Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 2016 Focus with the 10 speaker Sony system. I have read all the information I can find in these forums and other Focus forums. I have called Crutchfield and went to my local Ford Parts counter and I still don't have an answer.
1) On the Factory Sony amplifier there are 3 connectors, It appears that the top connector, (Closest to the front of the car), is the subwoofer connector and other various wiring. The Middle connector appears to be the (Input) to the factory Sony amplifier from the Sony head unit, and the third connector (the one closest to the back tail lights) seems to be the output wires to all the speakers from the factory Sony amp which has modified sound based on the factory DSP built into the factory Sony amp. AM I CORRECT ? So far no one has confirmed that....

2)What I am trying to accomplish: I am satisfied with the factory Sony speakers but I want more volume. I bought a Sony 4 channel amplifier XM-N1004. I want to leave the factory amp in the car and running, but connect (cut) the output speaker wires as high level inputs to my aftermarket Sony amp which will make the whole system louder. Is the third connector, the one closest to the tail lights the speaker connection (From the output) of the factory amp? I understand that I'll not be amplifying the front door Tweeters, but will be amplifying the rear tweeters.

3) I have read that you need a 10 ohm resister added to put a load on the output of the factory Sony amp so it wont blow up. Do I ?

4) I understand that by using a 4 channel amp I won't be amplifying the front door tweeters as they are on their own output from the Sony factory amplifier. That's ok. They are fine as is.

5) Since the aftermarket Sony amp has high level inputs I do not need a line out convertor. I understand I will be cutting wires not tapping into them...

6) I do not want to add any sound processors etc, just an amp to boost the volume. Keep it simple. I understand about the factory DSP cutting off bass, etc. The factory stereo sounds great but when you want extra volume you are already at MAX... The factory Sony bass and treble controls provide enough adjustment for me.

7) I read another forum where the person said if you're going to do what I'm asking here, you take the middle connector on the factory Sony amp and cut all the wires, that the wires on the connector plugged into the factory Sony amp will be your (input) to your add on amp, and the other end of the cut wires go to the speakers. Is that true or is my assumption that the middle connector is the output from the head unit as "input" to the factory Sony amp, and you would use the third connector (closest to the taillights)? I want the factory dsp modified sound..... I want to retain factory touch screen fader, bass, and treble controls. I do not want to run new speaker wires to the doors and am not installing new crossovers, etc. STOCK...

8) I already added a Sony 10" subwoofer in a cabinet I built connected to a Sony XM-N502 bridged though a cheap LOC connected to the third connector on the factory Sony amp (closest to the taillights) Right rear speaker and it provides plenty of bass when I turn up the volume. It does need a variable crossover though and I'll work on that...

So, that's it, Which connector on the factory Sony Amp is the output of the amplifier running to the speakers? The third one? Do I need a load resister on each (+)? Please be specific as most of the stuff I've read leaves you asking which connector, or what did you do with the rest of the wires, etc....

thanks,
Vladimir

Attachments

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Middle connector is low-level inputs, you are correct. If you tap those you lose volume control, tried that already. The rear connector is the one you need, and you will need a resistor on each channel, in parallel with each one across the + and - wires for each speaker set you cut. Best bet would be to get some passive crossovers added to the front doors and re-wire them just like the rear doors, then you will be amplifying all the tweeters evenly. PM me for more info/help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Middle connector is low-level inputs, you are correct. If you tap those you lose volume control, tried that already. The rear connector is the one you need, and you will need a resistor on each channel, in parallel with each one across the + and - wires for each speaker set you cut. Best bet would be to get some passive crossovers added to the front doors and re-wire them just like the rear doors, then you will be amplifying all the tweeters evenly. PM me for more info/help.

So you're saying I need 8 - 10 ohm Resisters one on each negative speaker wire and one on each positive speaker wire leaving the third factory amp connector before I wire those into the input of my Sony aftermarket amp? Another post showed only 1 resister on the positive wire. Modified wiring diagram by Hoppy shows only 1 resister... Just want to make sure I understand you correctly. thanks.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
No, each of the resistors will act like a speaker. The factory Sony amp needs to 'feel' a speaker on the wire, which is what they accomplish. The resistor needs to be connected across the wires, one end - and one end + for each speaker that is removed. I removed all of mine, so I wired in 9 of them. Center channel I didn't bother with, but I did unplug it as well. Make sense? You can place them across the inputs at the new Sony amp input if you don't have a soldering iron handy, will do fine.I soldered all of mine onto a bread-board from Radio Shack.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Check the sticky in this section about 'MUST READ to avoid damage' , it has a lot of info as well as pictures. I know it is long, but worth it. I lost a couple sets of tweeters and a factory amp along my upgrade journey.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, each of the resistors will act like a speaker. The factory Sony amp needs to 'feel' a speaker on the wire, which is what they accomplish. The resistor needs to be connected across the wires, one end - and one end + for each speaker that is removed. I removed all of mine, so I wired in 9 of them. Center channel I didn't bother with, but I did unplug it as well. Make sense? You can place them across the inputs at the new Sony amp input if you don't have a soldering iron handy, will do fine.I soldered all of mine onto a bread-board from Radio Shack.

Crude diagram, you're saying do this:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Yes, that is how I wired all of the channels coming off of the factory Sony amp, except for the center. The ones I did not use for signals I just wired the resistor onto and left them like that.
IMG_3185.JPG IMG_3186.JPG

My setup. You can see the resistors wired on the bread-board to keep them neat and not bouncing around touching stuff back there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THANK YOU! I really appreciate the help. That's a nice system setup. I guess I'll do this one step at a time, but you got me thinking about a few things. I want to keep this system totally Sony. I was going to replace the front door speakers with Sony XS-GS1621C component speakers and put Sony XS-GS1720S in the rear doors, put all the crossovers in the hatch area, etc, but then I thought, step one, try giving the factory Sony speakers some real power and see how they perform before spending an extra $300.00 on speakers. The 10" Sony sub I installed sounds good, but i know if i had a variable crossover on it, I could make it sound better. I have taken door panels off before, and I really hate tearing apart a new car. I only have 690 miles on it...(summer car). Thanks again...

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I can tell you, after taking my Sony speakers out, they won't handle much power at all! The cones are cheap, and they were rated at something like 40 watts, if I remember right. That is the reason the sound gets limited as you turn the volume knob up, to protect them. I am really tempted to do my system over again once the Rockford DSP comes out that will totally replace the factory amp. I like the way it sounds now, but it is still not audiophile quality. That damn factory amp just messes up the signals inside. Good luck with your installs, and hit me up with any more questions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can tell you, after taking my Sony speakers out, they won't handle much power at all! The cones are cheap, and they were rated at something like 40 watts, if I remember right. That is the reason the sound gets limited as you turn the volume knob up, to protect them. I am really tempted to do my system over again once the Rockford DSP comes out that will totally replace the factory amp. I like the way it sounds now, but it is still not audiophile quality. That damn factory amp just messes up the signals inside. Good luck with your installs, and hit me up with any more questions.

After all this good information you gave me, you mentioned the Rockford unit. I just read up about the upcoming Rockford DSR-1, and I think I might wait to install my 4 channel amp....It sounds like a perfect solution to everything. Combine that with a 4 channel amp, new speakers in the front doors with a normal crossover and retain all factory functions at an affordable price? Sounds too good to be true....

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
My plan is to use that unit with my 5-channel amp and speakers already in place, just replace the factory amp and LOC that I am using now. I apologize if I derailed your plans, that was not my intentions, just to inform you of options. I have always been an audiophile, and the Sony system just did not have it for me. Volume knob stayed at max a lot of the time, and I like to cruise with the windows down and enjoy my sounds still. Once I saw the display tell me 'volume max', I knew it was not going to be long...lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sony XS-GS1621C upgrade

After all this good information you gave me, you mentioned the Rockford unit. I just read up about the upcoming Rockford DSR-1, and I think I might wait to install my 4 channel amp....It sounds like a perfect solution to everything. Combine that with a 4 channel amp, new speakers in the front doors with a normal crossover and retain all factory functions at an affordable price? Sounds too good to be true....
Since this posting, yesterday 5/20/2017 I replaced the factory speakers and tweeters with Sony XS-GS1621C Component speakers, front and back. The crossover on this system has a switch to set the tweeters at 0 db or -3. I left it at 0 and now have to turn the treble almost all the way down. The volume now is LOUDER. I have to still test it while driving, but the sound is crisp, clean, and with the subwoofer i added, It sounds high fidelity. I thought the stock speakers on the Sony premium system would at least say Sony on them somewhere, but no, Just "Made in China"....I mounted the crossovers in the doors. I wired the front doors off the woofer channel and just left the stock tweeter connectors unattached.
I can't believe the difference...
0520171214a.jpg 0520171417b.jpg 0520171417a.jpg 0520171345.jpg 0520171331.jpg

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Yup, stock speakers are actually pretty cheap.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well, crap. I wasn't planning on doing anything to my stock "weenieum" system until I read up on that Rockford dsp. Something to keep an eye on if the harness is truly plug and play. I can finally use all my gear that's been doing nothing since I got this car

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sony XS-GS1621C upgrade

Since this posting, yesterday 5/20/2017 I replaced the factory speakers and tweeters with Sony XS-GS1621C Component speakers, front and back. The crossover on this system has a switch to set the tweeters at 0 db or -3. I left it at 0 and now have to turn the treble almost all the way down. The volume now is LOUDER. I have to still test it while driving, but the sound is crisp, clean, and with the subwoofer i added, It sounds high fidelity. I thought the stock speakers on the Sony premium system would at least say Sony on them somewhere, but no, Just "Made in China"....I mounted the crossovers in the doors. I wired the front doors off the woofer channel and just left the stock tweeter connectors unattached.
I can't believe the difference...
View attachment 241746 View attachment 241786 View attachment 241778 View attachment 241762 View attachment 241754
Did you just replace stock speakers without an after market amp?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Did you just replace stock speakers without an after market amp?
you might be interested in this thread:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts