Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a freind of the family working as a car sales manager in the used car lot of the Ford dealership. He's the one who hooked me up with my ST(brand new) . Well I asked him about putting in a tune and he told me as a manager he said that tunes (according to Ford and as a spokesman) can void warranty claims. Then he told me off the record that he's never seen a warranty denied (at least to his knowledge) because someone bolted on aftermarket parts. He said they are a high volume dealership and its just easier to fix and to get cars in and out then it is trying to prove the part caused damage (to less obvious degrees)especially if you flash it back. He said some dealerships (like the one south of us in the country) that have a low volume will flat out deny powertrain claims if they even sniff that the cars been modded with a tune. Lucky for me the 2017 ST tunes arent out yet (come on Cobb!!!), when when they do I am HAAARRRRDDD PREESSED not to buy one with a Straified tune. I love the car but feel its just under the threshold of producing the kind of power that I want. The things ive heard about how these cars react to just a tune and intake makes it hard not to jump in. I just think of the day that if something goes wrong with the drivetrain and I flash it back to stock will be the day they see that and im stuck with no fix, paying 4,000 for a new motor or tranny... TO TUNE OR NOT TO TUNE!!! ( my car only has 800 miles on it too) =/ Any horror stories that I someone will just say ride it out till the warranty? (I know this subject has been beatean to death but i want personal opinions that relate to a car as new as mine)

·
Registered
350 Posts
If you are really worried about it, you can always go with a FRPP tune and kit or Mountune tune and kit. As long as installed by the dealer they will retain the warranty on drivetrain. But i had my car full bolt ons and e30 tune with about 150 miles on it.. As a ASE tech and ford master tech, if anything drivetrain related came up i can fix it myself and everything i did wouldnt effect warranty claims that would pertain to the body, like power windows/ac/electrical/ and what not

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
The old adage, "You gotta pay to play," is what you should be following. If you're not willing to handle the repercussions, then don't do anything. Pick up a project car instead.
Of course Mountune does have an agreement with Ford to offer some warranty, as well as Ford Racing branded parts.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really ? didnt know that. I knew about the FRPP one but heard it also does next to nothing. Cobb and Stratified people tell me their tunes are super safe and im sure they are, but im worried about say the head cracking (not because of the tune as i really dont race or go to the strip) because of a factory problem (or some other junk that that) and then losing out. Im willing to pay if im romping a tuned car and then blow gasket on my own accord (yea ill play to play on that) its factory defects that theyll blame on a tune im worried about.

·
Registered
979 Posts
What's more important to you Mike, a car that accelerates stronger and runs a 1/4 mile 1/2 a second quicker than stock, or having the peace of mind of knowing you are covered if you have an engine let go?

I based my decision to tune on my finances. Even though the major tuners tunes are safe, once you flash it you risk being denied warranty if you have an engine let go.

I can afford to replace a motor if I have one let go, and I feel like the tune I am running operates in the safe zone, so I went ahead and tuned. Keep in mind even though the tune you run may be operating in the safe zone, anyone can have an injector fail, and burn a piston or break a ring.

If I did not have the funds to replace the motor, and I had just bought the car, I would stay stock until the warranty expires and then tune it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Curious where you heard the FRPP doesn't do anything? It's torque curve is amazing. I was in the same boat as you... Driving a 2015 when the only supported tunes were 2014 and older. Cobb came first and I held off until the dang black Friday sales :p. At that point I said screw it and ordered an AP with OTS from Stratified. It's amazing, no question about it. Amazing.
A few months later and the FRPP came to market. While I don't have regrets... It would certainly of been my route to go FRPP if it was available. (And having not gone Stratified).

Only advice in hindsight I can give.... Get an intercooler! The rest is up to you... But for goodness sake get an intercooler!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Curious where you heard the FRPP doesn't do anything? It's torque curve is amazing. I was in the same boat as you... Driving a 2015 when the only supported tunes were 2014 and older. Cobb came first and I held off until the dang black Friday sales :p. At that point I said screw it and ordered an AP with OTS from Stratified. It's amazing, no question about it. Amazing.
A few months later and the FRPP came to market. While I don't have regrets... It would certainly of been my route to go FRPP if it was available. (And having not gone Stratified).

Only advice in hindsight I can give.... Get an intercooler! The rest is up to you... But for goodness sake get an intercooler!

Threads like these and many like it http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-performance/19434-frpp-tune-lost-20-whp-9.html

Also with a really low powerband with ultra high TQ numbers is the power useable? or is just a bunch of of tire roasting at low RPMs because if i can have that 'high 13 second' put you in your seat" feeling with a 36k warranty then the FRPP w/ inter-cooler is the way im going. I figure if after 40 k miles nothing major has happened then ill go with another aftermarket tune. Also why the FRPP over the Stratified(Other then warranty of course)? You are like one of the only people i heard say this (people are reeling over the strat and unleashed tunes)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Threads like these and many like it http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-performance/19434-frpp-tune-lost-20-whp-9.html

Also with a really low powerband with ultra high TQ numbers is the power useable? or is just a bunch of of tire roasting at low RPMs because if i can have that 'high 13 second' put you in your seat" feeling with a 36k warranty then the FRPP w/ inter-cooler is the way im going. I figure if after 40 k miles nothing major has happened then ill go with another aftermarket tune. Also why the FRPP over the Stratified(Other then warranty of course)? You are like one of the only people i heard say this (people are reeling over the strat and unleashed tunes)
The ONLY reason I would have done it is warranty. The net result of my story is I did say f it and went Stratified, and love it! But would have gone FRPP if it was available to me. (Having never gone Stratified)
For the record... I've put 22k on Stratified tunes so far and loving every moment of it (just hit 25k in the odometer). Was just saying I wouldn't fault yourself for wanting to go the safe route.

·
Registered
289 Posts

Oh and as I mentioned in my first post... Get an intercooler! :)

From the post you mentioned:
______
The stock intercooler is not adequate in handling increased heat due to faster spooling and increased boost pressure (~25 psi) with the tune.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Here's a force of nature acting against you (acting against all of us sometimes)...There's a thing called the Forum Effect. You jump on these forums to get info and what do you see?? You see 80% of the members (and I'm making up all these numbers in my response to prove a point) on here searching for an answer to a problem, complaining about a blown engine or denied warranty. But in reality, the members on here complaining about problems represent about 1/10 of the forum population, and the forum population represents about 1/10 of the Focus ST owner population. Thus the people having true problems is an teaspoon of water in a 5 gallon bucket compared to the number of ST's on the road. Thus you get overwhelmed into feeling like the car is a piece of crap and you're gonna get screwed.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Here's a force of nature acting against you (acting against all of us sometimes)...There's a thing called the Forum Effect. You jump on these forums to get info and what do you see?? You see 80% of the members (and I'm making up all these numbers in my response to prove a point) on here searching for an answer to a problem, complaining about a blown engine or denied warranty. But in reality, the members on here complaining about problems represent about 1/10 of the forum population, and the forum population represents about 1/10 of the Focus ST owner population. Thus the people having true problems is an teaspoon of water in a 5 gallon bucket compared to the number of ST's on the road. Thus you get overwhelmed into feeling like the car is a piece of crap and you're gonna get screwed.
^^^^this... Doesnt matter which car forum you go to, if you just browse through them you would swear every car is a POS. I was looking into a CLA, go to the CLA forum and you would think every car had a bad transmission, my Ex's Malibu wonder any could steer with steering rack issues. There were 20-30 post, but 10's of thousands sold.. And how many times do you get on and make a post

Drove my car today, no problems, will report back tomorrow??

·
Registered
311 Posts
If you are going to be paranoid, maybe modding isn't for you.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
If you are going to be paranoid, maybe modding isn't for you.
^^ This

I bought this car knowing I was going to tune asap. Did not like the overboost function. Maybe it was my driving but I found the acceleration to be inconsistent. Anyway, I have the means to replace anything that breaks, including the engine. So, I'm happily at 15k miles with a tune and no issues.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
^^ This

I bought this car knowing I was going to tune asap. Did not like the ecoboost function. Maybe it was my driving but I found the acceleration to be inconsistent. Anyway, I have the means to replace anything that breaks, including the engine. So, I'm happily at 15k miles with a tune and no issues.
Ecoboost isn't like VTEC, it doesn't have a "function" lol. Ecoboost is the name of the engine given to it by Ford. All their current turbo engines right now they refer to as "ecoboost" because they get "good gas mileage" but are turbo. Unless by "function" you mean the how it behaves then I guess I understand but it isn't much different with a tune just more power

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
My mistake, meant overboost 'feature'. Did not like.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
My mistake, meant overboost 'feature'. Did not like.
In that case, I have to agree. The intentional overboost is rather...odd...I guess that's how I'd explain it. Typically something to avoid but Ford made it a feature for temporary "wow power" lol.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Let's say something happens to your engine after like 5k miles of having it tuned. Can you not flash it back to stock before bringing it in? Also for those who went Stratified, I'm in NC and ordered mine on Tuesday, still says processing. How long does it take to finally ship?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Let's say something happens to your engine after like 5k miles of having it tuned. Can you not flash it back to stock before bringing it in? Also for those who went Stratified, I'm in NC and ordered mine on Tuesday, still says processing. How long does it take to finally ship?

Check your spam folders in the event that it went there. Gmail has done that to me. The turn times that I've seen were typically within 3 business days.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts

You can flash back to stock if you have a problem... dealership cannot tell if you were tuned but can see the number of start cycles and if it is low makes them ask tuned? Now that part I'm not sure about, if you take off both battery cables might reset the start counter...

But as many have said don't mess with it unless your okay with fixing it paying to have it fixed. Probably the safest way to look at it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks for the response, makes sense about the start cycles. Thank goodness I'm in the Car business and have Ford master tech friends who can help me out on stuff like this. I'm out of mfer warranty but I do have an extended 3 year plan, don't want to jinx it lol. Still nothing from Stratified, called and they said unless I get a call everything is good. Ordered last Tuesday

1 - 20 of 20 Posts