Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up everyone. So I have a 2016 focus ST. Currently has 29,5xx miles. Have been bringing to dealer for weeks with issues involving the 4th cylinder misfiring. Car has a borla cat back exhaust, had a Cobb stage 1 accessport and a K&N cold air. The engine apparently is totally shot I ask Ford what exactly is wrong and they just say I need a new engine and I voided warranty. Can anyone please offer any insight or help? Has anyone else experienced similar issues?

·
Registered
825 Posts
The secret sauce is TUNE.
I have to say having a tune is certainly a bad idea on the ST.
Seems all the engine fails from piston #4 are folks with a tune.
My ST is stock, and when my engine suddenly skips a few beats,
I could be annoyed, or grateful for the engine management
stopping holing piston #4 Sadly seems the 'tune' fail on this.
They just let the engine destroy itself.

Personally I would SUE the tune maker for a new engine.
It is clearly the tune fail which caused this, Not Ford.
And I do not blame Ford for refusing to honor the warranty

·
Registered
220 Posts
Being that you have a tune on the car that is not Ford Performance related, then you are SOL on getting it covered under warranty.

·
Registered
917 Posts

Not sure how you can legitimately come to this conclusion when there are most likely thousands of ST's that have been tuned and only a small percentage that have experienced complete engine failures.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Not sure how you can legitimately come to this conclusion when there are most likely thousands of ST's that have been tuned and only a small percentage that have experienced complete engine failures.
By "small percentage of us" I might add that it's less than ONE percent of us. It's highly unlikely that under most circumstances your engine will just fail after getting a tune...or there wouldn't be very many tunes lol

·
Registered
455 Posts

Huh? Sue the tuner? Look they stuck this motor isn a lot more vehicles than just the focus st and tons of them have failed. It sounds like ford is using the tune as an excuse and sueing a tuner isnt going to do squat. When you start modifying a vehicle you do it at your own risk and if you want to keep the warranty intact then use mountune or ford performance..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Huh? Sue the tuner? Look they stuck this motor isn a lot more vehicles than just the focus st and tons of them have failed. It sounds like ford is using the tune as an excuse and sueing a tuner isnt going to do squat. When you start modifying a vehicle you do it at your own risk and if you want to keep the warranty intact then use mountune or ford performance..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah good luck suing Cobb lol you would lose that case before you even hit send on the email to your lawyer.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I wonder if there wasn't a little more going on, from what I understand Cobb OTS stuff is very conservative. In fact I ran Cobb OTS tunes for ~60k without issues.... car had electrical issue but that was not related to the tune and never had a motor issue

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I wonder if there wasn't a little more going on, from what I understand Cobb OTS stuff is very conservative. In fact I ran Cobb OTS tunes for ~60k without issues.... car had electrical issue but that was not related to the tune and never had a motor issue
This is correct, they are extremely conservative so that they can be plug and play on ANY Focus ST.

The only way you can mess the car up using them:

1- Use a 93/91 octane tune and put LOWER than that octane fuel into the car
2- LSPI from careless driving - 6th gear at 2k rpm building boost instead of downshifting for example
3- Your spark plugs are f**ked
4- Your injector(s) failed and caused issues (a bunch of reasons, including simply being a lemon injector)
5- The car is simply a lemon and you tuned it and screwed yourself
6- The tune was corrupt..which is unlikely because he drove it for so long

·
Registered
651 Posts
This thread is full of cringe. You knowingly voided your warranty. When you tune/modify you take this exact risk. Here's the million dollar question: What values were you consistently monitoring on your AP since you installed the tune, if any? Were you watching timing, AFR, OAR, anything?

Reactions: DoubleD

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
This thread is full of cringe. You knowingly voided your warranty. When you tune/modify you take this exact risk. Here's the million dollar question: What values were you consistently monitoring on your AP since you installed the tune, if any? Were you watching timing, AFR, OAR, anything?
I would bet he wasn't. See my last post in this thread

·
Registered
651 Posts
I would bet he wasn't. See my last post in this thread
Right. I just get pissed when I see these threads sometimes. Often it comes down to straight up neglect. I'm not trying to harp on OP here at all, but so many people will fully bolt and tune with no idea how the platform works or what the common issues are, etc. You have to pay attention to fuel, gauges, feel, temps, etc when you modify the platform.

·
Registered
163 Posts
What's up everyone. So I have a 2016 focus ST. Currently has 29,5xx miles. Have been bringing to dealer for weeks with issues involving the 4th cylinder misfiring. Car has a borla cat back exhaust, had a Cobb stage 1 accessport and a K&N cold air. The engine apparently is totally shot I ask Ford what exactly is wrong and they just say I need a new engine and I voided warranty. Can anyone please offer any insight or help? Has anyone else experienced similar issues?
Did you even bother uninstalling your mods or did you just send it into the dealership with everything on it?
If you left everything on, you boned yourself.

Reactions: brian60

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Did you even bother uninstalling your mods or did you just send it into the dealership with everything on it?
If you left everything on, you boned yourself.
Since Ford immediately knew about the tune I would also bet he said oh it blew here ya go Ford, my modded and still tuned car! If you don't uninstall the tune and try to bury it and go back to stock then it's just a low hanging fruit for their warranty dept.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Since Ford immediately knew about the tune I would also bet he said oh it blew here ya go Ford, my modded and still tuned car! If you don't uninstall the tune and try to bury it and go back to stock then it's just a low hanging fruit for their warranty dept.
Seem's that way.
Sorry to the OP. These are mass produced consumer items and failures are inevitable. Sadly, you messed up by sending your modded car to the dealership. If you had taken the time to revert to stock, you may have had better odds.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
First, I personally appreciate everyone's comment. Not that they will solve the problem but it does open a healthy discussion that may help someone. Over the years, it appears that someone will either blow something up either by self inducement, some deserved and some not or a defect. Ultimately someone will bring up a cavalier comment about suing someone.

As product defect litigation and warranty discussions and actions are part of my daily job, one must understand the dynamics before one goes thundering on pounding their chest.

1. If you have an extra 50-1000K laying around, then by all means let your brass bxxxs clang. If not be most prudent in threats as they usually close doors not open them.

2. Do not mod your car unless you can afford a new engine.

3. Most all manufacturers and this applies to vendors on our forum, are ethical, hard working business people who are also enthusiasts. Do your homework on both a part and vendor before you purchase anything. If not shame on you.

4. You would not believe the things that manufacturers hear on claims. I know it is hard to believe but some people in this world are blatant liars, insult your intelligence and think the world rises and sets with them.

5. If you believe you have a valid claim, then act with decorum and address the issue, the minute you threaten or pound your chest you have lost.

6. If you remove mods before filing your claim, trust me, it will come out eventually. I am not saying to not remove them, just be prepared for the eventuality.

7. If you go to a dealer, document your side of the story factually, leave out the part where the dog ate your homework. Present to the dealer a well thought out, detailed point of view. Then before you allow them to file the claim, have them show you what they are filing to make sure your are best represented. Do not accept some cavalier response that you "need a new motor" Have them fully, on paper, define their rationale. Do not allow them to file something you do not agree with. Once that claim is filed and if rejected due to an error on their part, good luck getting it reversed.

8. If you can, start at a mod friendly dealership, preferably where the service department has people who own performance cars. If not try another dealer, nothing says that you have to go to the dealer you bought it from.

9. If you believe your problem is due to a part you bought from one of the vendors the worst thing you can do is pick a fight on the forum. Try acting like an adult and be honest with them and prepare you case. Forum fighting should be the last resort and if you do, make sure you are in the right or you will look like jerk to those on the forum.

To the OP, I feel for you and hindsight is much clearer. You won't be the first or the last and I wish you well in getting this resolved.

·
Registered
163 Posts
First, I personally appreciate everyone's comment. Not that they will solve the problem but it does open a healthy discussion that may help someone. Over the years, it appears that someone will either blow something up either by self inducement, some deserved and some not or a defect. Ultimately someone will bring up a cavalier comment about suing someone.

As product defect litigation and warranty discussions and actions are part of my daily job, one must understand the dynamics before one goes thundering on pounding their chest.

1. If you have an extra 50-1000K laying around, then by all means let your brass bxxxs clang. If not be most prudent in threats as they usually close doors not open them.

3. Most all manufacturers and this applies to vendors on our forum, are ethical, hard working business people who are also enthusiasts. Do your homework on both a part and vendor before you purchase anything. If not shame on you.

4. You would not believe the things that manufacturers hear on claims. I know it is hard to believe but some people in this world are blatant liars, insult your intelligence and think the world rises and sets with them.

5. If you believe you have a valid claim, then act with decorum and address the issue, the minute you threaten or pound your chest you have lost.

6. If you remove mods before filing your claim, trust me, it will come out eventually. I am not saying to not remove them, just be prepared for the eventuality.

7. If you go to a dealer, document your side of the story factually, leave out the part where the dog ate your homework. Present to the dealer a well thought out, detailed point of view. Then before you allow them to file the claim, have them show you what they are filing to make sure your are best represented. Do not accept some cavalier response that you "need a new motor" Have them fully, on paper, define their rationale. Do not allow them to file something you do not agree with. Once that claim is filed and if rejected due to an error on their part, good luck getting it reversed.

8. If you can, start at a mod friendly dealership, preferably where the service department has people who own performance cars. If not try another dealer, nothing says that you have to go to the dealer you bought it from.

9. If you believe your problem is due to a part you bought from one of the vendors the worst thing you can do is pick a fight on the forum. Try acting like an adult and be honest with them and prepare you case. Forum fighting should be the last resort and if you do, make sure you are in the right or you will look like jerk to those on the forum.

To the OP, I feel for you and hindsight is much clearer. You won't be the first or the last and I wish you well in getting this resolved.
This. Someone needs to post this on every post that includes " My engine blew, FOMOCO told me to pound sand. Advice?".
What happened sucks and I wouldn't wish engine failure on any fellow enthusiast, but it happens. It happened on my first ST, bone stock, and it took months of back and forth before they bought it back.

·
Registered
344 Posts

Lol I am sure you would have great success suing COBB and proving their tune blew up an engine haha you are a class act. There have been many stock tune cars that failed in the same manner. The owners should probably sue ford right?

·
Registered
9,129 Posts

I'd go with this advice.
Thanks Double D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.