Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, hello everyone. First post here. I did search for this issue. It seems the 13-14 STs has a TSB for within that led to similar issues. I?m wondering if anyone else with a ?17 has had this problem.
Occasionally, maybe every 4th start but sometimes every other day I will get ?hill start assist unavailable?, ?engine fault, service engine now?, ?traction control unavailable?, ?911 assist unavailable?, and other warnings. The car runs fine, the tach fluctuates like crazy, but it isles smoothly. I can drive it, but I have no power steering or power brakes. Turning the car off does not reset it. I scan the codes with my COBB AP and it?s always different codes with the same symptoms. Sometimes it is ?unable to communicate with vehicle speed sensor? sometimes it is ?AGS related? sometimes ?ABS?. I have tried to pattern it to anything I am doing, but it?s seems completely random. Any ideas?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Additional info: one time the car also failed to start and gave multiple warnings. I tried to turn off ACC power and restart, but it kept saying ?engine on?, although it wasn?t. This made it so that I could t even read/clear codes. There was a relay in the relay box that was clicking very quickly and would not stop. I disconnected the battery for over an hour but the problem persisted. I swapped some relays around and jiggled some ground wires and that issue went away after 3 hours of fooling with it.

Before anyone asks... I didn?t want to just call roadside because I had an e30 tune loaded and couldn?t uninstall it due to the car thinking the engine was running.

That problem has not returned, but the others still happen.

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
The ST does not like a slightly going dead battery. If freaks out for some reason. Test with a new battery and see if the problem persists.

Reactions: brian60

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
The ST does not like a slightly going dead battery. If freaks out for some reason. Test with a new battery and see if the problem persists.
Now that the colder months are upon us lots and lots of ST owners have been posting battery related problems. He's right...our battery gets low or old and our car does wonky things. A good place to start.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the fast replies. I?ll be sure to put a load test on the battery next time it happens.

One caveat to the situation; when I uninstall my COBB AP I haven?t had it happen again. Anyone have similar issues with the AP?

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
Thanks for the fast replies. I?ll be sure to put a load test on the battery next time it happens.

One caveat to the situation; when I uninstall my COBB AP I haven?t had it happen again. Anyone have similar issues with the AP?
Crazy stuff will happen while you flash/reflash a tune. Have you done a firmware update on the COBB site?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I did a firmware update. I know that the warnings go crazy DURING a flash/re-flash. I?ve had these issues on Cobb OTS tunes at all stages as well as Stratified 93 and e30 tunes. Sometimes it goes for days with no issues and I think it has ?fixed itself?, but then it will happen again. Trying to see if I can duplicate it with AP uninstalled, but so far nothing. I?m trying to stop as often as possible to get more key cycles, because it only acts up on starting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: 2 days with OBD connector disconnected, no issues. One day with AP uninstalled, second day with stratified 93 flash tune. Fingers crossed. Maybe it was a bad OBD cable.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mi e did just this and my BCM was bad. Not saying that's the issue, but the ford tech could not figure it out they had to go to a ford engineer. I couldn't get my tune out because I couldn't communicate with the car and my Cobb AP.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mi e did just this and my BCM was bad. Not saying that's the issue, but the ford tech could not figure it out they had to go to a ford engineer. I couldn't get my tune out because I couldn't communicate with the car and my Cobb AP.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Was it covered under warranty? And what year is yours?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts