Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2017 ST Supplemental documentation specifies a replacement oil that meets WSS-M2C913-C spec. Unfortunately it does not appear that Mobil (US) makes a current fully synthetic oil that meets this spec. Seeing as my 17 is at its' first oil change interval, I want to make sure that I don't void its' warranty or cause an issue. I prefer to use mobil fully synthetic oils in my vehicles. Figured I'd see what you guys are doing for your cars.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Any full synthetic that is 5W-30 and API SN will work great, it just means they didn't go through the Ford process for that specific certification. The factory fill isn't even a full synthetic, I believe it's a synthetic blend from Castrol and rebranded as Motorcraft?

Either way, I wouldn't worry about it. Mobil1, Pennzoil Platinum, Amsoil, etc., Are all solid choices.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One more quick question, I saw that the manual specifies 5w20 and 5w30. What's the difference in the weights as it applies to this car?

·
Registered
206 Posts
The 5W-20 is for the naturally aspirated engine and is probably in the regular thick manual that came with the car. The 5W-30 weight is for the ST turbo charged engine and should be what is advised in the manual supplement that has all the ST specific information.

Hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Just use a quality 5w-30 synthetic and you'll be fine. I just changed my oil today for the first time ('16 ST1 at 2500 miles). I actually used Motorcraft 5w-30 Synthetic blend, which is actually a good quality oil. I plan to run that for about another 3k before going full synth.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well, one way or the other, 30 oil becomes 10 ih hot lap on a track.
60 becomes 40 on 130degC.

Just a thought of using 10 in a hot engine makes me nervous :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would make a list of all the reasons why you don't know much about oil and why that oil is no good for your engine...but I have a feeling you don't care.
You are right. I had long coversation with one of the top motul engineers, as my job among the other things is engine building. The topoc was viscosity and why new cars use mainly 5w30 and not thicker oils. As I have rs6 which also uses 5w30, as m3 or m4....all very strong engines compared to cc. And only reasons are ecology, ecology and again, ecology. They all can use 5w40, 5w50,10w50, 10w50,10w60....just depends on the driver.

If u want more, please see Bob is the oil guy forum....the amount of valid information is endless and very very useful for everyone that tinkers with

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
You are right. I had long coversation with one of the top motul engineers, as my job among the other things is engine building. The topoc was viscosity and why new cars use mainly 5w30 and not thicker oils. As I have rs6 which also uses 5w30, as m3 or m4....all very strong engines compared to cc. And only reasons are ecology, ecology and again, ecology. They all can use 5w40, 5w50,10w50, 10w50,10w60....just depends on the driver.

If u want more, please see Bob is the oil guy forum....the amount of valid information is endless and very very useful for everyone that tinkers with
Hello new contributor, how about an introduction? Where you're from, what makes you like the ST? And what do you think ecology means?

·
Registered
98 Posts
My friend went to ring with his new RS6. After 2 laps his cams were destroyed. Audi took a log from ecu and made him pay 6000€ for damage and void warranty on engine, because his oil was 4mins over 135degC.

After that we use 10w60 on that car (which should use 5w30 exclusively) and after 110000km and 12 visitis to the Ring...nothing.

So...

·
Registered
32 Posts
My friend went to ring with his new RS6. After 2 laps his cams were destroyed. Audi took a log from ecu and made him pay 6000€ for damage and void warranty on engine, because his oil was 4mins over 135degC.

After that we use 10w60 on that car (which should use 5w30 exclusively) and after 110000km and 12 visitis to the Ring...nothing.

So...
This warrants the need for an upgraded oil cooling system, not a more viscous oil!

·
Registered
206 Posts

So...
This is not relevant to what the OP is asking. The OP did not ask what oil he should run to avoid blowing an engine while driving an RS6 on the Nurburgring, please keep conversation relevant to avoid confusion. It was asked only what engine oil Ford requires for this engine to not void his warranty, so it is not relevant what people are putting in RS6's and M3's on the track. If you'd like to debate oil viscosity, please start a new thread.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts