Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Just wanted to get a few opinion's on the issue's I feel I have with my ST.
When I picked up the car new, I noticed that the rear hatch was not aligned properly. When I opened the hatch I noticed that the seam sealer at the quarter panel was messy ( if you will).
Upon futher inspection, It would seem the right fender and hood are also out of aligmnent.
Now I have also noticed that the car rocks in a side to side motion at low speeds as well as at normal driving speeds. Just wondering if anyone else has come across these issue's.
Thanks,
Cory

·
Registered
331 Posts
1. Seam sealer painted over right? Mines messy too.. its normal.
2. Panel allignment issues are always an issue with these newer cars. Remember the body flexes a bit as you drive. Warranty should cover that one.
3. Front hood and fender out of allignment... did you use a feeler gauge to measure the panels and see if they are even?
4. Rocking... How is it rocking. That might be a out of balance tire.. not surprising if the car sat on the lot and the tires went out of balance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the response.
Right side is messy, but left side is perfect on the seam sealer ?
The panels are so out of alignment that it is very noticeable to the eye. The post from the roof to the fender also looks like it has lowered 1/2".
As far as rocking, the car to me sways left to right, and I had my dealership look at all the rims and tire's to make sure they were ok.
I am just worried that the car was damaged in production, or on a test drive and was fixed and sold as new as their seems to be so many red flags.
Appreciate your insight. Have a great day.
Cory

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Rocking would be indicative of an out of round tire, especially if it's at low speeds, rather than out of balance. Good luck with this. My service manager didn't know what out of round meant, even after I explained it to him.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank's Roach for the feed back. I will bring the car elsewhere to have the tire's checked again just to make sure.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Check the tire pressure before having an alignment done. Even though we have TMPS, they don't trigger until 29psi, or so the tire can still be low pressure, making it unstable.

·
Registered
355 Posts
If you have summer tires they will flat spot overnight, then the next day when you drive off it feels like you're Fred Flintstone on square tires for a bit. OK, it's not that bad but you know what I mean. :smile:

·
Registered
112 Posts
The first 2016 I looked at had a severely crooked hatch/rear passenger quarter alignment issue, my friend who does panel alignment inspections at the BMW plant here walked up to me and said don't buy this one its crooked. I blasted Ford corporate about it (it nearly turned me away from ST's) and got a very crappy non-response. I in not so polite terms told them they might want to find out what the malfunction is at the factory :rolleyes: and that I wanted to know how and why there quality control would let this happen, they wouldn't commit to a response and just told me that a tech would have to inspect it and find out what the problem was. Friends noticed the same issue in some non st hatches sitting behind them at stop lights, but the 2nd ST I looked at was fine and the Third (and one I bought) was good. So I think its fairly common from the stand point that it shouldn't be this common of an issue but it is. As soon as my friend pointed it out to me (I was talking to the sales guy while they were poking and prodding the car) it was glaringly obvious.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Mirage, thanks for the story regarding how Ford's really doesn't care about it's quality control. My 2013 Ford Focus SE transmission was garbage as well.
Nothing could fix the problem and I did not learn my lesson and purchased another Ford.
What are you going to do when you hope a company like Ford, actually appreciated it's customers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I noticed on mine (2016 Focus ST) the right side hood and fender don't line up and aren't flush like the other side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts