Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2016 ST1
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't heard from the body shop yet, and they are busy, so I'm just nervous whether I'll get my car back or not, hoping someone out there has a better idea than me how bad the damage could be.
20170210_084358.jpg
The car got hit in the driver's side corner upfront, the other driver was turning left blind, the impact was almost entirely in front of the wheels, and deflected my ST into another car waiting to turn off the side street, and hit approximately the same location on the opposite side.
I was going about 35mph, and I'm guessing the other driver's speed was at the highest, 15mph.
All kinds of angry, I haven't even had the car six months.
Any somewhat educated guesses as to totaled/not totaled?
Personally I'm leaning towards not, but I'm honestly pretty nervous about it.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I haven't heard from the body shop yet, and they are busy, so I'm just nervous whether I'll get my car back or not, hoping someone out there has a better idea than me how bad the damage could be.
View attachment 207513
The car got hit in the driver's side corner upfront, the other driver was turning left blind, the impact was almost entirely in front of the wheels, and deflected my ST into another car waiting to turn off the side street, and hit approximately the same location on the opposite side.
I was going about 35mph, and I'm guessing the other driver's speed was at the highest, 15mph.
I had my driver's side fender replaced and it was 1435 (yes, ONE fender) or so dollars. The front bumper is EXPENSIVE, and the hood if I recall is a grand or so too if not more. If nothing else is damaged (suspension, frame, wheels, sensors, crash bar, intercooler, etc) then you might just have an extremely expensive bill laid on that guy's insurance providers desk. If there is more underneath damage then don't be surprised if totaled.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
probably not totalled but I'd be so mad. You're lucky you have an ST1 because the ST2/3 headlight assemblies are like $1500 each.

Reactions: brian60

·
Registered
2016 ST1
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very, very, very angry. Immediately after the collision, before moving my car out of the way, I had a 10 minute conversation with my steering wheel, consisting entirely of four letter words. The guy who hit me looked absolutely terrified of me the entire time.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Depends what state you're in but I'd wager that it's totaled. Sorry man but there's most likely subframe damage if it was a strong enough collision to bounce you into another car. Hopefully, you have gap coverage or are in decent shape with the amount owed vs. what it's worth.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
imo id rather it be totaled. then buy a new one. if it isn't and you owe anything on your now bad Carfax focus. you will be upside down on your loan
If he had a low downpayment then he's already upside down on his loan unless he has GAP insurance though...he has had the car only 6mo. Totalling would leave him having to pay out of pocket for a new one in the event he doesn't have GAP.

·
Registered
334 Posts
As others have said, you may be better off if it is totaled, but to the untrained eye it doesn't look totaled.

GAP is the best **** ever. Get that **** every chance I get and I hope you did too.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
As others have said, you may be better off if it is totaled, but to the untrained eye it doesn't look totaled.

GAP is the best **** ever. Get that **** every chance I get and I hope you did too.
Just today when I made a $5,000 payment to my car did I finally eliminate the gap on my loan and develop equity on my loan lol. Stupid depreciation.

·
Registered
226 Posts
View attachment 207513
I had a similar collision but at 55mph. My car had obvious internal damage and was totaled. I couldnt even talk to the guy that hit me, I knew nothing good could happen. Sucks man but 6 weeks later I bought another ST, hopefully you can too.

edit: all my airbags went off too so that adds to cost

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Damn 5 g's would damn near pay off my car. Jelly.... but not really
Yeah it makes me sad to see 5g go all at once because there's so much I could do with that money...but then I see that my loan is only going to take 35% of the time to pay off that it's drawn out for and I'm like yeah...that's much better lol.

I literally was like hmm...big turbo, custom tune, wheels, PSS tires, AR15...nah let me blow it all on something I won't see until over a year later lol. It hurts man.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yeah it makes me sad to see 5g go all at once because there's so much I could do with that money...but then I see that my loan is only going to take 35% of the time to pay off that it's drawn out for and I'm like yeah...that's much better lol.

I literally was like hmm...big turbo, custom tune, wheels, PSS tires, AR15...nah let me blow it all on something I won't see until over a year later lol. It hurts man.
Look at you being all responsible!

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
This is the second time I've seen a front end collision and airbags didn't deploy. First was mine and I was going a lot faster. Better hope it's totaled. If the body is bent in anyway it'll never be right. Mine taco'ed the unibody so there was no fixing it.

002.jpg

·
Registered
334 Posts

You made the right choice!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Always have enough down to avoid GAP and being underwater.
That's hard some times depending on the timing, some people are also just bad at not spending large amounts of money. Like my reply a few posts ago where I could have bought all kinda of stuff and went with a large payment instead lol.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Always have enough down to avoid GAP and being underwater.
For cars that can hold their resale value well, that's about 20% down payment of the total cash value of the car. For cars that cant hold their resale value that well, that is about 35% and that is a lot of money for someone who is still in school or still has student loan to pay. Just saying.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts