Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as I know you can only update via a 32gb usb stick (does it really need to be this big?) or wifi. I live in a condo so when my vehicle is parked it picks up no wifi... is there a way to force the update when I am parked at a friends place and leeching their wifi? I dont really feel like buying a 32gb stick just for the upgrade.

·
Registered
35 Posts
As far as I know you can only update via a 32gb usb stick (does it really need to be this big?) or wifi. I live in a condo so when my vehicle is parked it picks up no wifi... is there a way to force the update when I am parked at a friends place and leeching their wifi? I dont really feel like buying a 32gb stick just for the upgrade.
The files I used were 2-3GB at biggest. You should be fine with a 4GB thumb drive, just be sure to format it with a windows machine as when I formatted one with a Mac the car did not pick it up...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The files I used were 2-3GB at biggest. You should be fine with a 4GB thumb drive, just be sure to format it with a windows machine as when I formatted one with a Mac the car did not pick it up...
Thanks, 32gb seemed extremely excessive, but wasnt sure if it maybe made some sort of backup as well.

·
Registered
696 Posts
When you format a thumb drive on a Mac to work with your car, format to ExFAT & set the "scheme" to Master Boot Record. I use the standard Disk Utility that comes with the Mac to do this.

Btw, you can't also use this method to move files between a Mac and a Windows machine.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Alright. It didn't work. I even tried to format my USB drive with a windows machine.

Downloaded the update directly from the Ford website using my VIN and all that.

I want to say the download was 2.2GB. (I'm not at home right now.)

I got two messages.
This one first:
IMG_7615.JPG
Then this one when I removed the thumb drive to try different things when nothing else happened:
IMG_7616.JPG

·
Registered
35 Posts
I swear I read people using a 4GB thumb drive... I guess go bigger, I used a 16GB thumb drive but that's because it's what I had handy...but I swear I read on other sites that all you really needed was 4GB... guess that information is incorrect.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I used a 16GB and it worked.

Reactions: bamapepito009

·
Registered
696 Posts
To add to the fun, I got this when I turned the car back on from a run to the store just now.
IMG_7665.JPG

·
Registered
35 Posts
This means you will need to update the USB hub in your car to use Apple CarPlay... early 2016 models had the old USB hubs that lacked the chip needed to make carplay work. You can close that and use Android Auto but carplay won't work and the error will come back from time to time until you upgrade the media hub.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I bought and installed the upgraded USB hub. Are you saying that I have to put the old hub in before I do the software update?

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
I swear I read people using a 4GB thumb drive... I guess go bigger, I used a 16GB thumb drive but that's because it's what I had handy...but I swear I read on other sites that all you really needed was 4GB... guess that information is incorrect.
Ford Recommended a 32 gb drive, but a 16 gb or more should have been sufficient, it's zipped up as 2.2 gb, but during the installation it takes more space during the install.

If updating software using the Ford or Lincoln owner sites or if using PTS a USB flash drive
with a minimum storage size of 32 gigabytes (GB) with exFAT formatting is required.
On non-navigation vehicles when asked for ‘Automatic Software Update’ setup respond with
‘Ask Me Later’. Wait for the 2nd ‘Installation Complete’ pop-up to appear before removing the
USB Flash Drive.
Once v2.2 software update is completely installed the ignition key must be turned off for 5
minutes which is critical for a successful installation.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought and installed the upgraded USB hub. Are you saying that I have to put the old hub in before I do the software update?
This one I can't be sure of... does it recognize and attempt the update with the new hub? If it does, then a 16GB thumb drive should get you taken care of. I know the new hub works fine with Sync 3 v2.2

·
Registered
696 Posts
This one I can't be sure of... does it recognize and attempt the update with the new hub? If it does, then a 16GB thumb drive should get you taken care of. I know the new hub works fine with Sync 3 v2.2
I had been playing music from my phone via the USB port for two days before this message showed up. I'm away from home for the weekend, but plan on trying again when I get back.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Just tried again with the same results.

The ONLY thing I can think of, is that I am trying to go from v1.0 directly to v2.2. Could this be my issue? If so, where can I get previous versions?

·
Registered
696 Posts
I read up on this a little bit more and found out that the Sync software doesn't like the way that Mac's natively unzip things. My Mac uses the Archive Utility by default, but I had The Unarchiver (it's free: https://theunarchiver.com/) from a previous need. (Probably for work.) This program unzipped the files in a way that the car liked. All I had to was move the contents from the folder that The Unarchiver created on my desktop over to my USB drive.

I went through the normal update procedure from there, and drove to the grocery store while my car updated. It was done updating before I got there, so when I came back after shopping, I was stoked to see that worked like a charm! FINALLY!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts