Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that pennzoil ruined their ultra with the good numbers, what's some of the best oil you can get other than redline or amsoil? Is it still pennzoil platinum at like 10 noack?

·
Registered
456 Posts
I only run amsoil. Found a local shop that does it for $70 with a pureOne oil filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Like UnfocusedST, I only use Mobile1 in all the engines I maintain, even my lawnmower. Never had a failure (knock on wood) and always had great results each time I've had oil analysis done.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I use mobil 1 in everything.... its cheap at wally world and all research I've done indicates it's works well (and I've done a few UOAs myself)

·
Registered
158 Posts
The type of oil you run is absolutely irrelevant. Replace it regularly; that is all that matters. Get it analyzed if you want to know how long you can run it for.

The type of air filter you run has a far greater impact on engine longevity and performance.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The type of oil you run is absolutely irrelevant. Replace it regularly; that is all that matters. Get it analyzed if you want to know how long you can run it for.

The type of air filter you run has a far greater impact on engine longevity and performance.
The oil you run absolutely has an impact. Would you run dollar store oil that lacks an API endorsement with an SG classification (this still exists)? What if you were to blow your engine and the dealer finds paperwork indicating your car has Rotella T6 in it instead of Ford spec'd oil? I would say it matters then as well.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The oil you run absolutely has an impact. Would you run dollar store oil that lacks an API endorsement with an SG classification (this still exists)? What if you were to blow your engine and the dealer finds paperwork indicating your car has Rotella T6 in it instead of Ford spec'd oil? I would say it matters then as well.
That's a silly argument. I didn't think I had to explain that of course the oil matters to a point. Peanut oil is technically oil, but no sane person would put that in their engine. You're arguing the extremes. Of course whatever oil you put in needs to meet Ford specs, if only for warranty concerns, but beyond that there's no difference whatever. Putting Amsoil in your car isn't going to make your engine last longer or give you more HP than putting an equivalent RP in, or M1, or Castrol Syn-tec, or even regular ol' GTX.

Buy whatever's the cheapest at the time, buy whatever makes you happy, but whatever you buy, replace it regularly. Which for these cars is 7,000-10,000 miles. I replaced my factory fill at 7,500 and there was a ton of life left in it. I've just replaced the second fill at 7,000 (and, more importantly, a full year), and I'm waiting on the analysis to come back for that. I suspect it too will have a ton of life left in it. The oil was M1 synthetic, if you're wondering, and that's what went back in. Got a big discount on the 5 quart jugs.

·
Registered
299 Posts
That's a silly argument. I didn't think I had to explain that of course the oil matters to a point. Peanut oil is technically oil, but no sane person would put that in their engine. You're arguing the extremes. Of course whatever oil you put in needs to meet Ford specs, if only for warranty concerns, but beyond that there's no difference whatever. Putting Amsoil in your car isn't going to make your engine last longer or give you more HP than putting an equivalent RP in, or M1, or Castrol Syn-tec, or even regular ol' GTX.

Buy whatever's the cheapest at the time, buy whatever makes you happy, but whatever you buy, replace it regularly. Which for these cars is 7,000-10,000 miles. I replaced my factory fill at 7,500 and there was a ton of life left in it. I've just replaced the second fill at 7,000 (and, more importantly, a full year), and I'm waiting on the analysis to come back for that. I suspect it too will have a ton of life left in it. The oil was M1 synthetic, if you're wondering, and that's what went back in. Got a big discount on the 5 quart jugs.
Fair enough and agree completely. I always live by the "know your audience" type of posting style. Never leave anything out there that might lead an idiot down the wrong road. lol.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Now that pennzoil ruined their ultra with the good numbers, what's some of the best oil you can get other than redline or amsoil? Is it still pennzoil platinum at like 10 noack?
What do you mean "...ruined their ultra..." please?

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
768 Posts
I also agree with the "use what you're comfortable with" approach. Good practices are a step above the brand. Brand loyalty to Amsoil gives me one-stop shopping for a known, proven, quality product and that's what I enjoy spending my money on.

Since it was brought up, what are guys getting for results on useful life left from oil analysis? Based on what I've heard around here, the oil indication on the car seems to be sporadic. I think I'm going to go 7,500 on this first oil change and send in an analysis. I did the first change at 1,000. This is also my first turbo car, so not sure where my comfort level is just yet.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,172 Posts
Mobil 1 FS for me also for every vehicle I own EXCEPT my Focus ST. Which has only endured 1 oil change in my possession and I used Ford Motorcraft Synthetic Blend...because it's actually really high quality oil and it's cheap. People with every car brand trust the Motorcraft Synthetic Blend because of it's testing it endures and good results. If I don't get it again I'll be doing M1 again.

Edit: I even use the Mobil 1 Racing 4t oil in my GSX-R (Can't use car oil in wet-clutch motorcycles)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I run Royal Purple for silly political reasons mostly, but it works for me

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
pennzoil ultra used to have lower noack before they swapped to the natural gas recipe

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
When I filled up last week I drained the old Motorcraft oil and went with Castrol Edge Full Synthetic. I'm with the others that said that as long as you use a quality brand full synthetic and change it on time you really can't go wrong. I used to swear by Royal Purple but i've come to realize it's just a bank-breaker with no noticeable gains.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts