Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have read many threads and I see lots of mixed results. Here is the breakdown on the car I want to purchase.

The car is a 2016 ST3 with 5k miles and everything you can get. Not sure if all the ST3 packages are the same, but this car has NAV, leather recaros, and even a heated steering wheel.

7yr/100k powertrain & 3yr/36k bumper to bumper warranty

The price was $27.7K, but was recently marked down to 25.5K because it's been on the lot for awhile. After tax, title, and tags, and $1,500 negative equity from my current car, I will be paying around $30K after finance. Is this a fair price? What about the actual price of the car?

I KBBd the car at $26.8K fair market value price from a dealership. Should I do it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I paid $27,5ish for mine brand new. If you don't mind the 5,000 miles being on your car not knowing how they were driven then I would so go for it seeing as you're getting it for around the same price as the ST1

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I've seen some people paying 21K -24K. I'm not sure what package they are or miles. Do people pay less than MSRP for these cars? There doesn't seem to be any more wiggle room about price with the dealer.

Seeing as there are only 5k miles, is this a dangerous buy? What do I need to look for as far as problems go?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know in my area ST1s are selling for around sticker and are bought up almost as soon as dropped off. At $25k you're getting one hell of a car. I'd look around and talk to some dealers because the ST3s do tend to sit because not many people want to pay the $5,000 premium. There was a dealer in my area doing $27k ST3s with a 10yr/100k B2B warranty just to get them sold.

As far as the mileage goes I would say not at all however you don't know how it was driven. From what I've heard there is really no break-in period for these cars so you should be more than okay. I'd just check tires or other wear items and look for any signs of abuse. Also while it's probably not the best way to tell, you can check the lifetime MPG avg of the car if you go into your trip 2 settings, provided the previous owner didn't zero it out. If its a number under 24ish then thst would tell you what kind of driving they were doing.

I love mine and I feel like the ST3 package is awesome so if you're wanting an ST and you can get a 3 for not much more I'd do it. The seats are incredible.

·
Registered
151 Posts
So I have read many threads and I see lots of mixed results. Here is the breakdown on the car I want to purchase.

The car is a 2016 ST3 with 5k miles and everything you can get. Not sure if all the ST3 packages are the same, but this car has NAV, leather recaros, and even a heated steering wheel.

7yr/100k powertrain & 3yr/36k bumper to bumper warranty

The price was $27.7K, but was recently marked down to 25.5K because it's been on the lot for awhile. After tax, title, and tags, and $1,500 negative equity from my current car, I will be paying around $30K after finance. Is this a fair price? What about the actual price of the car?

I KBBd the car at $26.8K fair market value price from a dealership. Should I do it?
For 2016 model year:
ST1 (aka pkg 400A) = cloth seats, small LCD screen, halogen headlights.
ST2 (aka pkg 401A) = partial leather Recaro seats, Sony audio, large LCD screen, HID headlights.
ST3 (aka pkg 402A) = full leather Recaro seats (heated, and driver's is powered), heated mirrors, heated steering wheel, Sony audio, large LCD screen, Nav system, HID headlights, adjustable LED interior ambient lighting, CF trim (front door pulls, brake handle, gearshift).

The packages are predefined.
The 401A pkg has MSRP of $2995 and 402A is $4995.

Any version can be ordered with any combination of these options:
Power moonroof ($895)
Premium wheels ($495?)
All-season tires ($30)
Tangerine Scream paint ($595)
Stripes ($195?)

I think Nav System can be added to the ST2 but comes standard on ST3. I'm not 100% certain on that. I've never seen it as a line item on a window sticker.

Mechanically, all 2016 ST1/ST2/ST3 are the same (but the ST1 is lighter).

Is $25.5K a good deal? It might be in your market. Nowhere near the worst I've heard, but not the lowest either. If you like it, need to buy now, and there isn't a better deal in your area, go for it. If you want one a little different, can wait, or want a better deal, keep looking.

I bought JeSTer in March. I missed out (by 30 minutes!) on a used white 2015 ST3 (+moonroof) w/9800 miles for $22.5K and ended up buying a new blue 2016 ST3 (+moonroof) for $25.2K (sticker MSRP was $31.2K). Figures are all before tax & title fees.

You can shop forever and always find a "better" deal, but if you want to be driving it next week you can only shop for so long...

·
Registered
797 Posts
I paid around $30k for my 14 ST3 brand new a couple years ago after all was said and done.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I've seen some people paying 21K -24K. I'm not sure what package they are or miles. Do people pay less than MSRP for these cars? There doesn't seem to be any more wiggle room about price with the dealer.

Seeing as there are only 5k miles, is this a dangerous buy? What do I need to look for as far as problems go?
Any problems with previous years (weak rear motor mounts, wire splicing, etc.) have been ironed out for the 2016 year. The car's vital fluids should be okay, although you might want to push the dealership to change the oil before you buy it, especially if it's been sitting around for a while. As Zach6461 mentioned above look for signs of hard use, but to be honest, we all push our cars hard so it shouldn't come as any surprise if the tires look like they've been pushed a bit. It's pretty hard to damage a new car in 5,000 miles, short of a crash.

As far as the sale, if you're comfortable paying $25.5k then by all means do it. It sounds like it's a fair price for a virtually new car. My 16 ST3 (with the moonroof and premium wheels) was $27.7k before TTL, it had 400 miles on it when I took delivery in March.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
A couple of things here -

Earthbound, yes Navigation can be added to ST2's equipped with the Sony stereo system. Most dealers order ST3's instead of loaded up ST2's. Galpin one of the largest Ford dealers in the country orders majority ST2's and ST1's, almost all of their ST2's have navigation.

$26,687 is the best price I got on a loaded ST3 after $1,500 in rebates (MSRP $31,715). (Koon's Baltimore, matched or beaten by two local dealers)

As I've outlined before, sometimes taking rebates can be more advantageous than cut rate financing. You can also call Ford and get a brochure, this is the 3rd time I have done this and every time Ford has sent me private cash.

It's been upgraded to $750 from the previous $500

My SRT-4 was used but CPO's are fairly rare, there's enough money on the table from Ford to forget trying to locate a loaded used ST3 and frankly dealers order Black and Dark Grey cars so that's what tends to be available used.

Every other dealer that wants to sell me their car can only offer me Shadow Black or Metallic. Unless they offer me a whooper of a deal, I'm sitting in a pretty good position. They can't sweeten the pot much.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the replies, I appreciate all the input from people who have already been through this experience.

The tires look brand new, even up front. They don't look a day old. Not one little rash on the wheels, and nothing on the paint either. Interior looks like it's never been sat in, and it still smells new. I guess you would expect this from a car with only 5K on it.

I'm coming out of a Veloster Turbo, and this feels like a huge upgrade. I'm paying almost 31K after finance, but i'm rolling over $1500 negative equity after a $1000 down payment. I'm honestly in love with this car. I really just want to get out of the Veloster. It's reasonably quick, but rides like ****, has a torsion beam rear suspension, and mods are a pain in the ass. Just HIDs are some off the wall bulb size. This car has everything in it I would want. I think the changing LEDs might be a little much, but it's just an awesome car.

Earthbound - I understand what you mean. I can haggle to the death, but it won't get me into a car. My worst fear is the depreciation driving off the lot. It's a scary thing to think about. I really want to have piece of mind with the car, and I know there is always a better deal to be had out there.

If I buy this car on Tuesday, I will need to pay it off. I would want to keep it for the long haul. I hope it stands the test of time, and I honestly think the deal is fair. I just wish I didn't have negative equity in a fuc*in Veloster, of all cars. I owe the private party book on the car, but no one wants to buy it. SOL on trying to sell so far.

The dealership has records of the inspection of the car, the warranty, and the service that was performed before it was put onto the lot. It had an oil change, and is ready to go. I would just need to clean it really well. After doing some research on reliability, the car is about average... on par with many others, but not stellar. I'm just hoping I don't have problems down the line after paying the thing off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts