Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm not sure why, but the sound in my '17 ST is horrible. Broadcast, MP3, Blue Tooth, doesn't matter, the sound is flat. I can't put my finger on what's wrong with the sound, but it's like the speakers are out of phase or something.

Am I the only one experiencing this?

·
Banned
3,029 Posts
the main problem is the crap speakers used by ford.

stage one: replace all speakers with quality set. PM me for advise if you would like.

Stage two: Add audiocontrol LC6i or LC7i, 5 channel amp

Stage three: add a subwoofer

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the main problem is the crap speakers used by ford.

stage one: replace all speakers with quality set. PM me for advise if you would like.

Stage two: Add audiocontrol LC6i or LC7i, 5 channel amp

Stage three: add a subwoofer
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm curious if anyone has analyzed the output signal.

Replacing the speakers isn't going to fix the built-in DSP attenuation that stock head-unit has, and I certainly don't want to amplify a bad signal.

The sound in my Fiesta wasn't this bad; it was actually pretty good.

I rented a Focus SE a couple of years ago, and I certainly don't remember the sound being this bad. That makes me curious if it's just my car, or something with the 15+ models.

I'm pretty happy with the Sync functionality, and want to retain it, so I'm not looking to change the head-unit, not yet anyway.

·
Banned
3,029 Posts
no it wont fix the dsp... but it will make the audio Very much more pleasing.
I have done 6 different fords now and the radio always sounds tons better after doing the speakers and then even better when you finish the full system.
I will never change any factory headunits ever again.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm curious if anyone has analyzed the output signal.

Replacing the speakers isn't going to fix the built-in DSP attenuation that stock head-unit has, and I certainly don't want to amplify a bad signal.

The sound in my Fiesta wasn't this bad; it was actually pretty good.

I rented a Focus SE a couple of years ago, and I certainly don't remember the sound being this bad. That makes me curious if it's just my car, or something with the 15+ models.

I'm pretty happy with the Sync functionality, and want to retain it, so I'm not looking to change the head-unit, not yet anyway.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
the base system is crap from end to end.

the speakers are the worse part of it. no matter what you do, its not going to sound decent until they are replaced.

the OEM head unit ain't no peach either, its much worse than the base audio systems in either the escape or focus platforms. yes all the new ford systems will heavily mess with the audio, mostly to protect the super crappy speakers they switched over to using. for the most part, the radio doesn't really start to mess with the audio signal until higher in the volume range. the bass roll off is the worse part of it. adding an amp will make a huge difference because you can have it set up to where it really sending a good amount of power with out having to turn the radio up too far and keep the signal closer to normal. a good amp interface like the AudioControl units that has a bass restoration circuit that only starts to add bass at the point the factory radio starts to pull it. even just a high level in basic mini amp like Alpines's Power Pack makes a huge difference.

if you are really serious, you can get near infinite tuning buy adding a stand alone DSP (or one built in to the amp), but you still will have the problem from above that a lot of DSPs wont adapt depending the volume level and you will want to set it up so that you're not having to crank the volume level up too far.

if you really think you have a wire than may have been pinned backwards in one of the harnesses (while extremely rare, it could be possible), the easiest way to find out for sure would be to call around all of the local audio shops and find one that has a polarity tester, since the test is super quick and easy, they should be able to test it for you and maybe only charge you for something like a 1/4 hour of shop time (cause the test really shouldn't take that long).

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm with you. I have a '16 ST1 (no MFT) and the sound is just awful. I've considered trying to upgrade the headunit to the ST2 or ST3 headunit seeing as it would retain the steering wheel controls and such, but that would also require a lot of dash work, not to mention the MFT system receives plenty of its own complaints. I can't help but think, however, anything would be an improvement.

·
Banned
3,029 Posts
I will give you my opinion based on what i have owned. I had a 2012 Focus S sedan. thing was so base, it didn't even have cruise control and had roll up windows. after adding the LC2i and door speakers along with a 5ch amp the sound was plenty good unless you are an audiophile. I would upgrade everything else first. then if you are not happy you can change the head unit at the end.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will give you my opinion based on what i have owned. I had a 2012 Focus S sedan. thing was so base, it didn't even have cruise control and had roll up windows. after adding the LC2i and door speakers along with a 5ch amp the sound was plenty good unless you are an audiophile. I would upgrade everything else first. then if you are not happy you can change the head unit at the end.
Thank you for sharing your opinion and experience, but I'm not sure that it is apples to apples. My 2012 Fiesta S was also the base model, and it had pretty good sound, much better than this car.

The sound in this car is just OFF, but, like I said, I'm not sure what it is. I haven't found a good car audio shop out here, but a little pink noise and a RTA will tell the real story.

It's not that I don't know how to make the audio sound good, I just didn't think that the sound was going to be so bad that I was going to want to.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 2017 ST1. I recently added 2 set of components and the JL stealth box with an JL RD500/1 amp. The stereo is MUCH better

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2015 ST1 and dont think the sound is that bad. I bought it used but as far as i can tell the speakers are stock. Im usually pretty picky with sound. I replaced the whole system in my 08 Taurus SEL because of crappy sound quality but havent been tempted in this car really.

Maybe something is wrong with yours?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts