Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just purchased a '17 ST and am looking for the basic bolt-on mods to get it to 400-450hp before considering the turbo upgrade with internals and a head. It has 252hp stock. I've looked into the downpipe, exhaust, intake, intercooler, upgraded injectors and fuel pump with a tune. Any suggestions about successful set-ups for this type of gain?

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
U won't get more than 300whp tops with full bolt ons, tune, e85, meth lol. U want that power you need a turbo and supporting mods. Welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Basic bolt ons just turn the car into a torque monster (and I'm fine with that!)

The amount of horsepower you want is going to require big turbo, no getting around that

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Basic bolt ons just turn the car into a torque monster (and I'm fine with that!)

The amount of horsepower you want is going to require big turbo, no getting around that

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
It will require more than just a big turbo lol, big turbo without any support won't even see 375hp.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Welcome! But what everyone said. If you did intake, turbo back exhaust, bigger front mount, and stage 3 map from a reputable vendor, you're not getting close to those numbers. You'd need a BIG turbo and related equipment. If you did full bolt ons to the RS maybe you could get 425whp, but 400whp requires a lot of work and more money than the price difference between an ST and RS

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
As somebody that has worked hard to avoid the "Me 2" bolt-on racket.

Down pipe and water-injection are HIGHLY recommended.

Water injection solves TWO problems with this car: High charge cooler temps and low octane pump gas. While the down pipe uncorks the biggest restriction in the exhaust besides the turbo itself.

Remember nothing is new under the sun, I don't care how many times OE's change things the core challenges remain the same. Improve flow behind the turbo and gains of 20-30 hp are NOT unusual at all, in-fact when tuned for it, quite typical.

You can upgrade the inter-cooler if you want, but it's not as efficient as other choices.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I'm traditionally a muscle car guy so the small engine department is still new to me. I did a little more reading today and would definitely need the turbo upgrade, head and internals to reach my goal. Thanks for all your input!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Every bolt-on imaginable, running aux-fuel and straight E-85 got me to 300HP, 396 lb-ft.
That much torque is too much for a FWD unless you upgrade the trans to LSD. It moves very well! The stock turbo torque curve is suited well for this car, especially at 396.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I mean a big motor would most likely require more than basic bolt ons to double its power output? Lol. But yes welcome

·
Registered
344 Posts
My advice is if you are after even close to 400whp just get a big turbo and if you are able try get everything you need with it at the same time to score as much of a discount as possible. I have done the slow upgrade path of slowly bolting on then just went big turbo. It does cost more overall to slowly upgrade.

Best of luck

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've read over your initial post numerous times, trying to fathom a reasonable explanation and reply to you. I have written and re-written this post numerous times before finally hitting the submit button. There was many time I was thinking of taking the easy route, going on a flame war and bashing and being insulting. Instead I decided to take the difficult road and try to instill some sage-like advice in hopes of changing your perspective and mind. I've tried my best to refrain from profanity and being insulting, being tactful but not condescending. A lot of what I am typing is what I learned in my many years and phases of being a car enthusiast and I hope at the very least, you can understand my reasoning. You may not agree with it and more power to you, but please allow me to try.

First off and foremost, congrats on picking up a '17! I bought my first new car, was a '16 ST. It's an amazing car and I'm happy for you. My first part of advice to you is, since you got it brand new, is to LEAVE IT ALONE. Instead, spend some money going out to Utah and hitting up the Ford Performance "ST Octane Academy". If you think you need that much power, that will be proof in itself that you could have an EXTREMELY capable car with very little modification, if none at all. It's an amazing experience that you not only learn many valuable skills, you learn about the car and it will make you second guess yourself with what you want to do with the car. Even me and my build, has now been influenced by these cars and that event.

Speaking of my "build", here's the link. http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-builds/90857-building-perfect-daily.html

Allow me to paraphrase myself if you will. Keep in mind I am not a professional mechanic, I am not a guru with these cars, I am just another hobbyist and enthusiast who enjoys cars. Here's an excerpt from the first part of my build:

Well it's been almost a year since I've bought the car, and after some very insightful advice from a long time friend of mine (Wait a year until you mod the car). His reasoning behind me not modding the car? Give me ample time to break the car in and make sure there are no factory defects as well as allow me to further grow a bond between myself and the car, get to know the ins and outs, every single detail about the car. One year and 14k miles later, after numerous parts lists, build ideas, temptations to switch to a Subaru or go with an RS, I've stuck with my little white hatchback because she's never done anything to let me down. Wise advice? I'd say so.

Well now I know everything I need to know about the car, everything it can and can't do, every limitation the car may have and I've decided to celebrate my 1 year anniversary of buying the car. Developed a parts list and have a general idea of a build I'd like to do but my problem was figuring out where to start first. The car is a very well rounded and balanced car from the factory. Ample power, plenty of handling ability, decent fuel economy, I never had a single complaint about it at all in my first year of ownership. So where was I going to start?

My goal for the car isn't to chase numbers or to beat a particular car on the street or to set records. This car is my daily and I love everything about it, so my goal is to make the car more or less mine and not one of many mass produced cars. I want to have a smooth, linear powerband with no crazy peaky boost or lag. I want it to be useable power, it's not fun if you can't hook and FWD cars don't look cool spinning all day (sorry not sorry). Ideally I'd like a nice conservative tune, maybe 290 or 300 or so but like I said, numbers mean nothing to me

Hopefully that can provide some insight and help you understand who I am, what my train of thought is and what I'm trying to explain to you.

My advice to you is to mimic the very thing I did for a year, and not touch it. Leave the car alone, get to drive it, break it in, learn it's limits and enjoy it. During this process, you can figure out exactly what you actually want to do with your car and know exactly why you want to do it in the first place.

I pose a question to you. What do you want such crazy high numbers? What are your goals? What are you trying to achieve with the car? If you're doing it just to say "I have 400hp" then you're going to be a very sad man. I've raced a 400hp Evo X on E85 with my car being stock, and he was barely able to pull on me. I knew how to drive the car to maximize my chances success, despite overwhelming odds. I knew I was going to lose. When I maxed out 4th gear it was over, he was gone. But up until then, he was only slowly pulling away from me. He didn't know how to drive the car, he was just some inexperienced guy who decided to jump the gun on his build, go all for broke with mods and power and not actually learn it. Not to mention anything over 300 to the front wheels is a bit of a suicide mission. You're going to suffer torque steer, badly might I add. You're going to have very bad wheel spin AND under steer. Realistically putting that power down and actually being able to use it, it's quite far from reality. Not to mention any of the other supporting mods that need to go with it like suspension, brakes, wheels and tires, anything else that can (and will) go wrong.

I end this post hoping you rethink your original goals. My aim was not to chastise or criticize but to simply share my knowledge and experience with you. Hopefully you at the very least, can see my point. What you decide to do with your money and your car is ultimately up to you and I wish you the best in your endeavors.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ace, I don't know where to start, I'm almost speechless. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to share with me this advice. I've spent 7 years in my 2010 fusion, or my dad car as I like to call it, and just wanted a fun car to drive. The fusion was good to me and still runs great and I donated it to a family in need. I owned a '97 mustang GT and tastefully modified it to approx. 350 hp and it was fun to drive, but getting a new mustang wasn't practical as I still am a dad. I will definitely consider your advice on waiting and enjoy the car, as it is in fact a fun car to drive stock.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ace, I don't know where to start, I'm almost speechless. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to share with me this advice. I've spent 7 years in my 2010 fusion, or my dad car as I like to call it, and just wanted a fun car to drive. The fusion was good to me and still runs great and I donated it to a family in need. I owned a '97 mustang GT and tastefully modified it to approx. 350 hp and it was fun to drive, but getting a new mustang wasn't practical as I still am a dad. I will definitely consider your advice on waiting and enjoy the car, as it is in fact a fun car to drive stock.
Hey man,

Like I said in the original post, my goal wasn't to call you out or insult but rather to have you look at it from a different angle. I'm glad you took the time to read what I said and I'm even more happy that you decided to take my advice. At the end of the day it's your car, your money, your build. Do what you see fit and don't let anybody tell you anything different. But in terms of being a fun daily, you'll be hard pressed to find anything else brand new, on the market today that can compete with the ST for the price point. The whole goal of my build was not to make the car into a racecar, but to be a fun daily driver that can handle the stresses of stop and go traffic but also handle the stresses of me banging gears on highway on ramps and handle me throwing it into a turn 20mph over the posted speed limit. At the end of the day, I want to have a bigger smile on my face than the guy who just dumped 20 grand into his car and I think that's what you're looking for as well.

Good luck to you, I'll keep an eye on the build and see how she comes along! Again, I highly recommend the Octane Academy, it's totally worth it and you will rethink all your goals and priorities.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I've read over your initial post numerous times, trying to fathom a reasonable explanation and reply to you. I have written and re-written this post numerous times before finally hitting the submit button. There was many time I was thinking of taking the easy route, going on a flame war and bashing and being insulting. Instead I decided to take the difficult road and try to instill some sage-like advice in hopes of changing your perspective and mind. I've tried my best to refrain from profanity and being insulting, being tactful but not condescending. A lot of what I am typing is what I learned in my many years and phases of being a car enthusiast and I hope at the very least, you can understand my reasoning. You may not agree with it and more power to you, but please allow me to try.

First off and foremost, congrats on picking up a '17! I bought my first new car, was a '16 ST. It's an amazing car and I'm happy for you. My first part of advice to you is, since you got it brand new, is to LEAVE IT ALONE. Instead, spend some money going out to Utah and hitting up the Ford Performance "ST Octane Academy". If you think you need that much power, that will be proof in itself that you could have an EXTREMELY capable car with very little modification, if none at all. It's an amazing experience that you not only learn many valuable skills, you learn about the car and it will make you second guess yourself with what you want to do with the car. Even me and my build, has now been influenced by these cars and that event.

Speaking of my "build", here's the link. http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-builds/90857-building-perfect-daily.html

Allow me to paraphrase myself if you will. Keep in mind I am not a professional mechanic, I am not a guru with these cars, I am just another hobbyist and enthusiast who enjoys cars. Here's an excerpt from the first part of my build:

Well it's been almost a year since I've bought the car, and after some very insightful advice from a long time friend of mine (Wait a year until you mod the car). His reasoning behind me not modding the car? Give me ample time to break the car in and make sure there are no factory defects as well as allow me to further grow a bond between myself and the car, get to know the ins and outs, every single detail about the car. One year and 14k miles later, after numerous parts lists, build ideas, temptations to switch to a Subaru or go with an RS, I've stuck with my little white hatchback because she's never done anything to let me down. Wise advice? I'd say so.

Well now I know everything I need to know about the car, everything it can and can't do, every limitation the car may have and I've decided to celebrate my 1 year anniversary of buying the car. Developed a parts list and have a general idea of a build I'd like to do but my problem was figuring out where to start first. The car is a very well rounded and balanced car from the factory. Ample power, plenty of handling ability, decent fuel economy, I never had a single complaint about it at all in my first year of ownership. So where was I going to start?

My goal for the car isn't to chase numbers or to beat a particular car on the street or to set records. This car is my daily and I love everything about it, so my goal is to make the car more or less mine and not one of many mass produced cars. I want to have a smooth, linear powerband with no crazy peaky boost or lag. I want it to be useable power, it's not fun if you can't hook and FWD cars don't look cool spinning all day (sorry not sorry). Ideally I'd like a nice conservative tune, maybe 290 or 300 or so but like I said, numbers mean nothing to me

Hopefully that can provide some insight and help you understand who I am, what my train of thought is and what I'm trying to explain to you.

My advice to you is to mimic the very thing I did for a year, and not touch it. Leave the car alone, get to drive it, break it in, learn it's limits and enjoy it. During this process, you can figure out exactly what you actually want to do with your car and know exactly why you want to do it in the first place.

I pose a question to you. What do you want such crazy high numbers? What are your goals? What are you trying to achieve with the car? If you're doing it just to say "I have 400hp" then you're going to be a very sad man. I've raced a 400hp Evo X on E85 with my car being stock, and he was barely able to pull on me. I knew how to drive the car to maximize my chances success, despite overwhelming odds. I knew I was going to lose. When I maxed out 4th gear it was over, he was gone. But up until then, he was only slowly pulling away from me. He didn't know how to drive the car, he was just some inexperienced guy who decided to jump the gun on his build, go all for broke with mods and power and not actually learn it. Not to mention anything over 300 to the front wheels is a bit of a suicide mission. You're going to suffer torque steer, badly might I add. You're going to have very bad wheel spin AND under steer. Realistically putting that power down and actually being able to use it, it's quite far from reality. Not to mention any of the other supporting mods that need to go with it like suspension, brakes, wheels and tires, anything else that can (and will) go wrong.

I end this post hoping you rethink your original goals. My aim was not to chastise or criticize but to simply share my knowledge and experience with you. Hopefully you at the very least, can see my point. What you decide to do with your money and your car is ultimately up to you and I wish you the best in your endeavors.
Really great post here. Wish I could like it a few times. I chose to mod my car when the warranty was ending because I knew at that point it was to the point where I can play and it makes no difference other than in my wallet. If I had bought new, I wouldn't have touched it other than maybe a tune or FMIC. So, that said I agree with the post above in its entirety and if you CAN get to ST Octane Academy then freaking go. I wish I was able, but alas I bought a 2014 and can't get out there regardless. Otherwise, I'd have been there asap. It will show you the (just about) maximum capability of the car, and I GUARANTEE you that maximum capability will be BEYOND your level of driving ability. That is NOT an insult, that is strictly because there is a 99.99% chance you aren't a professional Focus ST driver. It's a badass little car. Congrats on purchase! Take everyone on here's advice with a grain of salt, ultimately it is your car, but you'll learn a lot here.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Tell me more about a water-injection set-up. Is this something you're running as well?
I have a AEM water-methanol injection. My problems with it are install related not the system itself. When it's working I have pretty much the same timing advance as I do with a blended tune (E30/E40) and much cooler charger cooler exit temps, ambient not near it and the outside temp makes little to no difference either.

As I said, it solves two problems of poor premium octane fuel, 93 is better than 91 but they both stink and high stock charger cooler temps. Upgrading the inter-cooler is simple and somewhat effective but you are still at the whims of ambient temperatures. IE if it's 90+ degrees, it outlet temps will be 10-20 degrees + ambient = 100-120 degrees. Better than stock for sure but still not as good as water injection and the other option.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You Sir, know exactly what I'm looking for. I'll learn more about the ST, take things in stride and I'll definitely look into the ST Octane Academy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts