done by a shop somewhere, but the FMIC, from what I've read, is just a "bolt on" piece.

I doubt these things will get done very soon, but I was just looking around. For now it'll probably just be appearance mods and general maintenance. Gonna ride the warranty out and then start having fun!

Throw in some wheel suggestions as well, I really do like the look of the stock wheels and will probably keep them around for a while, but ideas about other things as well would be nice.

FMIC: Ford Focus ST Lightweight ?Core? Front Mount Intercooler - cp-e?

Exhaust: MBRP - http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-performance/709-st-exhaust-thread.html (bottom exhaust on the original post)

Wing Risers: http://www.focusst.org/forum/boomba-racing/32438-official-boomba-wing-riser-photo-thread.html

·
Registered
125 Posts
I can't help with the modifications, but I did order and install a 3M front clear bra for my 2016. The kit was around 300, and I got it from Car Protection Pros - my kit has a partial hood covering.

If you are thinking of installing it yourself, make sure you have a lint free and wind free place to work (like the garage with the door down). I have a couple chihuahua hairs immortalized on my bumper cover.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hey guys,

I've got a few items I'm already kind of looking into for my 2017 FoST. I'm looking at first potentially doing the FMIC as I've seen people reporting some issues with the stock inter-cooler. The exhaust I've heard good things about but I'm still slightly on the fence. Anyone with experience with the MBRP that would like to chime in, please feel free! As far as the wing risers, I'm not sure how the 2017 body is compared to the 2013-2014s. I will also definitely be getting that clear 3M protector bra as I've read some good things about that.

I haven't seen anyone here that's got a 2017 yet running many modifications so I don't exactly know what will or won't work. I'll probably have to get the exhaust work done by a shop somewhere, but the FMIC, from what I've read, is just a "bolt on" piece.

I doubt these things will get done very soon, but I was just looking around. For now it'll probably just be appearance mods and general maintenance. Gonna ride the warranty out and then start having fun!

Throw in some wheel suggestions as well, I really do like the look of the stock wheels and will probably keep them around for a while, but ideas about other things as well would be nice.

FMIC: Ford Focus ST Lightweight ?Core? Front Mount Intercooler - cp-e?

Exhaust: MBRP - http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-performance/709-st-exhaust-thread.html (bottom exhaust on the original post)

Wing Risers: http://www.focusst.org/forum/boomba-racing/32438-official-boomba-wing-riser-photo-thread.html
2017 model should be compatible with any 2015+ products. The difference between the facelift (15+) and pre-facelift (13-14) is front and rear bumper, front and rear lights, hood, trunk (boot), some of the engine sensors (I know the intake sensor is different), engine cover (I am thinking about the aftermarket ones are marketed for only 13-14). I might have missed one or two things but that should be the majority of it.

None of the parts you have mentioned are different between the models.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2017 model should be compatible with any 2015+ products. The difference between the facelift (15+) and pre-facelift (13-14) is front and rear bumper, front and rear lights, hood, trunk (boot), some of the engine sensors (I know the intake sensor is different), engine cover (I am thinking about the aftermarket ones are marketed for only 13-14). I might have missed one or two things but that should be the majority of it.

None of the parts you have mentioned are different between the models.
I appreciate the information. It kind of seemed like a lot was going to be compatible, I just wasn't sure how much had changed since the earlier models.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't help with the modifications, but I did order and install a 3M front clear bra for my 2016. The kit was around 300, and I got it from Car Protection Pros - my kit has a partial hood covering.

If you are thinking of installing it yourself, make sure you have a lint free and wind free place to work (like the garage with the door down). I have a couple chihuahua hairs immortalized on my bumper cover.
Was it pretty easy for the installation? I was thinking about installing it myself, I would have to figure out if anyone in the area did it. I watched a couple videos and the one from 3M specifically, it didn't seem all that involved.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Installation wasn't too bad. The hardest piece, not unexpectedly, was the front bumper - lots of curves. Like you have mentioned, there are lots of videos out there. Its likely you may make a few mistakes your first go around (I know I did - couple little bubbles I had to work out, some trapped debris), but that is the tradeoff in doing it yourself and saving some money over paying for installation. The downside is you get no warranty on the film if you put it on yourself, and you have to fix it yourself if there is a problem. To me, I was putting it on so it could take the rocks and not my paint - If I have some minor errors in the install, that was okay with me.

You could always try the mirrors and door cups first as those are pretty easy. If you find those difficult, you could always take it to an installer to finish. Hope this helps -

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Installation wasn't too bad. The hardest piece, not unexpectedly, was the front bumper - lots of curves. Like you have mentioned, there are lots of videos out there. Its likely you may make a few mistakes your first go around (I know I did - couple little bubbles I had to work out, some trapped debris), but that is the tradeoff in doing it yourself and saving some money over paying for installation. The downside is you get no warranty on the film if you put it on yourself, and you have to fix it yourself if there is a problem. To me, I was putting it on so it could take the rocks and not my paint - If I have some minor errors in the install, that was okay with me.

You could always try the mirrors and door cups first as those are pretty easy. If you find those difficult, you could always take it to an installer to finish. Hope this helps -
Thanks so much! Definitely helps. Right now it's my first new car and like you are saying, I just want it to be there to protect from rocks and chips. I drive on I39/90 quite a bit and right now construction is crazy. The gravel and debris is awful. I'm probably going to avoid driving it on that as much as I can until I can get the protective film. Even if it's not perfect, it's something worth trying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought my 2017 focus as well, I'm in Florida and was thinking about either the leather or Clear coat Bra. I checked online but the leather was hard the year didn't pop up. Let me know once you get the clear coat so I know where to buy it online.

·
Registered
704 Posts
My two cents: I had the 3M clear bra on my Mazda and it only really helped with sand—larger pebbles broke through, clearing a small hole in the bra for further damage—and the installer didn't cover down to the edge of the hood (possibly because it would peel up?), so there was still a strip at the edge that still got sandblasted. Being a Mazda, it rusted quickly, of course. You also have to clean it a little differently to keep it from getting hazy, but if you're not lazy about cleaning, like I am, that shouldn't be a problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts