Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
New owner (about 2 weeks) of a 2016 ST2.
Being an ST2, it's fitted with duel zone auto climate control.

However, I've noticed that when I set it to auto and change the temp, the fan speed doesn't seem to adjust with the temp changes. I didn't think much of it at first but noticed it the other night when it was a pretty chilly 30 degrees outside and when I got in the car to start it and pumped the temp up to 75, the fan speed never increased at all.

Anyone else experience this? In my old Fiesta, it was always obvious when the auto climate was one because the fan speed would inevitably turn itself way up on start ups to get the cabin to the desired temp. Also doesn't it know when to turn A/C on and off depending on the outside temp?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I believe the fan speed is proportional to the air temp. Basically, when it is cold, the fans will be slower until the air is warm enough to blow. I've noticed this while heating the car up. I can tell you that in the reverse case (cooling the car) the fans speed absolutely increases when the compressor is running as the air is already being cooled.

The climate control is smart enough to know when to use the AC but I believe the light for AC will stay on while in "Auto" mode as the car may be constantly blowing cold air now and then to keep the desired temp. It would be annoying and distracting if the AC light continuously blinked on and off when the compressor kicks in.

Page 109 of Owner's Manual (always good to check this first ;) )
IMG_4853.PNG

·
Registered
558 Posts
Coolant temp has to be warm enough for the fan to increase speed, unless you hit Max Defrost. Even then it takes a minute or 2 before blasting. By the time it is warm enough the air temp in the car should be warmer but not cold enough to blast full fan. Mine just slowly warms up, set at 72, then I hear the fan a bit but not full and all vents are blowing. Mine is starting to blow warm and warm the cabin within 5 minutes and it was 25 today with 8 inches of snow. Only blasts on Max though not Auto.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts