Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short story:

Three months ago I went to change my oil on my 2016 ST and noticed some oil coming from the oil pan seam on the passenger side of the engine. Brought it in to the dealer to get fixed and was told that issue was taken care of. I'm posting some pics of the work they did to see if my reactions are accurate to their work. I just took these today as I went to change the oil again.... and it's still leaking.
19k miles

IMG_1570.JPG IMG_2564.JPG

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
That coming from the oil pan or the timing cover? Mine was leaking at the timing cover - ran down the back of the motor and looked like it was coming from the turbo when looking up from under the car. Took it to Ford and they fixed it, now I get small puddles on my oil pan bolts (no crazy oil consumption) but cant tell if its from the oil pan or the timing cover again.. Did they use an actual gasket on the oil pan of our car or is it RTV/gasket sealant like the timing cover.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
That coming from the oil pan or the timing cover? Mine was leaking at the timing cover - ran down the back of the motor and looked like it was coming from the turbo when looking up from under the car. Took it to Ford and they fixed it, now I get small puddles on my oil pan bolts (no crazy oil consumption) but cant tell if its from the oil pan or the timing cover again.. Did they use an actual gasket on the oil pan of our car or is it RTV/gasket sealant like the timing cover.
Timing cover and oil pan both sealed with RTV

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Cheaper to manufacture I guess. First time I pulled a motor apart I was surprised also there is no pan gasket
I guess Ill be asking the dealer to pull my pan and reinstall it next time I go in for an oil change. Thanks for the info. Do you know if it's just standard RTV or a Ford specific product?

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
I guess Ill be asking the dealer to pull my pan and reinstall it next time I go in for an oil change. Thanks for the info. Do you know if it's just standard RTV or a Ford specific product?
Ford has their own RTV but the spec is handled by ultra black and loctite has one also

·
Registered
825 Posts
We may have different thresholds of 'what is a leak'
If "I" saw that tiny bit of oil on one bolt. I would IGNORE it.
Not make it into a major problem.
Since I could not actually KNOW where the oil is coming from anyway.
Now if the oil leak was dripping oil on the ground. Or saturating the under belly shield.. Yeah I would.
But for a tiny drip? Not me.
As for the sealant squirted all over the pan? idiocy.
I would take the pics you have and go ask the service manager WTF that is supposed to actually be?
and say "Do you think Ford would like to know how you solved' the problem?"

·
Registered
651 Posts
Don't wait until your next oil change. Let them know you were checking it out and stumbled across this joke of a "fix". I don't complain very often, but that would be one stern conversation.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm a relative noob when it comes to RTV-Fu... but even I know you don't do that.

Holy Crap.

+1 on taking it back and giving stern talking to...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts