Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember reading on here that some people recommend 1k miles and some recommend normal oil change intervals. I don't have access to the owner's manual currently so not sure if it says in there or not.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I remember reading on here that some people recommend 1k miles and some recommend normal oil change intervals. I don't have access to the owner's manual currently so not sure if it says in there or not.
Automakers put the owners manual online too. The 2017 Focus manual can be found here: https://owner.ford.com/tools/accoun...017&make=Ford&model=Focus&currentVehicle=true. Don't forget the ST supplement in addition to the basic Focus manual.

Ford does not recommend a break in oil change. The car has an oil life monitor system that calculates when to change it based upon your particular usage. The first oil change is when the monitor calls for it. Ford says it may range from 3K to 10K miles, with typical consumer usage falling in the range of 7.5K-10K. I suggest reading pages 409-413 of the Focus owners manual (not the ST supplement).

I service my car when the oil monitor says remaining life is 20%. So a bit more conservative than Ford, but still taking advantage of the flexible service intervals. On the 2014 I can run a vehicle health report and receive an email from Ford with the remaining oil life. Not sure how you access it on the 2017.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My dealer told me not to bring my '17 in until 7,500miles for its first oil change. I thought this was strange, did some research and apparently not. I did the first oil change myself just about the 3K mark. Oil looked fine.

·
Registered
825 Posts
This has been discussed a LOT.
But everyone loves another oil thread,so here goes...
Lots of folks like to do a 1,000 mile oil cange on a new car.
I did for the last three new cars I have owned.

IS it needed??? HAH HAH HA Hah ha,,,,,
Does it make the owner 'feel good'?

For my own MK3 experience, both with a SE, and with a ST.. Changing at 4K the oil is still decent. 5K it is looking not so good.
And IMO the best additives for mpg wear out at 3K anyway.. At least with Mobil 1 in my experience.
(Naturally the eyeball test is useless, and only a real analysis can tell.. But my eyeballs like to make judgements)

Now to also be asked is: "Should/can I switch to full synthetic at 1,000 miles?". "At 3,000 miles?"
Then what brand of oil. and what brand of filter?

Like myself, endless numbers of folks love to dish about oil. So maybe, if we are lucky, this thread can also reach 100 pages.. just wait.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
My experience with car forums there is 3 hot topics... oil, intakes and spark plugs...

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I changed mine at 2k to Mobil 5-30.
Do what you want, changing the oil early hurts nothing but your wallet.

·
Registered
2016 Kona Blue ST3
526 Posts
Break in oil change isn't necessary, but some folks like to do it anyways for various reasons. I changed mine at ~2k to switch to Castrol full synthetic (factory oil is a synthetic blend).

Note that the 2016 doesn't have the vehicle health monitor feature, and the 2017 likely doesn't either. So you can either wait for the car to tell you to change the oil, or determine your own interval based on third party oil sample tests or your own judgement. I personally change mine around 7.5k. Anything less than 5k is just wasting time and money, even a synthetic blend should last at least that long.

·
Registered
73 Posts
When I worked at BMW the regular non performance vehicles had their first oil change at 5k miles. But on the m series or any car with a turbo we would change it at 1200 miles. Did it say that it the owners manual? No but I learned a performance vehicle has more engine wear than normal and oil must be changed by 2k miles for the first change. I changed mine at 1k then 2500, then 4500. It doesn't say that in the owners manual because it's for all focuses.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
for me personally, I would change the oil the first time extremely short. probably at 1k miles at the most. its just good cheap insurance. fresh built motors have to wear in a little, and getting all of that material out as soon as possible will only help to increase the life span of the motor. Chevy had a huge problem with brand new Z06's blowing engines (not talking about the C6 valve problems) because of this wear material and change their policy to change the oil for the first time after only 500 miles. while this problem was specific to the LT4 (Z06), dealers have also been recommending doing it for all new Vettes (including Z51s and Z15s)

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Ha ha! heated topic! I change it when the car tells me to. I did this with my Honda as well and at 170k miles it was still going strong.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'll post just cause I'm in the mood to post, LOL!

I did my first at 1,000 in part because I feel there's value added, but mainly so I can just get acquainted with the car and get my brand in there. But I did want to say this about oil life monitors. Their value is minimal. They do not conduct an oil analysis. They use a model based upon various inputs (speed, rpm, temps, time in certain drive conditions, etc, etc) to conclude an oil change interval. The problem is this model has no clue what type of oil you're using. Thus it'll make the same change interval recommendation wither you're using the best Amsoil money can buy or the cheapest drug store brand you can buy. Clearly there's a difference. A real oil analysis is the only way to go. Haters have to hate, but I will tell you my past analysis safely support 9,000 mile oil changes. Don't know how you can argue with fact; it's not cheap insurance or good for your engine if the oil is tested proven to still be good. Thus, I'm going 10K on changes. This is Amsoil 5W30 SSO.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts