Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
the sad part is, all they have to do is spray it with water and turn the wipers on..LOL

·
Registered
72 Posts

Check out this video and the comment from this poster. Basically saying ford said her wipers were moisture sensing and the sensors were bad. Thus replacing the wipers fixed the issue. Hmm.... My dealer has had my car for 8 days now.

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
we dont have rain sensing wipers

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yeah the moisture sensing bit sounds rather absurd.

I think the actual issue is this. IMO.

From what I've gathered, the BCM controls the wipers in these cars. It detects resistance from the wipers, such as when it stops raining and the wipers are on and slows them down to protect the motors. Apparently the OEM Ford wipers drag too much, and this is why replacing the wipers fixed this person's issue. Rediculous OEM Ford wipers do this. I'm assuming people without Ford wipers are having this issue too however..

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just got the car back. No diagnosis on the windshield wipers since they weren't able to duplicate the problem. Checked my dashcam footage. Tech drove car around. Tested wipers while stopped, and ran them while dry for a short period of time. Later, they ran it through a car wash multiple times and let the wipers run during the rinse cycle. The wipers appeared to slow down, then they were switched off, since the rinse cycle of the wash ended. It appears as if the wipers were never tested for more than 30 seconds, since they were limited by the rinse cycle duration of their car wash. Not noticing the issue. I was informed they were unable to replicate the issue.

Also I saw on camera during a different incident the tech was using the washer fluid system to lubricate the wipers, to test them. Everytime he would hit the washer fluid squirter it would re-trigger the wipers, and reset them. Just like how I reset them by switching modes on the wiper speed stalk. Thus, making the issue not appear.

All they needed to do was spray the windshield with a hose, and run the wipers. You'd see the issue appear, as I do when it is raining. I'm gonna try a new set of wipers and report back. As that was another dealers solution, and it worked apparently.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are you still having this problem? I was considering buying a used ST and I came across your post. I see from your video that you have a lot of water beading on the windshield. Do you use any kind of rain-x product or maybe you have excessive wax buildup from a car wash?

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
Just got the car back. No diagnosis on the windshield wipers since they weren't able to duplicate the problem. Checked my dashcam footage. Tech drove car around. Tested wipers while stopped, and ran them while dry for a short period of time. Later, they ran it through a car wash multiple times and let the wipers run during the rinse cycle. The wipers appeared to slow down, then they were switched off, since the rinse cycle of the wash ended. It appears as if the wipers were never tested for more than 30 seconds, since they were limited by the rinse cycle duration of their car wash. Not noticing the issue. I was informed they were unable to replicate the issue.

Also I saw on camera during a different incident the tech was using the washer fluid system to lubricate the wipers, to test them. Everytime he would hit the washer fluid squirter it would re-trigger the wipers, and reset them. Just like how I reset them by switching modes on the wiper speed stalk. Thus, making the issue not appear.

All they needed to do was spray the windshield with a hose, and run the wipers. You'd see the issue appear, as I do when it is raining. I'm gonna try a new set of wipers and report back. As that was another dealers solution, and it worked apparently.
2 good things can be learned from your post...

1. ford technicians are mostly morons with little to no troubleshooting skills
2. I love having a dashcam (it tells the truth every time)

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
I think in general the wipers (even on high) just don't go fast enough. Quite frustrating.
especially when they slow down to slower than slow and its monsooning outside

·
Registered
30 Posts
^Very true. Hey, did I see you the other day on I-85 North around 5:30pm? I passed someone with the sticker on the side and they gave me the thumbs up.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I recommend cleaning your windshield every couple weeks with rain-x spray that comes in the bottle that is windex shaped. I rarely have to use my wipers except when I run the wash setting with wiper fluid on the car for dust.

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
^Very true. Hey, did I see you the other day on I-85 North around 5:30pm? I passed someone with the sticker on the side and they gave me the thumbs up.
Is yours the black 13/14 car? Ive actually passed a couple in the last few weeks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thats me! Stock right now except for a BOV valve. I have the focusst sticker where yours is and an NC State alumni license plate frame.

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
Thats me! Stock right now except for a BOV valve. I have the focusst sticker where yours is and an NC State alumni license plate frame.
thats awesome.. honestly you are the first ST i've seen in 18k miles that has pulled up and acknowledged me.. most around here are oblivious. You gave me the thumbs up first and I came back past you returning the favor.. I was actually shocked to get a thumbs up! I even took to the NC fst facebook page trying to figure out who I saw..LOL

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah lol I remember that. Before you passed me, I thought you either couldn't see through my tint or were another oblivious ST driver. I have had one other guy acknowledge me but that's it. I don't think anyone on I-85 knows what an ST is ... I get passed by Integras & mustangs egging each other on etc.and nobody even looks my way.

P.S. your lights look sick in the rear view mirror.

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
Yeah lol I remember that. Before you passed me, I thought you either couldn't see through my tint or were another oblivious ST driver. I have had one other guy acknowledge me but that's it. I don't think anyone on I-85 knows what an ST is ... I get passed by Integras & mustangs egging each other on etc.and nobody even looks my way.

P.S. your lights look sick in the rear view mirror.
i like to think my car looks a little more aggressive than the typical focus... but alas i'm in the same boat.. Ive had one wrx owner 10 months ago come past me in traffic and give a little romp on it. Other than that, i'm apparently flying below the radar..LOL

thank you sir

·
Registered
72 Posts
Are you still having this problem? I was considering buying a used ST and I came across your post. I see from your video that you have a lot of water beading on the windshield. Do you use any kind of rain-x product or maybe you have excessive wax buildup from a car wash?
Not my car in the wiper video I linked.

On my car though. I have not used rain x or any other products on my windshield. Owned the car since it had 3 miles on it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
They adjusted my wipers and still have my car. Looks like they are looking into the issue with the wipers. They said they got them to slow down but only when the windshield started to dry out. Guy said the hose fell off so they have to try again or something. What!? Lol. We will see. This is business day 18.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Great. Just like in that YouTube video I posted on Page 3, my dealer is clueless as to how to fix the issue. They have supposedly have a call into Ford, and a representative will be sent out, to try and fix my car. The dealer said my wipers almost slowed to a stop. They were unable to give me a time-frame as to when anything would happen. I called Ford Customer Service, and I am supposed to get a call tomorrow to talk to my regional customer service manager. Hopefully I can get someone out there soon. I was told I could pick up my car until the Ford Rep was sent out. However, Metro Detroit is supposed to get some snow, and be nasty. I want working windshield wipers.. We will see.. This is business day 20 of the dealer having my car.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts