Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now that it's dark super early I have noticed that after taking a hard left my drivers side headlight stays over to the left after a turn and returns to center after 3 second or so. After that the headlamps no longer turn until I come to a stop. At that point they do the little dance they do like when you start the car and will work until another hard left is taken.

Has anyone ever seen this? I am at 33k miles and have service scheduled for the 2nd as I am traveling for the holidays. I have estimated my milage and I am pretty sure I will still be under 36k on the 2nd but I am getting worried.

Video of the issue

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
eek, yeah this was my biggest fear for these headlights.

Let us know how it goes. I've seen other people on here get their headlamps replaced for various reasons under warranty.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Huh, I'm interested as to what the fix is. That's one my favorite features of this car. I hope it's something that a little lube will take care of.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I hope it's something that a little lube will take care of.
More than likely it would, however since it's a sealed headlight, you'd have to cut them open to be able to do it. There is a likely hood that the problem could be with the servo itself (based off of the description, probably with the sensor not the motor)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More than likely it would, however since it's a sealed headlight, you'd have to cut them open to be able to do it. There is a likely hood that the problem could be with the servo itself (based off of the description, probably with the sensor not the motor)

I was thinking sensor also. I have service scheduled for the 2nd. I will let everyone know what they say. I am a bit bummed about it as it was one of the things I love most about my car.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
While I really do like the feature, I kinda went in expecting it to be one of the first major failures of the car. Just seems to complicated for a cheaper car. First time I ever seen it on a car, it was my cousin Benze that cost twice as much... I just hope if/when mine do break, they break just facing straight forward.

Also, while it may have to do with the height of the lense, my wife's Escape Ti with static OEM HID projectors seems to do a much better job of lighting up the road. Not only does it seem to project out further, but is has so much more vision in side to side viewing, with her projectors, they don't need to move side to side at all.

·
Super Moderator
1,359 Posts
Now that it's dark super early I have noticed that after taking a hard left my drivers side headlight stays over to the left after a turn and returns to center after 3 second or so. After that the headlamps no longer turn until I come to a stop. At that point they do the little dance they do like when you start the car and will work until another hard left is taken.

Has anyone ever seen this? I am at 33k miles and have service scheduled for the 2nd as I am traveling for the holidays. I have estimated my milage and I am pretty sure I will still be under 36k on the 2nd but I am getting worried.
Get it checked ASAP, like you said. For the interim, I’d leave the headlight dial in the ”headlight on” position, rather than “Auto lamp”. This will keep the headlights fixed straight ahead and they won’t swivel with steering.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Going in for the third trip to the dealer to get the left headlamp replaced tomorrow. First trip they couldn’t reproduce the issue and said they needed to talk to ford. Called me the next morning and asked if I could bring it in. Took it in and in less than an hour they stated the left headlamp was faulty. They are replacing under warranty.

I asked the service advisor how they determined the issue and all she could tell me was that the left tested bad. Would love to know how to place them in a test mode.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Get it checked ASAP, like you said. For the interim, I’d leave the headlight dial in the ”headlight on” position, rather than “Auto lamp”. This will keep the headlights fixed straight ahead and they won’t swivel with steering.
If this is true I am going to be impressed. By both your knowledge & Ford.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Seems like for better or worse you're the only one to provide insight to this issue with the headlights.

Personally I wish the headlights pointed straight ahead. As you know they do not.

I wish at the very least people would document these issues and the possible solutions that might help us deal with them in the future.

As more of us document our issues; there is a greater chance of having Ford correct them in the future.

Thanks,

Brad

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Going in for the third trip to the dealer to get the left headlamp replaced tomorrow. First trip they couldn’t reproduce the issue and said they needed to talk to ford. Called me the next morning and asked if I could bring it in. Took it in and in less than an hour they stated the left headlamp was faulty. They are replacing under warranty.

I asked the service advisor how they determined the issue and all she could tell me was that the left tested bad. Would love to know how to place them in a test mode.
Pretty sure if you google enter test mode ford focus there is a video on youtube. I know because I stumbled upon it accidentally one day.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did search but TBH it was half hearted and I am positive I included ST and I found nothing on the cornering headlight test mode. I know the gauge test mode and the sound system test mode.

Please share with the rest of us your find.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Seems like for better or worse you're the only one to provide insight to this issue with the headlights.

Personally I wish the headlights pointed straight ahead. As you know they do not.

I wish at the very least people would document these issues and the possible solutions that might help us deal with them in the future.

As more of us document our issues; there is a greater chance of having Ford correct them in the future.

Thanks,

Brad
I will keep everyone posted of everything I find out. Trying my best to do so

·
Super Moderator
1,359 Posts
If this is true I am going to be impressed. By both your knowledge & Ford.
I actually discovered this on accident, as I was wondering why my lamps weren’t turning with the steering wheel one night, and just toggled the dial from “on” to “auto” - Lo and behold the HID housings began to turn again with the steering wheel.

Note: I have a 2016 ST2.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They replaced the left headlight today and half way through my drive home it got stuck full left.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
They replaced the left headlight today and half way through my drive home it got stuck full left.
then the only other explanation would be that it is the control device that reads and controls the servos. not sure if that is done by the BCM or if there is a separate headlight control module(possibly the same module that handles stability program since that is where most of the steering angle calculations are ran) but it sounds like that's what they need to reflash or replace next.

·
Registered
2015 ST3, no sunroof, Koenig Oversteers
254 Posts
My 2015 ST3 has this problem with its right headlamp. It swivels to the outside and stays there. Sometimes when coming to a stop it will recenter, and after getting stuck I've never seen it recenter while the car is rolling.

My ST is in the garage for the winter. In the spring it goes to the dealer for an oil leak, a coolant leak, and the headlamp issue. My expectation is to hear "We can't reproduce the headlamp problem." That will not be fun, since the bumper-to-bumper warranty ends after May 30th.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My 2015 ST3 has this problem with its right headlamp. It swivels to the outside and stays there. Sometimes when coming to a stop it will recenter, and after getting stuck I've never seen it recenter while the car is rolling.

My ST is in the garage for the winter. In the spring it goes to the dealer for an oil leak, a coolant leak, and the headlamp issue. My expectation is to hear "We can't reproduce the headlamp problem." That will not be fun, since the bumper-to-bumper warranty ends after May 30th.
My dealer has been nothing short of fantastic on this. They have kept me posted on what they are replacing and although they have not yet fixed it I am pretty sure they will. I have a video now to show them. I suggest you do the same.

I have not had any leaks however, that sucks man.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts