Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a set of 245/40/18 Falken Azenis FK510 to put on my stock wheels. After, the car feels like it’s constantly driving on a wet road. Even after getting heat into the tires, the car feels boaty and like the rear end doesn’t want to follow the front. Any tips? Or did I make a bad choice in tire?

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
3,934 Posts
You bought the wrong size tire, they're 1/2 inch taller and 1/2 inch wider than the stock 235/40/18 tire. Along with that, the sidewall may not be as stiff as the sidewall of the tires you removed. The increased height is just exaggerating the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You bought the wrong size tire, they're 1/2 inch taller and 1/2 inch wider than the stock 235/40/18 tire. Along with that, the sidewall may not be as stiff as the sidewall of the tires you removed. The increased height is just exaggerating the issue.
I knew I was buying a larger tire, didn’t expect it to change the feel of the car that dramatically. Anything I can do to help the issue without replacing the tires?

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
3,934 Posts
You can try to bump up the air pressures and see how it feels but that will overall negatively affect handling as well as increase wear on the center of the tread.

·
Registered
355 Posts
What did your old tires look like? Did you have any alignment issues that you could see by how the old tires wore?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What did your old tires look like? Did you have any alignment issues that you could see by how the old tires wore?
Not that I noticed. The car was aligned 3 months ago after being backed into so shouldn’t be any problem there but maybe i’ll have it checked soon.

·
Registered
444 Posts
New tires are coated with a chemical that protects the rubber during storage, and that coating needs to be gotten rid of before the tires will grip properly. Ride like it's raining for the first couple hundred miles and you'll be fine. I think the coating also helps to keep them from sticking to the mold.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New tires are coated with a chemical that protects the rubber during storage, and that coating needs to be gotten rid of before the tires will grip properly. Ride like it's raining for the first couple hundred miles and you'll be fine. I think the coating also helps to keep them from sticking to the mold.
I see, that could be all it is.

·
Registered
2014 Focus ST ST3.
443 Posts
are the Heights the same if they are both a 40 series tire? 245= width, 40=sidewall height, and from what i read the rims are the same size here.....i may have mis interpreted the post tho lol. im going on 13hrs here at work..

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
The 40 is height of the sidewall as a percentage of the width, so as the tire gets wider, the sidewall gets taller.

·
Registered
2014 Focus ST ST3.
443 Posts
The 40 is height of the sidewall as a percentage of the width, so as the tire gets wider, the sidewall gets taller.
yes, thats exactly my point in regards to the OP and the reply that Turbo Gt gave. thank you for the clarification.

·
Registered
367 Posts
My ST felt terrible in the ass end. It never felt planted. Installed a white line rear sway bar and the TB 4 point gusset bar and it transformed the car. Torque steer is almost gone and so is that weird feeling from the back end.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts