Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just replaced the engine in my 2016 ST. The new engine was a long block from Ford.

Since replacing, I have noticed my coolant reservoir level dropping daily. If I drive around easy without boosting more than, let’s say, 10psi, the level stays about the same. It’s only when I really get into the throttle and boost 15psi plus that I see a significant drop.

By significant drop I’m talking roughly 8oz. of coolant. Over the course of 25 miles.

No visual leaks, no misfires on AP, car runs like a dream, temps good, no white smoke or residue, oil looks nice and new.

What, if any, is the best way to go about troubleshooting this issue?

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
582 Posts
Hello all,

I just replaced the engine in my 2016 ST. The new engine was a long block from Ford.

Since replacing, I have noticed my coolant reservoir level dropping daily. If I drive around easy without boosting more than, let’s say, 10psi, the level stays about the same. It’s only when I really get into the throttle and boost 15psi plus that I see a significant drop.

By significant drop I’m talking roughly 8oz. of coolant. Over the course of 25 miles.

No visual leaks, no misfires on AP, car runs like a dream, temps good, no white smoke or residue, oil looks nice and new.

What, if any, is the best way to go about troubleshooting this issue?
If there is not issues. It could be some air pockets in the cooling system. How much had you added so far? It should stop as the air pockets get filled.

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
582 Posts

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, GFB DVX+ BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings, PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
2,132 Posts
How many miles, what mods?
What preceded the motor replacement?
Original turbo, hoses, and other parts?
How much coolant added in TOTAL?

Compression test to verify OK, follow with coolant pressure test when cold to find leaks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How many miles, what mods?
What preceded the motor replacement?
Original turbo, hoses, and other parts?
How much coolant added in TOTAL?

Compression test to verify OK, follow with coolant pressure test when cold to find leaks.
47,000 miles on body, 1,000 miles on motor.

Engine mods: Catless downpipe, Intercooler, Oil catch can, CAI, AP, Panda Motorworks 93 dyno tune.

LSPI event blew piston 2. Scarred block.

New from Ford Turbo replaced with engine. Hoses all original.

I was not present for initial coolant fill up. Car was driven 1,000 miles since initial fill up. Has used 2/3 Gal.

·
Administrator
13,733 Posts
47,000 miles on body, 1,000 miles on motor.

Engine mods: Catless downpipe, Intercooler, Oil catch can, CAI, AP, Panda Motorworks 93 dyno tune.

LSPI event blew piston 2. Scarred block.

New from Ford Turbo replaced with engine. Hoses all original.

I was not present for initial coolant fill up. Car was driven 1,000 miles since initial fill up. Has used 2/3 Gal.
You're not running that Panda tune on this motor right?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
3,092 Posts
Use a coolant vacuum tool to refill the system. You can rent them in some locations but can be found for less than $100 online.

Throwing a pressure tester on it to look for viable leaks will also help determine where source of the leak my be coming from.

J

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
582 Posts
Too much as in we now have a problem or too much as in I shouldn’t have added that much?
Too much added unless improperly filled. Sometimes, cold non running engine only fill up the radiator. In your case probably the heater core was empty too.

Reactions: MtnMan

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're not running that Panda tune on this motor right?
Not only am I running it, I also may have placed a sweet panda tuned decal on the windshield…. Buuuttt I have been reading forums looking for a better tuner. I’ve seen a lot of opinions, namely yours on FreekTune. It’s like looking for the best way to make rice. A million different options that work for some but don’t for others. I definitely am looking for another though.

·
Administrator
13,733 Posts
Not only am I running it, I also may have placed a sweet panda tuned decal on the windshield…. Buuuttt I have been reading forums looking for a better tuner. I’ve seen a lot of opinions, namely yours on FreekTune. It’s like looking for the best way to make rice. A million different options that work for some but don’t for others. I definitely am looking for another though.
That tune was tailored to your previous motor. Not this one, correct?

If so, you are playing a dangerous game.

I've seen it many times. Motor goes pop, new motor, same tune, motor goes pop.

Not to rag on Panda, but literally seen this scenario with one of their customers in the past.

Also, Freektune's turnarounds are slow. JST or Monster tuned are much more responsive.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
What are your operating temps? Do you have a OBDII scanner that allows you to monitor live data?

If the temps are high then it seems to suggest air pockets in the system that need to be bled out. When they’re bled out, coolant will need to be added to fill the list volume.

You may be “adding coolant” now as the air pockets are moving around in the enclosed system.

You could be not losing coolant just seeing the coolant shifting around. If that makes sense??

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That tune was tailored to your previous motor. Not this one, correct?

If so, you are playing a dangerous game.

I've seen it many times. Motor goes pop, new motor, same tune, motor goes pop.

Not to rag on Panda, but literally seen this scenario with one of their customers in the past.

Also, Freektune's turnarounds are slow. JST or Monster tuned are much more responsive.
I was not aware that would be an issue but I will most definitely note that.

I’m guessing any minor changes i.e. compression ratio differences between the two?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What are your operating temps? Do you have a OBDII scanner that allows you to monitor live data?

If the temps are high then it seems to suggest air pockets in the system that need to be bled out. When they’re bled out, coolant will need to be added to fill the list volume.

You may be “adding coolant” now as the air pockets are moving around in the enclosed system.

You could be not losing coolant just seeing the coolant shifting around. If that makes sense??
All,

I stumbled upon the leak. Right hand heater core hose is leaking at the connection point on the firewall. The coolant that was leaking was being caught by the subframe…. Also, the materials near the firewall made it nearly impossible to notice a leak. Will be swapping hose when parts arrive. Thank you for the help.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Ford Focus ST1 with a 2867 gen 2
1,646 Posts
I second the motion to get a different tuner. I'm tuned with JST and he gave me a great, conservative tune, that still makes good power and is a ton of fun to drive. Several others are tuned by Monstertuned and are having a lot of SAFE fun with theirs as well. I think he said last week he's got over 500 cars with his tune on them and hasn't had any popped engines yet.

Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I second the motion to get a different tuner. I'm tuned with JST and he gave me a great, conservative tune, that still makes good power and is a ton of fun to drive. Several others are tuned by Monstertuned and are having a lot of SAFE fun with theirs as well. I think he said last week he's got over 500 cars with his tune on them and hasn't had any popped engines yet.

Just some food for thought.
Looks live I’ve found my tuner then!

·
Administrator
13,733 Posts
All,

I stumbled upon the leak. Right hand heater core hose is leaking at the connection point on the firewall. The coolant that was leaking was being caught by the subframe…. Also, the materials near the firewall made it nearly impossible to notice a leak. Will be swapping hose when parts arrive. Thank you for the help.

Dude!!! Best case scenario! Also very common.

As far as tunes and motors. Compression, fuel injector spray pattern, sensors, lots of variables. Never a good plan to run a custom tune on a diff motor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts