Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Too soon. Already at 50,000 miles. Here's my summary.

Mods: (no tune, just superficial/cosmetic)
Floor mats
Yellow film on the fogs
Hood struts (fantastic mod)
Green filter
window tint and visors
Dash cams (2)
Stock speakers replaced
Drivetrain/computer is all stock.

It's a daily driver. Never been to the track or dragstrip. Most of the miles are interstate. I have run it hard several times, but never redlined it, no burnouts or races from a dig. Trying to have fun and not abuse it.

Got the typical battle scars on the nose, rocks and sand peppering the paint.
Broken windshield from the same hazards.

Replaced items:
Tires @ 49K (the original F1s made it that far). New tires are Pirelli P Zero AS. If I read it correctly, this tire was on some STs new from Ford anyway.
Cabin air filter (replaced twice)

Maintenance:
All done myself. I think I'm on my 7th oil change. I'm averaging 7-8K between changes.
I inspect everything every time I change the oil, belt, hoses/charge pipes, fluid levels, brakes, tires, battery voltage, exhaust, I keep all receipts in the manual book. The car has never been to the dealer since I drove it out of the showroom almost 2 years ago.

Problems:
None.

Engine/drivetrain/suspension: No issues. Still sounds and runs like the day it was new. No noises, rattles. No codes, car still handles like it should. No overheating issues.

Paint/body (Kona blue) is holding up well. I keep it waxed. No signs of rust in the places we know about, liftgate (hatch) and the hood, under the doors at the drain holes. No issues. I did discover that the drainholes in the hatch were taped over, resulting in rainwater collecting inside the hatch. I documented and posted that issue here, on New Years Day 2017:

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-discussions/78274-rainwater-liftgate.html

Body panels still aligned, no movement or door sagging issues.

Interior: Good. No rattles even though I've had all the door panels removed for speaker replacement and added a ham radio. I use the moonroof a lot and I've been concerned that I could be wearing out the mechanics up there, so I have dabbed some white lithium grease in some places. So far so good, no leaks. I have noticed the headliner seems to be trying to come loose at the leading edge at the top of the windshield, but that's probably from me running wires under it for a dash cam.

Electrical: No issues. The Sync system gets a bit wonky sometimes when I use my Iphone with it for music, but an Iphone update has fixed that issue twice now. Original battery still holding up. When it starts going down, I may look at replacing it with a AGM battery like an Optima Red, if it fits. Haven't verified that.

The wife smoked the clutch once. I can probably count on one hand how many times I've really been upset w/her in our 20 years of marriage, and that was one. I was livid. Don't F w/my car!

Looking forward to another 50K, hoping all's good when the extended warranty expires. Then I'll start playing around with all the mods I've been wanting to do, though nothing crazy; a tune, get that damn stock exhaust off, maybe a new IC and downpipe, all that good stuff. I'll be at 100K in less than 2 years, so it's not far off. Start saving my pennies now.

And here she sits at work this morning. Needs a bath, again. Absolutely loving this car.

st.jpg

·
Registered
70 Posts
Looks good. That's a lot of miles. I consider myself lucky to only live about 10 miles from work. The bad part is that I can't really get good oil temp to get into any boost in the morning.

I've been thinking about just doing simple stuff like a symposer delete and maybe an RS airbox (for the sound). As you stated, the warranty is always on my mind.

·
Registered
558 Posts
How did your wife manage to smoke the clutch? Mine did so trying (and succeeding) in starting out in 3rd. . Our son ratted her out. ~12k later and no apparent side effects. Of course I was hot - do not understand why she kept trying. She drove a stick for about 12 years but traded it on an automatic about 5 years ago.

I’m strongly considering putting an LSD in and guess I’ll get a look at the state of the clutch at that point.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How did your wife manage to smoke the clutch? Mine did so trying (and succeeding) in starting out in 3rd. . Our son ratted her out. ~12k later and no apparent side effects. Of course I was hot - do not understand why she kept trying. She drove a stick for about 12 years but traded it on an automatic about 5 years ago.

I’m strongly considering putting an LSD in and guess I’ll get a look at the state of the clutch at that point.
Same thing. She knows how to drive a manual. It was in 3rd. Stalled it twice. She got aggravated and revved it while slowly letting the clutch out. That's when I told her to get out of my car. By then, I saw smoke. Couldn't tell if it was coming from the car or me.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Too soon. Already at 50,000 miles. Here's my summary.
My good man, I have a 2016 ST2 in Kona blue, but I'm 20k miles behind you. Unlike you I have modded the **** out of it and I also have not experienced any issues thankfully. I am loving it, and glad you are too!

Living in MI, I'm coming up on my second winter and I still use it as a daily. Just slapped on my winter wheels this week and I actually can't wait for the snow, it's fun! I'm glad I use it all year round. Super practical, no complaints.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Glad to see you have no issues. As a F1/Pirelli AS Owner you will notice that the A/S tires are much more compliant than the F1s are, but that razor sharp response is also lost. The A/S handle lower temps much better than the F1s do, and are considerably quieter. But for a rational DD, you will like the Pirelli's also I find them to give the best return on feel, wear, and economy running them 39/35 psi. (Dunno if you were looking for that kind of info or not)

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST2
789 Posts
How bout brake condition?
I think I should make a 40k miles update thread. I redline mayybe once or twice a day and slide it on every corner which means hard braking. Took it in for service the guy was like there is 7mm left. I was not expecting that! After 3 sets of front tires specially.
but now I just take it easy since I ran out of warranty.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought my 16 ST3 last year in April and am pushing 42,000 miles. No problems here but I have noticed a rattle under the hood when getting into mild boost. Anybody else have this issue?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Nice write up. I have the identical car but a '17. Have had it almost a month. 300miles so far. I work from home. I'll be lucky to see 4K/yr.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice write up. I have the identical car but a '17. Have had it almost a month. 300miles so far. I work from home. I'll be lucky to see 4K/yr.
Hopefully you have a garage to keep it in, the elements are tough on cars, even when they're parked most of the time. I don't have that luxury, so I have to keep it clean and waxed.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought my 16 ST3 last year in April and am pushing 42,000 miles. No problems here but I have noticed a rattle under the hood when getting into mild boost. Anybody else have this issue?
Wonder if it's something as benign as the engine cover not completely snapped down? Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'll have mine for a long time. I havn't even turned 12K in my 2015 yet. I am putting about 5500 miles a year on it. Glad to hear that I have plenty of years to go at the rate I am using it. I keep telling my 9 year old that it will be her first car. Probably less then 50K miles by then.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts