Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have never posted before really and am new to the whole Ford scene. I come from owning Audi's but needed a new car that I can comfortably put 20k+ miles a year on.

So basically, I bought the car new in July of 2016. I was driving 600+ miles a week and averaged about 29-31 mpg. I broke in the engine using variable driving which I believe Ford suggests so seals, and gaskets form correctly. I ususally used either Cumberland farms, Sunoco, or Shell and I would let the car run basically to the light every time before filling up and I would always top it off. I have noticed recently that in lower RPM the car kind of bucks? It reminds me of a bad coil pack but I have had no check engine lights and the car now has 18k miles. I also noticed I now get more like 24-26mpg. I have found that the st from the factory has a pretty bad spark GAP. I also learned about the test mode start up. I tried that the other day and I got a code I believe C073-88 or C088-73. I was able to find that it was related to debris in the fuel system. I am now a little concerned because it looks like the ST has two filters. One in the actual tank and one external.

I plan on replacing the plugs, coils, and external filter within the next week or two. Can anyone suggest the best pre gapped plugs and coils that would be an upgrade over stock? What else could it be? If I bring it to Ford and play stupid, would this be covered under warranty? I would lean towards no because the plugs, and filter are more "maintenance items" then anything.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Nick

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
NEVER top-it-off!!!
What is happening is the fuel evaporator is becoming fouled with fuel. I believe it would need to be replaced.
Good Luck.

PS: the lower MPG's is probably due to winter gas blend.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NEVER top-it-off!!!
What is happening is the fuel evaporator is becoming fouled with fuel. I believe it would need to be replaced.
Good Luck.

PS: the lower MPG's is probably due to winter gas blend.
By chance, do you know the part number or where to buy the replacement from? I am not familiar with it, and get several conflicting parts when I search for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts