Ford Focus ST Forum banner

2015 Windshield Wiper Problem (randomly switching to intermittent mode)

40K views 62 replies 25 participants last post by  SSgtjrobertson 
#1 · (Edited)
A couple of us mentioned having a wiper issue with our 2015 in another thread and I thought the issue deserved it's own thread to try and diagnose/fix the issue or at least help us bring it to Ford's attention.

In the video below my wipers are on "low" the whole time. I'm exiting the freeway and making a turn. As I approach the stop sign, the wipers seem to suddenly decide they are in "intermittent" mode instead of "low" mode even though I haven't touched the switch. They stay this way until the last ~5 seconds of the video I flip them up to "high" briefly then back to "low" and they behave normally. I cut the video there, but they go into intermittent again about a minute later as I approached another stop.

The fact that I was slowing down/stopping might just be a coincidence because I think I've had it do the same thing at steady speeds on the freeway but I'm not 100% sure on that.

If it does have something to do with coming to a stop, then maybe there is something messed up with Ford's "speed sensitive" wiper feature or something? Because they don't come back on full speed again until I flip to "high" and then back to "low." And you can hear me rev it out a little in 2nd gear up to about 45mph pulling away from the stop sign, so it's not like I was just crawling around at low speed.

I plan to take it to the dealer in a couple weeks to have them look at a couple things including this issue. I'm just trying to figure out how to replicate the issue to show them in case they think I'm accidentally hitting the switch myself in this video or something.

See less See more
#2 ·
Happened again this morning. This time at steady speed (45mph). Same scenario. Wipers set to "low" and about 25 seconds into the video they randomly go "intermittent." Near the end of the video I switch briefly to "high" and back to "low" and they operate normally again. I did an experiment this time. While they were wiping intermittent I adjusted the delay setting on the stalk and it had no effect on the wipers. Anyway, I'll probably show these videos to the service advisor whenever I end up taking it to the dealer.

#4 ·
Any updates on this one? My 2014 ST is doing this exact thing - wipers randomly go intermittent when the lever is in the continuous low position, and they do not respond to the intermittent delay dial, but flipping them to high and back to low will bring them back to normal for a while.

Just had it at the dealer for oil change, I mentioned this, they said it was "Normal" and I think that is complete BS -- will be going to a different dealer next time and ask the question again.

Sure is annoying - and dangerous - as it seems to choose really bad times (pouring rain) to suddenly start running intermittent.

This is really the only complaint I have about the car so far, after ~9 months and 10k miles.

#8 ·
I'd love to know if anyone resolved this. Had the same problem on my 2015 and it got so frustrating (and dangerous). Wiper switch replaced, but didn't fix the issue. Everything I now read seems to show this problem to be part of the "speed dependent" wiper feature. I'm now hunting a way to turn that feature OFF if that's possible.

#15 ·
I forgot mine did this. It works fine on intermittent and on low constant. But when it's raining cats and dogs 80% of the time it'll slow down even more than low. I can switch it to low and it'll speed up, then back to high and it'll be fast again. Then a few seconds later.... Slow again. It hasn't rained that hard in months here that I've had to drive in so I hadn't thought another thing about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 ·
My 2015 is having the same problem. If I could ever get my local service department to answer the phone maybe I could get it checked out... Been trying to schedule an appointment for weeks now.
My 2014 does this. It can be really dangerous if it starts raining hard.
Hey VenomousSVT, rtw07, and jrk,

Have you had a chance to speak with your Ford Dealers about this? Our certified techs will be best to diagnose this concern. Send over a PM with your names, VINs, your current mileage, the name of your dealers, and your best daytime phone numbers, and I'll look over some resources on my end to see how I can help. Talk to you soon!

Nick

#21 ·
the sad part is, all they have to do is spray it with water and turn the wipers on..LOL

#23 ·
we dont have rain sensing wipers

#24 · (Edited)
Yeah the moisture sensing bit sounds rather absurd.

I think the actual issue is this. IMO.

From what I've gathered, the BCM controls the wipers in these cars. It detects resistance from the wipers, such as when it stops raining and the wipers are on and slows them down to protect the motors. Apparently the OEM Ford wipers drag too much, and this is why replacing the wipers fixed this person's issue. Rediculous OEM Ford wipers do this. I'm assuming people without Ford wipers are having this issue too however..

#25 ·
Just got the car back. No diagnosis on the windshield wipers since they weren't able to duplicate the problem. Checked my dashcam footage. Tech drove car around. Tested wipers while stopped, and ran them while dry for a short period of time. Later, they ran it through a car wash multiple times and let the wipers run during the rinse cycle. The wipers appeared to slow down, then they were switched off, since the rinse cycle of the wash ended. It appears as if the wipers were never tested for more than 30 seconds, since they were limited by the rinse cycle duration of their car wash. Not noticing the issue. I was informed they were unable to replicate the issue.

Also I saw on camera during a different incident the tech was using the washer fluid system to lubricate the wipers, to test them. Everytime he would hit the washer fluid squirter it would re-trigger the wipers, and reset them. Just like how I reset them by switching modes on the wiper speed stalk. Thus, making the issue not appear.

All they needed to do was spray the windshield with a hose, and run the wipers. You'd see the issue appear, as I do when it is raining. I'm gonna try a new set of wipers and report back. As that was another dealers solution, and it worked apparently.

#27 ·
2 good things can be learned from your post...

1. ford technicians are mostly morons with little to no troubleshooting skills
2. I love having a dashcam (it tells the truth every time)

#29 ·
especially when they slow down to slower than slow and its monsooning outside

#32 ·
Is yours the black 13/14 car? Ive actually passed a couple in the last few weeks.

#31 ·
I recommend cleaning your windshield every couple weeks with rain-x spray that comes in the bottle that is windex shaped. I rarely have to use my wipers except when I run the wash setting with wiper fluid on the car for dust.

#41 ·
Good advice, and I'll go you one better: If you're a detailing fanatic and have a random orbital polisher, get some glass polish and polish the windshield every six months or so.

Like, 1 in a googolplex people do this (I'm one of them), and the efficiency and smoothness that wipers wipe is shocking. Also, cleaning the front window exterior is really pleasant (starts to get bad around 6 months, depending on where you live).

#34 ·
thats awesome.. honestly you are the first ST i've seen in 18k miles that has pulled up and acknowledged me.. most around here are oblivious. You gave me the thumbs up first and I came back past you returning the favor.. I was actually shocked to get a thumbs up! I even took to the NC fst facebook page trying to figure out who I saw..LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.