Ford Focus ST Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
I recommend cleaning your windshield every couple weeks with rain-x spray that comes in the bottle that is windex shaped. I rarely have to use my wipers except when I run the wash setting with wiper fluid on the car for dust.
Good advice, and I'll go you one better: If you're a detailing fanatic and have a random orbital polisher, get some glass polish and polish the windshield every six months or so.

Like, 1 in a googolplex people do this (I'm one of them), and the efficiency and smoothness that wipers wipe is shocking. Also, cleaning the front window exterior is really pleasant (starts to get bad around 6 months, depending on where you live).

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Great. Just like in that YouTube video I posted on Page 3, my dealer is clueless as to how to fix the issue. They have supposedly have a call into Ford, and a representative will be sent out, to try and fix my car. The dealer said my wipers almost slowed to a stop. They were unable to give me a time-frame as to when anything would happen. I called Ford Customer Service, and I am supposed to get a call tomorrow to talk to my regional customer service manager. Hopefully I can get someone out there soon. I was told I could pick up my car until the Ford Rep was sent out. However, Metro Detroit is supposed to get some snow, and be nasty. I want working windshield wipers.. We will see.. This is business day 20 of the dealer having my car.
Thanks for the update, BlackST1. I've added this info to your case. Don't hesitate to reach out if you need me!

Nick

·
Registered
72 Posts
To start off, I am fairly certain the washer fluid I am using is this: SPLASH® ALL SEASON 4-in-1 Windshield Washer Fluid with rain repeller, bug remover and de-icer

I am also using the OEM wipers which are now almost 10 months old.

Just heard back from the dealer. The dealer started off by asking me if there was any products I use on my windshield. I haven't used anything on the vehicle other than, soap and water either from my bucket at home, or a quarter car wash. No products have been applied to the windshield, other than soap, water, and washer fluid. The dealer said they had ordered new wiper motors for my car, then apparently Ford noticed. I was told 9 engineers were sent out to look at my car, who all had different involvement with the development of the windshield wipers. They came to the conclusion my washer fluid is leaving behind a film that increases resistance on the windshield. They cleaned the windshield with a chemical, and I am told my windshield wipers work properly now. So my question is: Do I have to clean my windshield every time I want to use my wipers? My dealer tells me "No, periodically I am just going to have to use a different cleaner to clean the windshield". He also had indicated, it is the chemicals in the washer fluid that can cause this (kind of malfunction). He also indicated the above washer fluid contains "Rain repeller, Bug remover, and de-icer" As well as, "Water repeller leaves a residue on that windshield, and that could cause friction and resistance, that is causing the problem".

I was told another Ford Focus in Florida, (potentially the one in the above video?) had the same problem. Every part in the system was replaced, and the problem still occurred. It seems like my dealer is inferring our cases are similar in that they could both involve condiments for 3rd party substances, and not fault of their windshield wiper system. Even though I have dashcam footage of the dealer washing my car, in their car-wash multiple times. Could it be their soap in the car-wash enhanced my problem?

Personally, I believe Fords windshield wiper system is a poorly-engineered mess. The wipers are not very fast, and not powerful. I think the computerized side of the wiper system is too sensitive. It seems any minor resistance on the wipers causes them to slow down, as I have been experiencing. How am I supposed to use my wipers when it is snowing, if there is too much resistance to use them in the rain? What should I do when I experience this problem in the future? Am I going to be told to just clean the windshield? So far no definitive answer has been given to me. They only 'think' the washer fluid, or a foreign residue was causing this issue. My dealer told me they did testing after cleaning the windshield, and the problem went away. Has anyone else used this washer fluid, and experienced issues with their windshield wipers?

I will be picking the car up when I get a chance, at the latest by Monday.

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
To start off, I am fairly certain the washer fluid I am using is this: SPLASH® ALL SEASON 4-in-1 Windshield Washer Fluid with rain repeller, bug remover and de-icer

I am also using the OEM wipers which are now almost 10 months old.

Just heard back from the dealer. The dealer started off by asking me if there was any products I use on my windshield. I haven't used anything on the vehicle other than, soap and water either from my bucket at home, or a quarter car wash. No products have been applied to the windshield, other than soap, water, and washer fluid. The dealer said they had ordered new wiper motors for my car, then apparently Ford noticed. I was told 9 engineers were sent out to look at my car, who all had different involvement with the development of the windshield wipers. They came to the conclusion my washer fluid is leaving behind a film that increases resistance on the windshield. They cleaned the windshield with a chemical, and I am told my windshield wipers work properly now. So my question is: Do I have to clean my windshield every time I want to use my wipers? My dealer tells me "No, periodically I am just going to have to use a different cleaner to clean the windshield". He also had indicated, it is the chemicals in the washer fluid that can cause this (kind of malfunction). He also indicated the above washer fluid contains "Rain repeller, Bug remover, and de-icer" As well as, "Water repeller leaves a residue on that windshield, and that could cause friction and resistance, that is causing the problem".

I was told another Ford Focus in Florida, (potentially the one in the above video?) had the same problem. Every part in the system was replaced, and the problem still occurred. It seems like my dealer is inferring our cases are similar in that they could both involve condiments for 3rd party substances, and not fault of their windshield wiper system. Even though I have dashcam footage of the dealer washing my car, in their car-wash multiple times. Could it be their soap in the car-wash enhanced my problem?

Personally, I believe Fords windshield wiper system is a poorly-engineered mess. The wipers are not very fast, and not powerful. I think the computerized side of the wiper system is too sensitive. It seems any minor resistance on the wipers causes them to slow down, as I have been experiencing. How am I supposed to use my wipers when it is snowing, if there is too much resistance to use them in the rain? What should I do when I experience this problem in the future? Am I going to be told to just clean the windshield? So far no definitive answer has been given to me. They only 'think' the washer fluid, or a foreign residue was causing this issue. My dealer told me they did testing after cleaning the windshield, and the problem went away. Has anyone else used this washer fluid, and experienced issues with their windshield wipers?

I will be picking the car up when I get a chance, at the latest by Monday.
its funny how bullsh1t their response.. ive never even pulled my washer switch in and mine does this.. its still full with whatever shipped in the car minus what evaporated.

·
Registered
222 Posts
They are just trying to direct the cause away from the car to something not their problem. That washer stuff with rain repellant included offers some improvement over nothing at all but it doesn't come anywhere near applying something on the windshield. Bottom line imo...if you can't get the wipers to work right and they won't fix it then you need to remove the need for the wipers. Ditch the washer repellent and put something on the windshield. I wash my car once a month and usually do the rain-ex spray every other time.

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
They are just trying to direct the cause away from the car to something not their problem. That washer stuff with rain repellant included offers some improvement over nothing at all but it doesn't come anywhere near applying something on the windshield. Bottom line imo...if you can't get the wipers to work right and they won't fix it then you need to remove the need for the wipers. Ditch the washer repellent and put something on the windshield. I wash my car once a month and usually do the rain-ex spray every other time.
That's all they do... No idea what the issue is? Blame anything you can fabricate a story for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jxp4343

·
Registered
292 Posts
I glanced at the video, and didn't go through the entire thread... But I have once replaced both wiper motors on a fusion (same type of wiper system) for the wipers slowing down. It took about 10 mins of standing in detail spraying water on it to duplicate. I haven't noticed, but do 15 up focus come with Auto wiper feature? If not, they shouldn't have any link to speed function.

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
Well, now I know all my years as a master tech isn't worth **** :/
Not everyone falls into this category. But sadly enough, enough people do that has created this terrible opinion.

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
I glanced at the video, and didn't go through the entire thread... But I have once replaced both wiper motors on a fusion (same type of wiper system) for the wipers slowing down. It took about 10 mins of standing in detail spraying water on it to duplicate. I haven't noticed, but do 15 up focus come with Auto wiper feature? If not, they shouldn't have any link to speed function.
We don't have auto wipers on a 15. It's literally the motor just slowing down. I don't know if the motor is overheating or if it's losing voltage for some reason.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I picked up the car and drove it home. Everything seems fine so far.

I went through all the dashcam footage. The dealer had a fun time recalibrating my wipers. Lol. Not hitting the A-piller anymore. I have multiple clips of the dealer noticing the wipers slow down with water being sprayed on the windshield. I have the footage with the engineers. Looks like there was actually 9 of them present. They see the windshield wipers slow down, they talk about cleaning the windshield. The spray it again (albeit a little different spray pattern) and now the wipers seem to work fine on high. Their story seems to check out. How strange!

Oh yeah the car also got stuck in the snow while they had it and they had to hand push it out. Fail. Looks like a snow plow had pushed a bunch of snow in front of it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2014 ST had the same problem as described, with the wipers slowing down to intermittent mode on their own during fairly heavy rainfall. The car was still under warranty, so I took it to the dealer. First they replaced the wiper switch, then the body control module. They stated that the problem still existed, and had contacted Ford for further advice. Ford Service basically said "check all the wiring and connectors again," which the dealer did, but to no avail.

I decided to do a little homework. The wiper motors are supplied by Bosch... unlike older cars, each wiper has its own motor, and they apparently can communicate with each other (hence the interesting behavior where you can manually move one wiper blade out of alignment, and the system will reset back to an aligned state). They also have a clever feature, where if the wiper is operated with a dry windshield, the motor(s) will detect that condition, probably through either a motor torque or current sensor, and automatically slow down. For proof (and you may need this - the dealer service manager thought I was nuts at first), there is a video of a Bosch engineer very proudly showing off this feature at this web site:Bosch wiper systems and wiper direct drive on Driving the Nation | Driving the Nation.

Of course, this feature should only occur when the windshield is dry, not when it is raining. So it appears that the motor and/or sensor can fail in a way that causes the wipers to drop into intermittent mode when they really shouldn't. Armed with this knowledge, I asked them to just replace both wiper motors. They agreed (probably hoping I and my ST would just go away)... however, after they replaced them both, they said it was still dropping into intermittent mode. So I asked them, "are you testing with a dry or wet windshield?" They replied, "this car doesn't have rain-sensitive wipers, so it shouldn't care whether the windshield is dry or wet."

It took several in-person conversations with the service manager, including showing him the video at the "Driving the Nation" link, and having them pull a new vehicle from the lot to do a side-by-side test before they agreed that they should test the wipers with a wet windshield. Sure enough, my ST wipers worked properly with a wet windshield at the dealer, and have continued to work properly on the road since then (a few months now).

The amazing thing is that neither the dealer nor the Ford Service people seemed aware of the "feature" that Bosch has introduced in their new generation of wiper motors, let alone the potential failure mode and required testing with a wet windshield. Hopefully, this information will help anyone else who runs into this situation.

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
My 2014 ST had the same problem as described, with the wipers slowing down to intermittent mode on their own during fairly heavy rainfall. The car was still under warranty, so I took it to the dealer. First they replaced the wiper switch, then the body control module. They stated that the problem still existed, and had contacted Ford for further advice. Ford Service basically said "check all the wiring and connectors again," which the dealer did, but to no avail.

I decided to do a little homework. The wiper motors are supplied by Bosch... unlike older cars, each wiper has its own motor, and they apparently can communicate with each other (hence the interesting behavior where you can manually move one wiper blade out of alignment, and the system will reset back to an aligned state). They also have a clever feature, where if the wiper is operated with a dry windshield, the motor(s) will detect that condition, probably through either a motor torque or current sensor, and automatically slow down. For proof (and you may need this - the dealer service manager thought I was nuts at first), there is a video of a Bosch engineer very proudly showing off this feature at this web site:Bosch wiper systems and wiper direct drive on Driving the Nation | Driving the Nation.

Of course, this feature should only occur when the windshield is dry, not when it is raining. So it appears that the motor and/or sensor can fail in a way that causes the wipers to drop into intermittent mode when they really shouldn't. Armed with this knowledge, I asked them to just replace both wiper motors. They agreed (probably hoping I and my ST would just go away)... however, after they replaced them both, they said it was still dropping into intermittent mode. So I asked them, "are you testing with a dry or wet windshield?" They replied, "this car doesn't have rain-sensitive wipers, so it shouldn't care whether the windshield is dry or wet."

It took several in-person conversations with the service manager, including showing him the video at the "Driving the Nation" link, and having them pull a new vehicle from the lot to do a side-by-side test before they agreed that they should test the wipers with a wet windshield. Sure enough, my ST wipers worked properly with a wet windshield at the dealer, and have continued to work properly on the road since then (a few months now).

The amazing thing is that neither the dealer nor the Ford Service people seemed aware of the "feature" that Bosch has introduced in their new generation of wiper motors, let alone the potential failure mode and required testing with a wet windshield. Hopefully, this information will help anyone else who runs into this situation.
so are you saying this isnt a problem and yours is fine without changing anything? im slightly confused

·
Registered
5 Posts
May I ask how you ever got them to replace the motors without some sort of trouble code getting thrown?

I am still having this issue, and just got through a lot of frustrating conversations with both the service manager at the local dealer and Ford customer service. Both say only the other one can help me. The dealer will absolutely not touch the motors unless their diagnostic computer says to. They told me very clearly that the motors could be completely non-functional, even smoke billowing out of them, and it wouldn't matter - their hands are tied unless the diagnostic computer says to replace it OR Ford gives them a special charge code to override and replace the part anyway.

Conversely, Ford said they absolutely will not do anything under warranty unless the dealer can replicate the problem. (and to them "replicating" means getting a trouble code and only getting a trouble code). So I have no resolution.

I've essentially been told by Ford and the dealer that although I may have broken windshield wipers on my ST, that's my problem and they really don't care. Needless to say this is REALLY disappointing to see them weasel out of fixing a clear problem with the car, especially one that probably wouldn't even cost that much on their end.
Buyer beware to anyone expecting warranty support out of Ford!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you have a dash cam or gopro? Use that the get video proof.
Yes, but dealer told me that doesn't matter. To be covered by warranty, it doesn't matter what the wipers actually do. The only thing that matters is whether or not they get a trouble code from the computer. No exceptions. This is literally what the service manager and tech told me today.

When I asked them if they had even attempted to replicate the issue, they admitted they didn't really do anything to replicate it, because it takes time to do that, and they are not getting paid for this warranty diagnosis work. The only thing they do is plug it into their computer, read codes, and report "No trouble found" and send me home.

My warranty expired today, which is why I was on a renewed push last week to get something done about it, but failed miserably. So now I'll just have to pay out of pocket to replace the motors if I want working wipers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The dealer is the one making up stuff.
I got basically the same line from Ford customer service though. They said the dealer must "prove" that the part is actually faulty for them to cover it. I asked what is acceptable for "proof" and she couldn't say because they don't have that "technical data" - only the dealer could tell that. Back at the dealer, they said the only thing on their side is the factory diagnostic procedure, and every warranty repair has to have the documentation with it to back it up. No matter how obvious the problem is - the part could be on fire with photos of it burning -- if it doesn't have the electronic trail from their warranty diagnosis system OR a special override code from Ford -- it cannot be covered under warranty, case closed.

All in all, a pretty miserable experience for me, from both sides (Ford and the absolutely terrible dealer here in town).

·
Premium Member
13,959 Posts
Yes, but dealer told me that doesn't matter. To be covered by warranty, it doesn't matter what the wipers actually do. The only thing that matters is whether or not they get a trouble code from the computer. No exceptions. This is literally what the service manager and tech told me today.

When I asked them if they had even attempted to replicate the issue, they admitted they didn't really do anything to replicate it, because it takes time to do that, and they are not getting paid for this warranty diagnosis work. The only thing they do is plug it into their computer, read codes, and report "No trouble found" and send me home.

My warranty expired today, which is why I was on a renewed push last week to get something done about it, but failed miserably. So now I'll just have to pay out of pocket to replace the motors if I want working wipers.
Sounds like they don't want to work on your car. I've had both the valve and my turbo tear and transmission go out without codes and replaced under warranty. Go find another dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi fellow st owners I have a 2017 focus st. I have similar issues with mine it started yesterday June 28 2020. I got home and accidently moved the switch up as I turned off car, they wouldn't turn off, yes the car was completely off but until I unplugged the battery they stopped. The next day I turned on the car went to do some errands everything was normal when they turned on by themselves I didn't touch the switch. Now I can't get them to stop even when off so I took off the fuse. Any one feel my frustration with this out there. Anyone fixed this problem before

41 - 60 of 61 Posts