Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve tried searching on this and I haven’t found much info. I’m looking for a recommendation on a relay to use to get the bixenon function working on retrofitted headlights in my 2015 ST1. I’ve also been told that running bixenons can interfere with the DRLs. Is there is a way to set it up so that the DRLs still function the same? I would prefer not to have to splice into factory wiring.

·
Registered
328 Posts
when you say bi-xenon do you mean separate bulbs or just activating the cutoff shield on a single bulb? Most retrofits use the high beam bulb wire to splice into and activate the cutoff shield. I don't really know any way you can do this without splicing into factory wiring.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when you say bi-xenon do you mean separate bulbs or just activating the cutoff shield on a single bulb? Most retrofits use the high beam bulb wire to splice into and activate the cutoff shield. I don't really know any way you can do this without splicing into factory wiring.
Yeah I’m talking about activating the cutoff shield. I’m trying to avoid messing with that massive harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
If I remember correctly, when I did mine there was a wire for the cut off shield motor that I just spliced into the positive wire for the high beams right after the plug. I left my high beam bulbs plugged in so both the shield and stock high beams activate when I turn my brights on. HIDs shouldn't affect your DRLs, your factory harness is still plugged into the stock headlight to work the turn signals, parking lights, ect.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I remember correctly, when I did mine there was a wire for the cut off shield motor that I just spliced into the positive wire for the high beams right after the plug. I left my high beam bulbs plugged in so both the shield and stock high beams activate when I turn my brights on. HIDs shouldn't affect your DRLs, your factory harness is still plugged into the stock headlight to work the turn signals, parking lights, ect.
Just realized I never responded here. This worked for me. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
454 Posts
Any chance one of you guys took pictures when you did your retrofit? Really need some advice when it comes to retrofitting mine.

Sent from my OnePlus 6 using Tapatalk

• 2017 Focus ST • ST1 • Kona Blue • Sync 3 Upgrade with HD Radio & Sirius XM

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Yeah I’m talking about activating the cutoff shield. I’m trying to avoid messing with that massive harness.
You can buy a splitter from the retrofit source to do this with out splicing into anything, aka its 100% reversible with out any issues. I'm in the process of a retrofit for my brother's town car and opted for splitting his high beams connection to the projector (the pair of splitters were $5.) At least with the projectors I am using, Mini D2S Stage III, they come with the wiring and a 9006m connector, so I bough a 9005m splitter to 9006f/9005f, will be plug and play. I believe the focus uses H1 for the highs, so you'd just need to match on what splitter you get to what your projector uses. So like the focus, he will have the projectors flip up for high beams as well as the halogen bulb for highs turned on

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/high-beam-splitters.html

I can post a picture when i get home if any one is curious to what they look like wired up

·
Registered
454 Posts
You can buy a splitter from the retrofit source to do this with out splicing into anything, aka its 100% reversible with out any issues. I'm in the process of a retrofit for my brother's town car and opted for splitting his high beams connection to the projector (the pair of splitters were $5.) At least with the projectors I am using, Mini D2S Stage III, they come with the wiring and a 9006m connector, so I bough a 9005m splitter to 9006f/9005f, will be plug and play. I believe the focus uses H1 for the highs, so you'd just need to match on what splitter you get to what your projector uses. So like the focus, he will have the projectors flip up for high beams as well as the halogen bulb for highs turned on

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/high-beam-splitters.html

I can post a picture when i get home if any one is curious to what they look like wired up
I would definitely love to see this! Thanks brotha.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I would definitely love to see this! Thanks brotha.

My order for the splitters was delayed in the mail all week, just arrived today.

Alright this looks a little crowded but it should all work out.
On the far left, green wire is original low beam, will get routed to the relay.
Then on top we have the hid connections, will get routed to the ballast.
Below that is white and brown, that's coming from the projector for the high beam shield
On the right, yellow is the original high beam that is now being split. One end will go to the high beam bulb and the other to the white/brown for the projector.

Some how everything fits inside the original backing. Need the car here so I can see where best to drill a hole for the hid connections and relay to come out:

Then before after:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts