Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST3
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like the screen at times has some flicker - like sub 60hz flutter - anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST3
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Happens more often when in "home" mode and the map has a lot of stuff on it - like the screen can't refresh fast enough

·
Registered
56 Posts
Pretty much keep mine exclusively on the home screen and can't say I have ever noticed... or it has not happened frequently enough for me to take note of it.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I notice a flicker in the nav portion of the home screen. Like Toadster said, it's like it can't redraw fast enough.

Glad to see I'm not the only one.

I also see a flicker in the backup display. I attribute that to it trying to adjust exposure/brightness as I back out of the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Happens more often when in "home" mode and the map has a lot of stuff on it - like the screen can't refresh fast enough
I notice a flicker in the nav portion of the home screen. Like Toadster said, it's like it can't redraw fast enough.

Glad to see I'm not the only one.

I also see a flicker in the backup display. I attribute that to it trying to adjust exposure/brightness as I back out of the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Toadster and Skywalker15,

Try performing a reset on the module to fix the flickering. To do so: Select radio > Hold the power button + the right-seek button at the same time for up to 5 seconds.

Keep me in the loop!

Cara

Reactions: Toadster

·
Registered
3 Posts
I noticed the same thing on my 2016 ST3, I unchecked the auto dim function in the display settings. I thought something was wrong as well but now it just changes from day to night mode.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Nice to know I am not crazy, my screen flickers also. It's like it cant decide on a brightness level and it happens randomly, could be full sun light or at night, in my underground or outside. I kept looking for a common link between instances but couldnt find any. I'll try that reset and see if that helps

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST3
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Toadster and Skywalker15,

Try performing a reset on the module to fix the flickering. To do so: Select radio > Hold the power button + the right-seek button at the same time for up to 5 seconds.

Keep me in the loop!

Cara
Thanks Cara!

i did the reset, but also installed Sync 2.2

I'll have to watch it more to see if the flicker went away...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks Cara!

i did the reset, but also installed Sync 2.2

I'll have to watch it more to see if the flicker went away...
:) Have a great weekend!

Cara

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yes I have a brand new st3 2017 when the lights are on and is slightly dimmed you get Flickr

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
Being that you don't have a CRT, it's not a screen refresh issue, however, if it's primarily noticeable when dim, it may be a matter of LED dimming by way of PWM (basically the LEDs are turned on and off very rapidly in order to make them appear dimmer), though that's usually what gives you flickering LEDs on camera and rarely noticeable by eye. If that is the case though, your only real solution would be to turn the brightness up a little higher.

Unless of course it's just a software screen redraw. Does it happen specifically in any one mode (by that I mean SYNC, Android Auto, Apple Car Play) or all modes? I've never noticed it myself. I'm almost always in AA mode. Of course, if I look at my screen now and see a flicker I'm going to be pissed at you guys for making me see it! :D

Update: I did see the auto dimming flicker last night. A little annoying, but worth it for the feature because the auto day/night is worse when it goes back and forth, so I need brightness adjustment on the night theme. Still no map flicker in AA so I'm guessing it's just bad software refresh in the base Sync software.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Being that you don't have a CRT, it's not a screen refresh issue, however, if it's primarily noticeable when dim, it may be a matter of LED dimming by way of PWM (basically the LEDs are turned on and off very rapidly in order to make them appear dimmer), though that's usually what gives you flickering LEDs on camera and rarely noticeable by eye. If that is the case though, your only real solution would be to turn the brightness up a little higher.

Unless of course it's just a software screen redraw. Does it happen specifically in any one mode (by that I mean SYNC, Android Auto, Apple Car Play) or all modes? I've never noticed it myself. I'm almost always in AA mode. Of course, if I look at my screen now and see a flicker I'm going to be pissed at you guys for making me see it! :D

Update: I did see the auto dimming flicker last night. A little annoying, but worth it for the feature because the auto day/night is worse when it goes back and forth, so I need brightness adjustment on the night theme. Still no map flicker in AA so I'm guessing it's just bad software refresh in the base Sync software.
I get this in my 2017 FoST mainly occurs when at night with the dim when it's not full like half. But yeah I heard it's an issue

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts