Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Interestingly enough, I'm the same way with about the same height and weight. The ST1 seats really pinch my tailbone after awhile and I honestly think the Recaros would be more comfortable after sitting in them.
Adding the padding to the bottom to flatten the angle helped me with the tailbone (though the big thing was relieving pressure under my thighs), but these seats really weren't intended for 3-hour commutes. Not that it's just an ST thing, as a lot of car's seats seem to stare into the eyes of Medusa after a few hours, even non-sporty ones. (I really miss the seats in my 1990 Subaru Legacy as I drove cross country in a couple of days and the only thing that was sore were my eyes. I was also a good deal younger then, but the seats were definitely more comfortable.) I also don't like that the minimum seat height is still fairly high, which I guess is a Ford thing. At least I never had an issue with the seat back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Trading someone local who has ST1 seats is definitely the way to go. You'll get a flat cloth seat you can easily fit into, and can get some cash on top of the deal. Win Win.
In my Miata,
You can always have seat heaters added to the cloth seats, even Costco has a service for that. Whether you can get the heaters to work with the factory controls, I dunno. I hemmed and hawed when buying my car as I really wanted the auto climate control more than anything but after so much misery with their products I just could not make myself pay for the Sony stereo (my experience only, I'm sure there's plenty of owners out there who like Sony) that comes with ST2 and 3 so I went ST1. I prefer cloth to leather anyway.
In my Miata to clear the broom stick test for autocrossing, we did a "foam- ectomy". Take the cover off and slice the foam thinner. I wonder if a good upolstery could scale back the bolsters?

·
Registered
612 Posts
In my Miata,

In my Miata to clear the broom stick test for autocrossing, we did a "foam- ectomy". Take the cover off and slice the foam thinner. I wonder if a good upolstery could scale back the bolsters?
I cut about half of the foam from my bolsters on the seat bottom and it's only really noticeable if you're aware of it.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts