Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a new clutch and fly wheel put in about 4K miles ago cause the old clutch was shot. Anyway now out of no where I cant shift into third. 1-2 4-5-6 and reverse all work fine, but trying to get into third it grinds and kicks back. Never had an issue like this before and honestly would rather not have to bring it to the shop. Any ideas? Only one I got is its the actual gear, that seems hard for me to believe but who knows.

Any trouble shooting or tips are greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Check for obstructions hanging up the shift lever underneath the airbox.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No obstruction. Can't even get it in third when the car is off. From what i've been reading other people have had the same issue and essentially the 3rd gear in the trans is cooked.... Seems to be a common problem.

Unfortunately i'll probably have to bring it to the dealer, thankfully I bought the extended warranty as I bought it used. Hoping they aren't difficult about covering it.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Another quick little thing to try before testing for more draconian issues is to recalibrate your shifter cables.

Reactions: Noj99

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another quick little thing to try before testing for more draconian issues is to recalibrate your shifter cables.
Appreciate the help, this allowed it into gear more so then before but once I drive it same issue. Looks like ill be driving around 3rd for the next few weeks as I wont have the chance to get it repaired soon

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the plot thickens, 4th is now gone as well so i'm bringing it in on Monday to have it repaired. Thankfully I bought an extended warranty for it as it was used and it should be covered.

Though at 64k I feel like the tranny should not be crapping out. Love the car but very seriously going to consider parting ways with it... In the last 3 months I will have replaced the clutch and the transmission. Granted it was used but I really do not abuse this car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts